The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-12-2019, 05:41 PM

Default Result on New Old Stock, Never Strung?

Hello,

I've come across a couple guitars that were purchased by a private party (now seller) from the Tacoma guitar factory when it, and the Tacoma inventory, was sold in 2004. The guitars hadn't had any strings put on them yet, nor have they since. Apparently, they've been kept humidified, though.

Anyone have experience with new old stock acoustic guitars that haven't been strung?

I have some interest in a guitar, I think, but am wondering if the fact that they haven't been under tension makes them more likely to have problems now, or later?

Also, anyone purchased a guitar in this situation and come up with a way (arrangement?) that works for both parties so that the buyer doesn't take on all the risk of something from having no strings on developing later?

Rockytar
Old 10-12-2019, 08:47 PM

If the guitars were offered to me as salvage in unmarked condition, I wouldn't be looking that gift horse in the mouth. Gonna have an adventure. If the seller thinks that these guitars are lost objets d'art and prices them accordingly, I'd walk away. Neither reaction has anything to do with their being strung up or not. If the vendor strung them up, then the salvage turns into guitars, otherwise NOS parts - - - for me.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytar View Post
H... but am wondering if the fact that they haven't been under tension makes them more likely to have problems now, or later?
Rockytar

No it won't.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:23 PM

I would want to hear the instrument before I bought it and you can't do that without strings.

There are people who collect cars with extremely low miles on them since new, but they have some value to OTHER people who value them as much. Not many guitar collectors that focus on unstrung new guitars

Ed
Old 10-13-2019, 11:14 PM

Default understandable

I agree, if I was buying a guitar, I'd want to hear it, inspect it, and play it. But those acts are not offered, it seems. So, what's offered is salvage, and I would only be interested if the stuff was priced as salvage.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:31 PM

Hi,

Well, you all have great comments -- it really helps for how to have the conversation with the seller, when that comes.

He has more info to email me including what (all) he wants to sell.

No idea yet about where he is on pricing. I think you have made a really good point that if he's selling and pricing what he's selling as a guitar(s), then it should be a playable guitar, rather than wood and metal... I'm thinking he should take it to a local luthier, have it strung, but also make sure that the frets are dressed, etc., etc., ie., a setup, because if the guitar wasn't ever strung at the factory, those final steps wouldn't have ever happened.

Thanks for your help. I'll put an update in when I know more, if the conversation keeps going. If there's no update, the asking price likely nixed further dialogue.

Rockytar
Old 10-13-2019, 11:40 PM

I should add, of course this couldn't be as simple as that we lived locally to each other. So a purchase will need an approval 48 hrs or something.

But that's also why I put the post in here, as to whether I should be thinking about this or not, regarding if the guitars have been damaged by not being under tension. But so far, none of you has been concerned that that is an issue. At this stage, nothing to lose in having a dialogue and exchanging info with the seller.

Rockytar
Old 10-14-2019, 09:01 AM

I hated the bridge design on those guitars but otherwise they had a pretty good product imho.

It's a good question and one that I had answered recently when I bought a guitar that was ten years old and never had strings put on it. In fact the bridge was not even glued on yet. Turns out the guitar is fantastic.

I would imagine the only problem would be how they were stored in the last ten years.

One thing that I noticed on my NOS guitar is that it didn't seem to go through a dramatic opening up period. Typically when I string up a guitar for the first time I notice within hours a difference in the tone, in one day it's quite dramatic and that process continues for about two weeks when in some cases the guitar then needs to be set up again. This NOS guitar seemed to skip all that and sounded great right out of the box.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:40 AM

Default a thought

So much for the Tonerite arguments...
Old 10-14-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
So much for the Tonerite arguments...
Well, it did take ten years I still use the Tonerite. Like I said before the guitar goes through an incredible metamorphosis from the very moment that you put strings on it for a few days onto the coming weeks. So the Tonerite works very well to speed that up.

Come to think of it, that might be an interesting experiment on my NOS guitar just to see if it makes any change. My guess is that on guitars that have already broken in the Tonerite is not of much use. FOr one that sat in a closet with strings on or not though, might.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:32 AM

No string tension against original (unreleased) truss rod tension potentially means you have to deal with backbow in the neck, at least for a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair