The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2020, 11:57 AM

Default How long before the Bourgeous/Eastman guitars become available?

I know a lot of people who are skeptical, but I’m very interested to see how well they will sound and what price point will eventually be.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:16 PM

They never said a date, but Dana published on his web site that he had been voicing tops for them during the shut down for covid. I think I read somewhere they were hoping to have some out by the years end but that was before covid, which I assume has them backed up. Pure speculation, but I'd imagine it's going to be a while still.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:20 PM

After owning two Bourgeois guitars and being VERY impressed with the Eastmans I’ve played, I’m really looking forward to this venture. I can see me getting an OM or OOO for playing at home.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-15-2020, 12:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

The last we heard, they had been through a few rounds of prototypes, and were hoping to debut something at (virtual) NAMM 2021 this January.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 10-15-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I know a lot of people who are skeptical, but I’m very interested to see how well they will sound and what price point will eventually be.
They will be priced as high as they can and sell them. Seriously, I'd guess a grand above Eastman. Surely high enough to not eat into Eastman's nicer fare. The target is to take market share from Taylor and Martin, while covering for the costs of buying a name. I'm guessing it will be a long term proposition.

Look at the Northfield mandolin story. They hit a sweet spot in the market not covered by Eastman or Collings, Weber, Gibson. They have done quite well, and are pushing into the high end market. They have a $3200 mandolin that has no equal at the price point, and the Big Mon which is a very nice mandolin with binding and inlay for $4700. The cheapest MF Collings is now something like $5500. So the build them in China method can work if the product is good.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-15-2020, 05:30 PM

I seriously doubt that Dana's intent is that the jointly produced guitars are going to cut into Martin or Taylor's market share. Both of those companies have die hard fans who truly love them. The voicing of those instruments are also different from a Bourgeois.

From what I've read on Dana's wesite, his concern is that the average price of his guitars is around $6,000 which prices them out of reach for a lot of good players. Since he's a shop of 12-13 guys producing a few hundred guitars a year, options for producing more affordable guitars are limited.

I own an Eastman dread because my finances and skill level find it appropriate for me. Eastman is making some nice instruments these days. Where Bourgeois can help them (IMO) is in voicing and consistent tone woods. I am curious to see what this joint venture produces. I'm sure there'll still be plenty of musicians willing to lay out the $6k for a guitar voiced by Dana Bourgeois.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
I seriously doubt that Dana's intent is that the jointly produced guitars are going to cut into Martin or Taylor's market share. Both of those companies have die hard fans who truly love them. The voicing of those instruments are also different from a Bourgeois.

From what I've read on Dana's wesite, his concern is that the average price of his guitars is around $6,000 which prices them out of reach for a lot of good players. Since he's a shop of 12-13 guys producing a few hundred guitars a year, options for producing more affordable guitars are limited.

I own an Eastman dread because my finances and skill level find it appropriate for me. Eastman is making some nice instruments these days. Where Bourgeois can help them (IMO) is in voicing and consistent tone woods. I am curious to see what this joint venture produces. I'm sure there'll still be plenty of musicians willing to lay out the $6k for a guitar voiced by Dana Bourgeois.
I'm also very interested to see/hear these new Bourgeois/Eastman guitars as well. Having owned a couple of Dana's builds in the past and being a big fan of Eastman guitars as of late I can't imagine anything but good things to come.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-15-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I've owned some Bourgeois guitars over the years - they are magnificent and I love Dana's innovations.

I currently owned a thermo cured Eastman and it is glorious at any price, let alone the price I paid.

I am excited to get my hands on a Bourgeois influenced Eastman - sounds wonderful.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion