The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-25-2021, 04:50 PM

Default I’d probably be a “Digital Nomad” if ….

Yeah, if I was single and in my 20s (instead of 70!) I’d be awful tempted to be one of them Digital Nomads. I had a Westphalia in my 20s and felt right at home in that thing and the current crop of live-in vans are quite amazing and look awful comfy. Oh to be 20 again. Sigh!
Old 07-25-2021, 05:11 PM

I spent most of my 20's in the USN on submarines. Not near as much fun as you might think.

Now in my 50's, married, and with a full time job, the nomadic life is both not a realistic option and not appealing. We currently have a 25' vintage Airstream that we make several trips a year in, usually seeking coastal relief from the oppressive heat in desert summers.

Even in my retirement I doubt we'll go full time on the road, leaving a comfortable home, our critters, and two dozen stringed instruments. But hitting the trail periodically is still lots of fun.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:21 PM

Where there’s a will there’s a way. I know a few people who work virtually and are able to travel. The only difficulty for them is going through or having to overnight in cellular data dead spots.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Yeah, if I was single and in my 20s (instead of 70!) I’d be awful tempted to be one of them Digital Nomads. I had a Westphalia in my 20s and felt right at home in that thing and the current crop of live-in vans are quite amazing and look awful comfy. Oh to be 20 again. Sigh!
I hear you and emphathize. Have you seen the new Airstream Office model https://www.airstream.com/blog/intro...e-floor-plan/?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-26-2021 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:41 PM

Check out the movie "Nomadland" with Fances McDormand to get a cinematic view of that sort of life. I've never thought about doing that, and maybe it's just my age talking, but I'm really not cut out for that type of living.

On an only-slightly-similar note, check out "The Lady in the Van" with Dame Maggie Smith.

Best,
PJ
Old 07-25-2021, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Check out the movie "Nomadland" with Fances McDormand to get a cinematic view of that sort of life. I've never thought about doing that, and maybe it's just my age talking, but I'm really not cut out for that type of living.

On an only-slightly-similar note, check out "The Lady in the Van" with Dame Maggie Smith.

Best,
PJ
What he said.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-26-2021, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

A few of my co-workers are digital nomads. One in particular goes from Austin, to Mexico City, to California quite a bit. Right now he's in Park City. He's young, single, and has a great job as a software engineer. He really likes it, and he's super productive at what he does. He did go through a period where his mobility was hampering his desire for a relationship, but now has a girlfriend and I think that's making him less nomadic.

I'd certainly be doing it if I weren't in my 50's and married with kids. Maybe when the kids are gone my wife and i will hit the road for some time. We'd love to live in Switzerland for a bit.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:18 AM

Default Somewhere in Between Nomad and Home Based

You don't have to be one or the other. You can be at your home for whichever season is most favorable there, and then relocate seasonally to a place or places for a period of time. You can stay a few months or an entire season in campgrounds and work from your rv. We are retired, but if we were working remotely we could be employed and still enjoy our rv in our seasonal campsite. We use a local internet provider for the summer, and it would certainly doable to work remotely; there are a couple of people in the seasonal area of the campground that do that for months at a time. That way you don't have to commit to full time rving but enjoy the benefits of your rv.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:24 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't a lot of people technically digital hermits these past couple of years. FWIW I think getting in a car super early in the morning to fight with traffic patterns to go into an office for 9 hours - and spend extra for coffee and lunch every day just isn't conducive to a productive lifestyle.

I'd also think that the concept of being a "digital nomad" is an overcompensation - as is a lot of things these days. I can't wait for things to reach something approaching normal - preferably a "new" normal where there's a better work/life balance. I've enjoyed being able to spend time with my family and not have to wonder where they are each evening around dinner time.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

We spend a lot of time in Costa Rica, and there are a lot of digital nomads living and working down there (and not all of them are 20s). Some of them are earning a nice living, while others are taking a lower paying job to live life on their terms. And in many cases, their terms include a happy and flexible existence, which provides them with the physical and social array of activities to offset the big paycheck.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

…..being an analog nomad would suit me just fine
Old 07-26-2021, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
We spend a lot of time in Costa Rica, and there are a lot of digital nomads living and working down there (and not all of them are 20s). Some of them are earning a nice living, while others are taking a lower paying job to live life on their terms. And in many cases, their terms include a happy and flexible existence, which provides them with the physical and social array of activities to offset the big paycheck.
That sounds pretty good! Digital surf bum. I’m in!
Old 07-26-2021, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Dirk, you accurately described a good part of our CR town (Tamarindo).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic