The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-01-2016, 01:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Cool NGD: Eastman 805 Anniversary

I've always wanted to learn jazz guitar but always hesitated to start. I started shopping for a guitar with a Gibson L5 in mind, but after a bit of shopping and a few helpful tips from forums members I decided to seriously consider an Eastman after all the good things folks had to say about them. I'm very shallow when it comes to guitars, I have a weakness for beautiful woods. In the begining I always though Eastman had "not so great" flamed maple for their guitars, the patterns were either weirdly figured or just mediocre at best, some were even book matched strangely. I found this one knew I had to have it, the most beautiful back/sides I'd ever seen on an Eastman. Snatched it right up, strung up with flatwounds and it sounds amazing. I had a 1949 Epiphone Zenith in the past and I thought that was loud for an archtop but this Eastman projects so well and very loud. Here are a few photos, one question I have is that is the bridge suppose to lean forward or backwards? As of right now mine is leaning back, towards the endblock.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Vee_Voe; 10-01-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Hi, your new guitar is very similar to mine :

Obviously - mine doesn't have the cutaway.

Like you I bought it to get into Jazz/western swing - but my flat-picking style is too ingrained,so if you were to look on UK Ebay - you'd see it for sale.

BTW - regarding the bridge - the whole foot should beperfectly set to the top, and AFAIK - the saddle part should be completely upright not sloping.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:31 PM

Beautiful instrument. I'd name it "Satin Doll".

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:30 PM

You're absolutely right about the woods - best I've ever seen on an Eastman - and if you got it for the price you quoted me in your PM, you stole that guitar...

Use it well and often...
Old 10-01-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee_Voe View Post
...I had a 1949 Epiphone Zenith in the past and I thought that was loud for an archtop but this Eastman projects so well and very loud. Here are a few photos, one question I have is that is the bridge suppose to lean forward or backwards? As of right now mine is leaning back, towards the endblock.
I have an MDC-805, same guitar body (without cutaway) strung as a mandocello (came without a pickup, though). Great tone and volume. I have been playing all the currently built archtops I can find (Gretsch, Godin, D'angelico, even new Gibson) and none sound as good as my Eastman. Seriously thinking of getting an Eastman archtop guitar soon.

Bridge should be straight up. I use Big Bends Nut Sauce on all nut and bridge slots when I change strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops