The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-02-2019, 10:16 AM

Default Good low cost replacement tuning keys

I'm working on re-doing an old Harmony, and will need some tuners. While the guitar is in decent shape, its pretty beat, and I really don't want to spend a fortune on tuners. Besides the Waverlies, and Antique Acoustics, does anyone make decent looking usable 3 on a plate tuners?
Old 10-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

These look like a possibility.
https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...te_Tuners.html
Old 10-02-2019, 11:58 AM

Stewart-Macdonald has a line: Golden Age restoration tuners. Quality that (hopefully) won't break the bank.

http://www.stewmac.com/
Old 10-02-2019, 02:26 PM

Default A thought

Seeing as the guitar under discussion ain't much of an exotic, why not look at the offerings on Ebay? I'm guessing any one of them will be a bunch better than the original ones ever were. And cheap enough to buy a set for a look-see.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I'm working on re-doing an old Harmony, and will need some tuners. While the guitar is in decent shape, its pretty beat, and I really don't want to spend a fortune on tuners. Besides the Waverlies, and Antique Acoustics, does anyone make decent looking usable 3 on a plate tuners?
Many times three on a plate tuners will not match up perfectly to the needed spacing.

If you want great tuners at a median price consider going with Grover Sta-tite Deluxes. Make sure they have the cast baseplate and aren't the lower priced economy tuners. A set of 6 are in the neighborhood of $50.

I have some sets of the Golden Age restoration tuners I bought to try out, but I don't see anything in their manufacture that's much better than other cheap tuners. They are "new, but look old", but that's all I can cite as a plus.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:44 AM

I bought some of these cheap tuners off Ebay, looks like the same product ranges wildly in price, is the more expensive one better, is the cheaper one seconds? In the end the tuners felt gritty when turning. I took them apart and used a fine (600 grit or better) emery cloth and flattened the surface of the brass gear that rides on the plate. Made a world of difference, also added a little lube on this surface and the gears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair