The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2020, 03:19 AM

Default Martin Strings and Saddle

Hi there,
Hopefully someone can help me .I recently bought a used Martin DCPA4 from a second hand shop and found in the case a spare bridge saddle .I've included a photo and i think the spare is actually the original that should be installed, is that correct ?
Also what strings would you recommend for this guitar? I had a DX1 and a GS Mini and used to put Elixir PBs on them and they sounded great. This guitar had horrible dirty worn strings, which still sounded good, so I replaced them with Elixir PBs thinking they would sound even better. Funny though they sound a bit thin or even dull ?I also have 2 other old Dreadnoughts that are pieces of crap- bbq guitars i call them for playing around a bbq-and the elixirs make these guitars sound great -but not the case with this really nice guitar-is that weird ?I did try Martin Lifespan SP 12-54 on my previous DX1 but I didn't really like them they felt like they weren't easy to slide between notes on. Happy for any suggestions.
Thanks guys, hope your all staying safe
Old 06-04-2020, 07:14 AM

Welcome! The extra saddle could be the original, or not, depending on the history of the guitar. The previous owner may have swapped it out to change material, like bone or something else. Or it could have been to low/high for their playing preference.

When I replace a saddle I keep the old one in the case to re-install if I don't like the new one for some reason. Or to just have it available in case I sell the guitar. Also it helps keep those extra saddles sorted so I can remember which guitar they came out of. As far as which strings to use, that's a question that'll generate a lot of opinions. I like to try something in 80/20, Phosphor Bronze, and maybe Monel to see which ones sound best to me on a particular guitar. Mostly light gauge in the 12-54 region.

Enjoy the new guitar and the search for the perfect strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion