The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-18-2024, 05:04 AM

Default Any interest in MIDI guitars for classical players?

Hello classical guitarists,
I am planning to do a video about the many uses of MIDI guitars for classical players on my YouTube channel called MIDI Guitarist. Would any of you be interested in this topic and, if so, what would be your questions/specific interests?
Thanks a lot for any feedback!

Here is one use example:

https://youtu.be/snCRmI51nqo?si=nytnKq3KTlSuzlsW
Old 03-19-2024, 02:25 PM

Does it have individual strings too? Like you could have the 6th string be a brass horns and the 5th an obo and so on?
Old 03-19-2024, 03:07 PM

It depends on the MIDI guitar system/interface you use, but in most cases that is possible.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:17 PM

About the only value I see in this for the vast brunt of classical music would be to have a familiar interface to enter (guitar) music in score editors. If that can be done reliably.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-19-2024, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Nuenning View Post
I am planning to do a video about the many uses of MIDI guitars for classical players on my YouTube channel called MIDI Guitarist. Would any of you be interested in this topic and, if so, what would be your questions/specific interests?

Here is one use example:

Yes I have great and strong interest in your video. I'm actively attempting to explore this area in classical guitar. I'm so glad you are making this.

I'm interested in the RMC system with the PolyDrive II's Poly Out. Nikolai Svishev has great videos with a 10-string demonstrating an RMC and MIDI guitar. However, I would also like to know what other options I have other than an RMC pickup without having to put a GK pickup on my guitar.

I'm going with a Boss GM-800 due to the Zen Core engine and good tracking over its predecessors, but I would like to know very specifically what other modern guitar synths are out there and their pros/cons over the GM-800. Andrew Keeping has a great video on this topic with Classical Guitar with computer-based synths for reference.

If you show examples specific to classical guitar try to ensure it is with classical guitar technique otherwise a lot of classical guitarists here turn off.
You may also want to put in it an introduction to MIDI in general and a primer on why anyone like us would go through the trouble to try this out.

Thanks a lot, and I'm greatly looking forward to your video.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
About the only value I see in this for the vast brunt of classical music would be to have a familiar interface to enter (guitar) music in score editors. If that can be done reliably.
This can be done and will be covered in the video - among many other use cases that might surprise you (like for instance playing Bach chorals on a reed organ).
Old 03-20-2024, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimata View Post
Yes I have great and strong interest in your video. I'm actively attempting to explore this area in classical guitar. I'm so glad you are making this.

I'm interested in the RMC system with the PolyDrive II's Poly Out. Nikolai Svishev has great videos with a 10-string demonstrating an RMC and MIDI guitar. However, I would also like to know what other options I have other than an RMC pickup without having to put a GK pickup on my guitar.

I'm going with a Boss GM-800 due to the Zen Core engine and good tracking over its predecessors, but I would like to know very specifically what other modern guitar synths are out there and their pros/cons over the GM-800. Andrew Keeping has a great video on this topic with Classical Guitar with computer-based synths for reference.

If you show examples specific to classical guitar try to ensure it is with classical guitar technique otherwise a lot of classical guitarists here turn off.
You may also want to put in it an introduction to MIDI in general and a primer on why anyone like us would go through the trouble to try this out.

Thanks a lot, and I'm greatly looking forward to your video.
Thank you for your interest and the detailed reply with all the constructive input - this is much appreciated! I use three different MIDI guitars with nylon strings which are all equipped with the RMC system and will be presented in the video(s).
The GM-800 is indeed a great leap forward as far as responsiveness and sounds are concerned and I use it with additional sounds from my computer based setup. If you are interested, I have done a video series on the 10 best use cases for the GM-800 - here is part 1:

https://youtu.be/gx_mA5C-Lak?si=0mLXIHG11RGRN5pG

I‘ll be playing only with classical technique in the upcoming video and I will also cover the many reasons why classical guitarists are predestined to be potentially great MIDI guitar players and can make great use of this technology.

I wish you lots of fun with your MIDI guitar explorations!
Old 03-20-2024, 02:38 PM

Excellent! I will look forward to the video and will add your channel on my app
Old 03-20-2024, 03:48 PM

I think that a midi pickup, synth and looper are inspirational fixins for a great cover of Tubular Bells.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I think that a midi pickup, synth and looper are inspirational fixins for a great cover of Tubular Bells.
I couldn’t agree more - here is the beginning:

https://youtube.com/shorts/vsZQHluSN...ndXZEtghnWFtr8

Last edited by Eddie Nuenning; 03-20-2024 at 04:12 PM. Reason: YouTube error
Old 03-20-2024, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I couldn’t agree more - here is the beginning:

https://youtube.com/shorts/vsZQHluSN...ndXZEtghnWFtr8
YES! Is that a grand piano patch?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 03-21-2024, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
YES! Is that a grand piano patch?
It was done with a modeling software called Pianoteq which is very versatile.
Here you can see the full screen version with the interface + 5 other popular piano songs played on my MIDI guitar setup:

https://youtu.be/dwMmy06aMZI?si=m4Lpnxzh5mHe4YO0
Old 03-29-2024, 01:55 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:

Here is one use example:

As far as I am concerned there is one guy who shines above the rest when it comes to MiDi. Steve Oliver, classical technique, great technician, but even more he crosses over all styles and Genres.

If you want a great resource for your project I can think of no one more knowledgeable than Steve. Message me and I will see if I can hook you up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gu5...ew?usp=sharing

He made this for me one morning in about 20 mins.

This is a GoAA polydrive replacement preamp, made to fit the Godin multiacs. It is mounted in the side of a Cordoba classical guitar.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:56 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:

Here is one use example:

As far as I am concerned there is one guy who shines above the rest when it comes to MiDi. Steve Oliver, classical technique, great technician, but even more he cross over all styles and Genres.

If you want a great resource for your project I can think of no one more knowledgeable than Steve Message me and I will see if I can hook you up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gu5...ew?usp=sharing

He made this for me one morning in about 20 mins.

This is a GoAA polydrive replacement preamp, made to fit the Godin multiacs. It is mounted in the side of a Cordoba classical guitar.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:49 AM

Thanks a lot - this is great playing and a very good sound. I saw the Walter Rodriguez video in which he presented the Go system with his Multiac - very impressive.
Thank you for your proposal- I will get back to you once the need arises and wish you lots of of success with the fine system. Do you do any replacements for the RMC Poly Drive II which I use in two guitars?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical