The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2021, 09:21 AM

Default He/She hates your guitar. You LOVE it. . .

. . . how many of you have encountered that? You play your great guitar and you believe it's the best thing ever. . . only for someone else to bury it to the ground. It's a sad experience, isn't it?
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 07-03-2021, 09:28 AM

I played a great vintage Hummingbird in a guitar shop once and was sorely tempted until the salesperson described it as ‘an overpriced POS’. I still trusted my ears but was concerned it may have structural issues or something.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 07-03-2021, 09:28 AM

Lol, all my guitars are loud and I think my wife wishes they werent. I was recently loaned a guitar by the shop while they did some fret work on one of my guitars, it was quiet and I thought it sounded pretty dead... My wife had nothing but compliments for that one. My Simon & Patrick mini jumbo in particular is a friggin cannon, you can almost see her groan whenever I pull that one out of the cast.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:32 AM

I can relate to this. I turned up to a band practice with my first higher end acoustic, a Collings OM2H - arguably one of the best rosewood OMs on the planet - and my 7 year old example had tone to die for and bass to rival almost any dread. My bandmates totally dismissed it as it wasn't a Martin dreadnought or a Gibson slope.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:50 AM

I haven't had that experience with a particular guitar, but I have been "encouraged" to play a different brand (I'm saying that nicely). I have found what I like and it fits my playing style. So my response is, I like what I like...if you don't, that's not my problem.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 07-03-2021, 09:58 AM

I cannot relate to this. I can appreciate what I appreciate without wanting validation from someone else.

So, if someone expresses disdain for a guitar I love, my reaction is more akin to, "huh, strange, but okay." Certainly no sadness or disappointment there.

On the flip side, if someone is really raving about a guitar they love that I have not played, I am certainly motivated by their enthusiasm to try it for myself. If I don't like it when I do, however, I am not puzzled as to why someone else would.

I appreciate being able to be moved by what others find joyful but not reevaluate what is joyful to me because someone else does not get it.

Although, at the end of the day, given enough time, I can honestly say that it would be really hard to not figure out how to play and like a guitar. That's why I love guitars - ultimately, they are all freaking cool! Of course, more often than not there is little reason to put in that kind of effort into a guitar, because there are so many options available today.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:18 AM

Default He/She hates your guitar. You LOVE it. . .

In the early-60's I took my first lessons from a hardcore jazz player - kept this marvelous postwar blonde script logo L-5 at the studio...

In those days Manhattan's 14th Street "Pawnshop Row" was a veritable showcase of '30s-40s comp boxes (mostly Epiphones, which first saw the light of day a couple blocks away)...

As a result I've had a lifelong love for archtops, particularly the larger non-cuts...

My wife can't stand them - doesn't like the look, doesn't like the tone (with the notable exception of my Godin CW II)...

Thinking of commissioning a latter-day repro of the uber-rare postwar Epiphone Emperor Concert (https://wiedler.ch/nyepireg/closeup28.html) from an independent luthier for my 70th birthday...

Things should get real interesting around my house...
Old 07-03-2021, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
. . . how many of you have encountered that? You play your great guitar and you believe it's the best thing ever. . . only for someone else to bury it to the ground. It's a sad experience, isn't it?
Hi Gp,
Not for me (it's not sad). I'm glad there is enough variety in instruments, that each of us can find personal instruments that make us happy.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-03-2021, 10:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

My lovely wife kinda goes the opposite way. I once traded in a guitar to get a new one and on the way back from the store she said, "You know the one you traded in was my favorite, right?" I immediately saved up and found another of that guitar for her. Gotta keep 'em happy, no?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-03-2021, 10:25 AM

Never really had anyone make fun of my gear ...

But many years ago my girlfriend (now wife) made fun of me for my bad singing. Hearing it from someone who you love (and who supposedly loves you) makes that pain stick around for a lifetime...
Old 07-03-2021, 10:28 AM

For some crazy reason the missus and I seem to agree on guitar tone. Recently we did a test of each of my 5 higher end acoustics side by side. It was interesting to hear her describe the differences. The dread being bassy, the CF bright and precise, like a CD versus vinyl, and the OM and Camrielle light and balanced and the Baritone like a dark bass guitar. All of these were her words. Of all she preferred the CF Sable as her favorite. She was amazed because previously the Martin dread was her favorite.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:32 AM

My situation is exactly the opposite. Some days my playing feels stiff and clunky, but she thinks birds are singing. If I put the guitar away after a half hour, she'll encourage me to keep playing.

Had a funny thing happen a couple weeks ago. I was rocking out a bit, acoustically of course, and unbeknownst to me she was on a business call in the other room. One of her colleagues asked, "What's that cool music?" Wife responds, "That's just my husband practicing."
Old 07-03-2021, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
My best beloved dislikes sunbursts. I can understand why she might feel that my Waterloo looks a bit vulgar, but my Santa Cruz?
Doesn't think much of my Collings DS1ASB either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WL-12.jpg (22.1 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg SCGC- RS.jpg (22.2 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg DS1-ASB.jpg (20.9 KB, 384 views)
Old 07-03-2021, 10:55 AM

There is the factor of player and listener in all of this. What you hear when playing, and therefore behind the sound hole, can be different to what a person on the other side of the room, opposite the sound hole, hears.
On the odd occasion of trying out some guitars in a shop, I get the assistant to play the guitar while I listen, in front of it, as well as playing it myself.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
M...Doesn't think much of my Collings DS1ASB either.
That Collings is stunning - I'd love a Gibson Super 400 in that color...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion