The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-12-2024, 09:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Beautiful miters, as usual Bruce! A side note on bindings in that they are not only purposeful “bumpers” as you say but I think they are equally important that they are there to mechanically seal the end grain in the top and back plates. I cringe when I see guitars without bindings for these two aforementioned reasons.
It is nice to have you check in, Tim. And, thank you!
Old 01-13-2024, 10:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

I just got a notice from Dream that their latest promotional emailer includes as “Dustin’s Pick” my previous (2022) JB-16, also BRW though with an American Red Spruce top. They are selling it, and I own it. They do a better job with photos and sound clips that I am apparently able to do. Except for having a German spruce top and trim variations, the current build is similar.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Here is the video:

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/in...pruce-3261022/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I just got a notice from Dream that their latest promotional emailer includes as “Dustin’s Pick” my previous (2022) JB-16, also BRW though with an American Red Spruce top. They are selling it, and I own it. They do a better job with photos and sound clips that I am apparently able to do. Except for having a German spruce top and trim variations, the current build is similar.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

I told Bruce I would like Brazilian front and back plates on the headstock, and asked him to choose something with interesting figuring, not a conservative straight grained piece. I think he chose well! And this small peek at the Snakewood fingerboard has me eager to see more of it. Just beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72697268489__4F38F124-4F7D-4B71-BE47-445DBC215417.jpg (76.5 KB, 390 views)
Old 01-15-2024, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Varnish process starting....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5107.jpg (44.5 KB, 350 views)
Old 01-15-2024, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladio View Post
I told Bruce I would like Brazilian front and back plates on the headstock, and asked him to choose something with interesting figuring, not a conservative straight grained piece. I think he chose well! And this small peek at the Snakewood fingerboard has me eager to see more of it. Just beautiful.
That is gorgeous!
Old 01-15-2024, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

I’m new to posting photos here, and have had issues trying to reduce the size of the files so they will upload. The original photo Bruce sent me of the back with the first coat of varnish was much higher resolution than what I posted. I have never seen that Brazilian set in person. With varnish I could finally see the wood grain detail and was amazed by how tight it is. I don’t think I could even count the rings if I tried. That must have been a seriously old tree, deep in a forest.

Last edited by Palladio; 01-16-2024 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I’m new to posting photos here, and have had issues trying to reduce the size of the files so they will upload. The original photo Bruce sent me of the back with the first coat of varnish was much higher resolution than what I posted. I have never seen that Brazilian set in person. With varnish I could finally see the wood grain detail and was amazed by how tight it is. I don’t think I could even count the rings if I tried. That must have been a seriously old tree, deep in a forest.
Nothing Photoshop and your own internet server can't solve! My Photoshop is old, but serviceable, and I upload my host my photos on the web server that has my websites.

The sides are quartered for 2/3 of their length, and this happens. There is nothing quite like Brazilian Rosewood.

And doesn't that Koa pop under the varnish?

Old 01-16-2024, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Bruce, thanks for posting those photos. Since I wasn't able to figure it out, would you mind also posting a higher resolution photo or two of the back now that it has some varnish?

I am excited to see the details in the wood that I couldn't see before sanding and varnish, and I'm guessing some others may enjoy seeing that transformation as well.

And thank you for choosing such beautiful woods....you've exceeded all my expectations.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Bruce, thanks for posting those photos. Since I wasn't able to figure it out, would you mind also posting a higher resolution photo or two of the back now that it has some varnish?

I am excited to see the details in the wood that I couldn't see before sanding and varnish, and I'm guessing some others may enjoy seeing that transformation as well.

And thank you for choosing such beautiful woods....you've exceeded all my expectations.
This morning I put on the third coat of varnish on the guitar made from wood chosen by the customer (mostly) from the several sets I offered. Here's a close up picture of the back:

Or perhaps you meant one like this?

Old 01-17-2024, 10:54 PM

I love how this design really celebrates the beauty of wood. It's gorgeous!
Old 01-19-2024, 07:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

The 5th of a probable 7 (8 is normal, but this is going exceptionally well) coats of Varnish went on today. If you think that's a bit dull, wait till we begin 30 days of watching the paint (as it were) dry. I will NOT be turning in daily reports.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

That's a beauty, Bruce!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 01-20-2024, 09:39 AM

I am seriously impressed with both the wood choices and skill you have in your work, Bruce. I know next to nothing about building guitars, but I have a bit of woodworking experience, and your work is classy and beautiful.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

While looking through my stash for a flitch-matched set for an all-Koa build, I discovered a set of Myrtle (also flitch-matched) I didn't know I had. Flitch-matched means both sides and back from consecutive cuts from the same billet, of in the case of the coming all-Koa, back, sides, AND top.

I wonder what I will do with this set of Myrtle? In spite of it's quality, it is a wood I would include in a build without an up-charge. I love what happens when I use Myrtle!!!

Here is the Koa, joined this morning:

The sides are as flamed as the back, of course, and the close-up shows it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop