The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-11-2019, 02:31 AM

Default Billy Strings Peoples - ATM 350 Mic Question

How's he blending the ATM 350 Mini Condenser in with the K&K PWM?

He has the large pedalboard with all the stuff but he's basically just using the Mono input, Grace Designs BiX as the Pre/DI. Is the ATM 350 being sent separately elsewhere or is that somehow hitting the front of the BiX also?

Anybody? TIA!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:23 AM

Perhaps this will answer your questions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeS8nw_7pmE

Louis
Old 09-11-2019, 08:23 AM

Thanks, I had seen that but I don’t think he discusses that particular aspect of his rig just said he does have the mic
Old 09-11-2019, 09:07 AM

I just watched it again, and I see what you mean.

It looks like he's got the cables from his K&K and his onboard ATM 350 running wrapped together in what looks like a cable sleeve, and there must be something mixing them together before things get to the Bix (maybe a mini mixer of some kind over to the left somewhere on the other side to those expression pedals).

I say this because it's clear that there's just one cable going into the Bix (which has only one channel anyway) and everything else--except for the tuner/distortion/Fender amp line--is in the Bix's effects loop, controlled by that big switcher. The Bix seems like it's only modified to allow him to cut off the DI out in favor of the tuner/distortion/Fender line when he wants to add the dirt.

If he were using something on the guitar to do the blending, he wouldn't need to run that big cable sleeve. So something must be blending the K&K and the mic and sending that blended signal to the input of the Bix. He then either plays using that blended signal straight to the DI, adding effects from the loop at will, or he switches to the distortion line. In addition to knowing how he does the pickup/mic blend, I'd like to know if the mod on the Bix sends that tuner/distortion/Fender line signal before or after the effects loop. Oddly, he never says.

Louis
Old 09-15-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
How's he blending the ATM 350 Mini Condenser in with the K&K PWM?

He has the large pedalboard with all the stuff but he's basically just using the Mono input, Grace Designs BiX as the Pre/DI. Is the ATM 350 being sent separately elsewhere or is that somehow hitting the front of the BiX also?

Anybody? TIA!
Bump!
Bump
Old 09-15-2019, 07:25 PM

Hard to tell but looks to me as though he has a separate cable for the ATM 350. It seems to be taped to the guitar cable. I bet the mic is running to a di and going to the front of house. The blending is probably done by the sound man.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Hard to tell but looks to me as though he has a separate cable for the ATM 350. It seems to be taped to the guitar cable. I bet the mic is running to a di and going to the front of house. The blending is probably done by the sound man.
Yep. Seems likely that he might have the ATM350 going to FOH only, and ony the K&K in the monitors.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowder View Post
Yep. Seems likely that he might have the ATM350 going to FOH only, and ony the K&K in the monitors.
Was thinking that as well but sounds to me like the K&K is the main source with the mic adding a bit of air. If you go back even six months ago, he seemed to be only using the K&K.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:23 AM

Thanks all, seems likely.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Hi all

This is the latest rig rundown on Billy's guitar from Premier Guitar. No evidence he's doing anything other than dual sourcing through in-ears with his own band. Published Aug, 2019.

Interesting comprehensive video which shows Billy's exploratory nature. He's still changing and adapting to new technology, pedals and is still one of the best flat picking solo bluegrass players out there.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Yup, good vid but it doesn't show how the mini condenser is being dual sourced which was the OP's(me) question...the routing of the mini condenser that is.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
Yup, good vid but it doesn't show how the mini condenser is being dual sourced which was the OP's(me) question...the routing of the mini condenser that is.
Hi ms

Perhaps if you go to the site and read the article online there may be more info. I'm pretty sure it's plugged into the Grace Blix (his direct box for the acoustic rig). There is no mention in the whole interview that he's splitting the signal. I think it's something which you should experiment for yourself and not just duplicate what others do.

I run all my acoustics with K&K Pure mini and internal mics, and cannot imagine why one would want to separate them for the monitors. I use in ear, phones, and room sound for different monitoring situations, and it's the combo sound I'm going for. I'm guessing anyone who'd tape the mic up the back of a Thompson dreadnought would be wanting the whole rig for his monitor sound as well… It will be interesting to find out.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-17-2019, 10:24 AM

The article doesn't offer any more information about how or where in the chain the blending is done.

Louis
Old 09-17-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
The article doesn't offer any more information about how or where in the chain the blending is done.

Louis
Hi Louis

Thanks. I've not subscribed to the written Premier stuff…just the YouTube versions.

Somebody 'out there' knows. If Billy will still be running the rig the same way in 6 months, probably only the sound techs will know. Whatever he's doing, it sounds great.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 09-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Heh, I've experimented plenty. If i was going to assume, I would indeed assume that he'd like to hear the mic in his in ears also because the K&K is gawd awful sounding by itself. Hey I'm kidding a little bit. I do indeed know that you are a champion of that PU & I appreciate your enthusiasm for the K&K/Dual source. This is what makes the world go 'round. If the mic & K&K are going into the front end of the BiX as you suggest then it would have to be summed some place first since the BiX is a mono input unless it's been modded for that which I doubt, just get the FeliX. I was just wondering how the mic was being routed. I've only seen YouTube vids but he gets a great sound on those. I'm a fan. YMMV of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi ms

Perhaps if you go to the site and read the article online there may be more info. I'm pretty sure it's plugged into the Grace Blix (his direct box for the acoustic rig). There is no mention in the whole interview that he's splitting the signal. I think it's something which you should experiment for yourself and not just duplicate what others do.

I run all my acoustics with K&K Pure mini and internal mics, and cannot imagine why one would want to separate them for the monitors. I use in ear, phones, and room sound for different monitoring situations, and it's the combo sound I'm going for. I'm guessing anyone who'd tape the mic up the back of a Thompson dreadnought would be wanting the whole rig for his monitor sound as well… It will be interesting to find out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification