The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
I bought a 2006 Alvarez a couple of years back.
It had been stored in the case for a long time.
I believe it was 12 years old when I bought it. And if the strings were any indication, I think it had been a year or ten since it had been played.
The strings were slack when I first laid eyes on it.
But it tuned up. Held tune and was playable.
I bought it,
Got it home and cleaned up, a fresh set of EJ16’s and it’s the first guitar that my wife has ever told me very directly that I should consider keeping.
If you start with a good guitar...you have a good guitar.
I hope yours turns out to be as nice as mine did.
Which Alvarez? I desperately miss my old WY-1 that I bought back in college. I foolishly sold it a decade ago and regret that decision all the time.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milerun View Post
Which Alvarez? I desperately miss my old WY-1 that I bought back in college. I foolishly sold it a decade ago and regret that decision all the time.

While I’d love to have a WY1, I found a PD85S.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 09-25-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
While I’d love to have a WY1, I found a PD85S.
Guitar Center has one with a cutaway and I guess a pickup ... but with shipping and state tax it would be more than I want to pay.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 09-25-2020, 07:26 PM

Point zero : always ask for lateral photo by frets 10-14 to see action and neck bow.

Then, keep it in ideal humidity room for two weeks, changing strings,
so that it shows its real personality as neck, action and body as well as sound are concerned.

You would then see if any set up is needed.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Point zero : always ask for lateral photo by frets 10-14 to see action and neck bow.

Then, keep it in ideal humidity room for two weeks, changing strings,
so that it shows its real personality as neck, action and body as well as sound are concerned.

You would then see if any set up is needed.
I think I got fortunate. Everything seems great. New strings need to settle down some but it’s a really nice guitar.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 09-25-2020, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
The necks are bolted and epoxied which makes resets a problem. Hopefully non issue though.

I’ll probably do a NUGD this weekend. In hindsight I probably should have just waited to start a thread until then
I did not know that about the epoxy. Thanks for the info.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-26-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I think I got fortunate. Everything seems great. New strings need to settle down some but it’s a really nice guitar.
Congrats! Sounds like it's in your hands. I have a Simon & Patrick Mini Jumbo (MJ) and it's a Player. Guessing that your Seagull is the same.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:43 PM

I doubt you will have any problems. Seagull makes some pretty tough guitars. I have an old entourage mini jumbo that I don’t humidify or anything and it’s still fine. The humidity in my house goes down below 20% in the winter! It’s about 12 years old maybe. Somewhere around there. Very solid guitars. It sounds good too. For a decent price, they are worth every penny. I use mine as my travel guitar. Given that it is a relatively cheap model, I would like to try out some of their higher end stuff. I haven’t paid much attention to them over the years. I just wish they made 24.75 to 25 inch scale. Now that I am used to shorter scales, I find them more comfortable.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 09-26-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_F View Post
I doubt you will have any problems. Seagull makes some pretty tough guitars. I have an old entourage mini jumbo that I don’t humidify or anything and it’s still fine. The humidity in my house goes down below 20% in the winter! It’s about 12 years old maybe. Somewhere around there. Very solid guitars. It sounds good too. For a decent price, they are worth every penny. I use mine as my travel guitar. Given that it is a relatively cheap model, I would like to try out some of their higher end stuff. I haven’t paid much attention to them over the years. I just wish they made 24.75 to 25 inch scale. Now that I am used to shorter scales, I find them more comfortable.

Martin
Yeah I’m with you on the short scale. All three of mine are short scale it didn’t happen by design but it has worked out well.

The Seagull is a bit tinny/chimey sounding but,hey, it’s literally been dormant the first eight years of its life. Also brand new strings. I decided to go ahead and keep it on the tonerite for a week or so when not playing it. I think it’s going to be a very cool guitar.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 09-27-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
The necks are bolted and epoxied which makes resets a problem. Hopefully non issue though.

I’ll probably do a NUGD this weekend. In hindsight I probably should have just waited to start a thread until then
Enjoy your new guitar! I have a Seagull and have had others in the past. It strikes me as strange that they decided to epoxy the necks, making a reset virtually impossible. It's almost like they were designing a throwaway guitar (although at the going price of a neck reset, you'd have to weigh the choice between the expense and a new guitar). If you are the original owner, then you don't have to worry.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:53 AM

If you watch the factory tour video from a few years ago (I don’t have a link handy) final assembly steps are gluing in the neck and bolting it for curing. Then choosing a bridge of the correct height using a jig and gluing that bridge down. The neck geometry starts out good and probably stays there, but if it shifts then a reset is more trouble than the guitar is generally worth. In that respect you could consider the guitar a throwaway...... My M6 (precursor of the S6) is approaching 30 years old and the neck is still fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion