The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2022, 08:00 AM

Given those specifics about your needs, I'd pick up a Taylor Academy (A10 of A12 depending on if you like a dread or a GC body...) and fit it with a K&K Pure Mini pickup. Add a hard case if your guitar travels in the baggage hold.

Risks are minimal, and you can easily duplicate the whole process in the event that staff runs over your case with the baggage tractor on the tarmac.

Watch the face up and face down fall on concrete at 14:30 to verify that clumsiness isn't an excuse not to have one:

Old 09-14-2022, 08:02 AM

What you need is something like a mid/late 70s Yari or Tak.

Soemthing that already has a 100,000 miles on it but is still in decent shape

the Yari's from that era are pretty much the workhorse choice.

For example.. I have a '78 DY74, it's just the kind of thing you'd be looking for.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-14-2022, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

My first question,

Is the sound of Your acoustic guitar the main focus of your act? As my standards vary depending on what I'm doing, If the focus is my guitar playing, I would take a different approach than, say, backing up some singers or playing in a rock band. This would usually determine What I would use for any gig.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
My first question,

Is the sound of Your acoustic guitar the main focus of your act? As my standards vary depending on what I'm doing, If the focus is my guitar playing, I would take a different approach than, say, backing up some singers or playing in a rock band. This would usually determine What I would use for any gig.
Generally speaking it will be a solo act sort of thing, with vocals the focus, swiftly followed by guitar. Mostly with bare fingers. While it's not the focus per se, it's not likely to be competing with other instruments too much.

Something with a good solid base tone that isn't too precious to leave out on a stand I guess.

Suggestions are great and hugely appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
durable, electro acoustic, gigging, live acoustic guitar, live sound