The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Trouble w/ Buzzing Strings on 2019 Waterloo

I bought this from original owner and as soon as I my arrived, from Las Vegas to me in El Paso, it was buzzing when tuned to pitch. The seller said it played perfectly before he sent it. He has been responsive and helpful. He refunded me $400 for the inconvenience.

I brought it to a luthier and deemed the action too low and saddle too low. He performed a set up and relieved the truss rod (single action he said) until it was completely loose. Though the backbend remains. There is a hint of buzz in the low 3 bass strings but mostly they are just dead sounding.

The truss rod tightens and loosen without any clicking etc. Again at this point the truss rod is completely loose. This is the 5th Waterloo I’ve played and I’ve never had this issue. More puzzling is the fact that it isn’t even 12 months old.

Any advice on what next step to take? Is there anything I’m missing or should look at?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2019, 10:04 AM

I’ve had a couple guitars thru the years with a backbow even when the truss rod is loosened all the way. I was able to remedy this by putting on heavier strings for a while. They increased tension “pulled” the action higher. You could give this a try, it may work, and who knows you may like the tone too.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyofB# View Post
I brought it to a luthier and deemed the action too low and saddle too low. He performed a set up and relieved the truss rod (single action he said) until it was completely loose. Though the backbend remains. There is a hint of buzz in the low 3 bass strings but mostly they are just dead sounding.
If you paid for a setup and it was performed, then did it play fine for a while or did you get it back unplayable.

Backbow with no truss adjustment is luckily not that common but fixable.

Every main stream manufacturer has guitars that are manufactured and turn out to have some back bow, its the joys of working with wood and turning it into something else..

Steve
Old 10-07-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
If you paid for a setup and it was performed, then did it play fine for a while or did you get it back unplayable.

Backbow with no truss adjustment is luckily not that common but fixable.

Every main stream manufacturer has guitars that are manufactured and turn out to have some back bow, its the joys of working with wood and turning it into something else..

Steve

Hi, no it was dull sounding on the low strings when I got it back.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaan View Post
I’ve had a couple guitars thru the years with a backbow even when the truss rod is loosened all the way. I was able to remedy this by putting on heavier strings for a while. They increased tension “pulled” the action higher. You could give this a try, it may work, and who knows you may like the tone too.

Thanks for the reply. I have to pick up some mediums, but until then I have the light la on there tuned a full step sharp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair