The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-12-2023, 01:13 AM

Default Velcro on my Rainsong. Was it a bad idea?

For my Rainsong Smokey I bought the armadillo armrest. https://armadillorest.com/

The original attachment method uses suction cups. Unfortunately due to the satin finish of this guitar the armrest won't stay on.
Since I got tired of re-attaching it every other day, I decided to stick a piece of velcro to the side of the guitar. The velcro counterpart went to the armrest and it works great now.

But immediately afterwards I was having second thoughts. Would this damage the finish in the long run? Or did I maybe already ruin it?
I am not planning to take the velcro off anytime soon, but I am afraid that once I do I won't like what I find underneath. Any thoughts?
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

Last edited by mountainmaster; 05-12-2023 at 04:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-12-2023, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I don't think you would have a problem removing as long as you use the method of removing a pickguard. Tan lines however, who's to know being a carbon fiber material versus wood.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:06 AM

I've removed a John Pearse armrest from a gloss RainSong with no ill effect. On a satin finish I think it would be fine as long as the finish wasn't compromised underneath the adhesive area before velcro was applied. Assuming the surface was smooth and you take your time it should be fine. Naptha works well to clean up residue that may be left.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:49 AM

Thanks for the advice. I guess as always when removing sticky stuff you have to be careful and don't rush things.

Actually the suction cups have already left faint markings which I am unable to clean off. The satin finish is just slightly more shiny there. The same happened in the area near the sound hole where I rest my pinky when I finger pick.

In the end it is not the looks that count but the sound and how comfortable the instrument plays. And for me an armrest certainly adds to that comfort.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 05-13-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Thanks for the advice. I guess as always when removing sticky stuff you have to be careful and don't rush things.

Actually the suction cups have already left faint markings which I am unable to clean off. The satin finish is just slightly more shiny there. The same happened in the area near the sound hole where I rest my pinky when I finger pick.

In the end it is not the looks that count but the sound and how comfortable the instrument plays. And for me an armrest certainly adds to that comfort.
I like satin/ matte finishes but what you mention is my biggest complaint about it. I've just learned to embrace it.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:53 AM

The Rainsongs that I have are all gloss, and it is hard to imagine Velcro hurting that automotive clear coat. Uneven polishing of the matte finish may be another thing though. I like the bevels on my Emeralds for comfort but find that my flat picking accuracy suffers a bit. I don’t always hit the correct bass string, as if my reference point is changed. Apparently the sharp corners help anchor my forearm better. Who knew?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber