The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-11-2019, 06:54 AM

Default Epiphone neck reset '85 PR500

Hello,

I am a luthier with experience with taking instruments apart. I curb shopped an Epiphone PR500 made in 85. It is in great shape with no loose bars, etc...

All indications are that it needs a neck reset. It has a tension rod that is accessed through the sound hole. I am assuming that the neck/body join is a simple tenon in order to assemble this type of neck/rod configuration.

I am planning on a typical steam setup to disassemble. Anybody with any experience, tips, observations or comments about this type of neck reset?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Default 1985 Asian made instrument?

Assume nothing! You could be looking at the one-two punch of AMJ & AMG.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:10 AM

AMJ - Asian Mystery Joint

AMG - Asian Mystery Glue
Old 10-12-2019, 11:16 AM

Reading your post I come to two conclusions.
1- English is not your first language, which is perfectly fine.
2- Your terminology suggests you have no previous experience working on guitars, especially a neck reset.

That is not a project I would choose to learn on.
If I am wrong please accept my most humble apology, but I would not want to encourage you into a project you are not able to execute.

Ed
Old 10-12-2019, 01:10 PM

AMJ and AMG leads to TMJ and PIA?.....

Do you have any examples of these surprises? There seems to be no join failure on this guitar, just mostly bridge soundboard belly rise and a little sinking at the fingerboard extension/soundboard. Sad to chuck the guitar, even though it came to me at the right price. I have been a luthier since the late '70's and have avoided much of any kind of work on inexpensive guitars. Era of hide glue work for me...

Any examples of AMJ of AMG from the collective experience, or is it too painful to recall?

Poe, what gave away my objective to subvert the 2020 electorate via the acoustic guitar forum.... All kidding aside, I have not chosen the dialect of my adopted city of Poe's death. Apologies accepted even though I made a grammar mistake or two....
Old 10-12-2019, 01:27 PM

When I suspect AMG I do a bolt on conversion, easy peasy. I don't have any pics but I do remember trying to reset a neck early on when got into this stuff that was most likely AMG before I even knew what it was and it finally came apart but it was damaged by all the steam. I still managed to reset it but yes that was a case of AMG leading to PIA.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:40 PM

Bolt on conversion using existing removed neck??? Or just to avoid having a glue of choice adhering to AMG remains?

Does anybody add a little vinegar to the steaming liquid to help soften the aliphatic glue or does that create more problems with future bond?

Thanks to all that responded and respond...
Old 10-13-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpLute View Post
Bolt on conversion using existing removed neck???
Did I misunderstand your OP and that you already have the neck removed? If that's the case then I'm confused. But to answer your question, no. I would do the bold on conversion by sawing off the old original neck.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:32 AM

No, I haven't touched it yet, just an assessment of what was going on with the guitar. I didn't find one failed join...AMG? Not totally abused. Belly pulled up from string tension. I don't think it is a plywood soundboard that has delaminated, causing the bulge. I've seen this before.

Neck bowed a little. I would probably want to measure this before deciding to do anything with this guitar.

Slight depression of the soundboard area where the upper fingerboard is on the soundboard. This is not excessive.

The tension rod is adjusted through the sound hole.

I think it would be a good idea to test the glue by a brace to see if it softens before trying to steam it apart,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair