The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Where to get discontinued daddario exp23 baritone strings?

I just found out that my favorite baritone strings are discontinued. Not sure how long it has been since I had a few sets on hand. Anyone know a good place to get some exp23s?

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 07-04-2020, 04:03 AM

I looked around, looks like those strings have disappeared. I found one set for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daddario-EX...IAAOSwCtJcxtL9

I see that Elixir makes a set in a similar gauge.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:59 AM

Sad to say that the aforementioned Elixirs, with sets from La Bella, Curt Mangan and John Pearse, are just about all that's left for acoustic baritone sets, Eric. I bought up all of the EXP23 sets (and single .070s) that I could find a couple of months ago but eventually they will be gone.

I'd like to see more acoustic baritone offerings, especially from Ernie Ball for the Aluminum Bronze line or from Martin in the Retro Monel line, but we may be stuck with expensive custom-order sets from handmade makers in the not too distant future...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:41 AM

Just Strings lists several baritone acoustic sets by several makers.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I'd like to see more acoustic baritone offerings, especially from Ernie Ball for the Aluminum Bronze line or from Martin in the Retro Monel line, but we may be stuck with expensive custom-order sets from handmade makers in the not too distant future...
I’m in the same boat with my 7-string. It arrived with D’Addarios - presumably a baritone set with an extra high E, but when it came time for the first change, that set (presumably the EXP23 as 6 out of the 7) was unobtainable anywhere.

I ended up getting a custom set from Newtone in the UK. The set was about $20, including shipping, which I thought was very reasonable. They turned out to be really nice strings as well, so I’ll be ordering more. I’d love to be able to use D’Addario Nickel Bronze, but, alas, they have no plans to offer NB strings in .068 or .070 gauges.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-04-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I’m in the same boat with my 7-string. It arrived with D’Addarios - presumably a baritone set with an extra high E, but when it came time for the first change, that set (presumably the EXP23 as 6 out of the 7) was unobtainable anywhere.

I ended up getting a custom set from Newtone in the UK. The set was about $20, including shipping, which I thought was very reasonable. They turned out to be really nice strings as well, so I’ll be ordering more. I’d love to be able to use D’Addario Nickel Bronze, but, alas, they have no plans to offer NB strings in .068 or .070 gauges.
That .070 bass string is the rub, David. I've never used the EXP23 baritone set as sold because some of the strings are "over-gauged" (and I really hated that .022 plain steel 2nd string) but instead use a "standard" medium gauge set (EXP17), discard the high string (which you could use on the 7-stringer since it is a high E string), shift the strings down one position (eg. 6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, etc.) , then add the .070 bass string. If you can find a source for a bass string you like then just buy singles and use a standard set for the other six strings.

Phil

Old 07-04-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That .070 bass string is the rub, David. I've never used the EXP23 baritone set as sold because some of the strings are "over-gauged" (and I really hated that .022 plain steel 2nd string) but instead use a "standard" medium gauge set (EXP17), discard the high string (which you could use on the 7-stringer since it is a high E string), shift the strings down one position (eg. 6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, etc.) , then add the .070 bass string. If you can find a source for a bass string you like then just buy singles and use a standard set for the other six strings.

Phil
Actually I'm not even sure that the strings that the guitar came with were a particular 'set' - the gauges were .012, .016, .024, .034, .042, .052, and .068, and definitely D'Addario.

I think I'm going to stick with the Newtones for now - I like these gauges, and the strings seem to suit both me and the guitar well.
Cordoba Stage

Old 07-05-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Actually I'm not even sure that the strings that the guitar came with were a particular 'set' - the gauges were .012, .016, .024, .034, .042, .052, and .068, and definitely D'Addario.

I think I'm going to stick with the Newtones for now - I like these gauges, and the strings seem to suit both me and the guitar well.
As I recall, Emerald ships with 80/20 EXPs and that set, other than the 4th string, looks like the standard "light gauge" set (actual sizes are .012, .016, .024, .032, .042 and .053). To my knowledge, D'Addario did not make any EXP string gauges between .060 and .070. I know this because I needed something for harp guitar basses and ended up buying some single acoustic bass strings (that have to be installed from inside because of the h-u-g-e ball end!) of .065 gauge. So I don't know where that .068 comes from (unless it was actually a .070 from the EXP23 set, and PB to boot so it should have been a visible different colour?)...

Phil

Old 07-05-2020, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As I recall, Emerald ships with 80/20 EXPs and that set, other than the 4th string, looks like the standard "light gauge" set (actual sizes are .012, .016, .024, .032, .042 and .053). To my knowledge, D'Addario did not make any EXP string gauges between .060 and .070. I know this because I needed something for harp guitar basses and ended up buying some single acoustic bass strings (that have to be installed from inside because of the h-u-g-e ball end!) of .065 gauge. So I don't know where that .068 comes from (unless it was actually a .070 from the EXP23 set, and PB to boot so it should have been a visible different colour?)...

Phil
You’re correct - EXPs are (or were) standard issue for Emerald. I couldn’t find a .068 in their range either, and don’t recall the colour of the ball end, but the string itself didn’t look like an odd one out.

That’s why I went with Newtone - they can make pretty much anything you want, at a reasonable price. I did hear from Curt Mangan as well (Curt himself!) and they do a .070 PB, so that, with a standard 6-string set is another possibility to consider.
Cordoba Stage

Old 07-05-2020, 07:36 PM

Currently, my baritone is wearing a set of EXL158 strings.
They are nickel wound Electric guitar strings.
They sound really nice.
I was pleasantly surprised.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion