The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-10-2024, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Default NUGD Eastman AR804

Even though I'm not a jazz player (or even an archtop guy) I had to jump on this when I saw it for sale. I have a weakness for the look of an oval hole arch top and I am in a position that I could buy one so here I am! It's a 2020 build and has a Baggs HiFi bridge plate pickup installed. It's a stunner to look at on my wall. The narrower string spacing at the bridge is a bit of an issue since I play of lot of fingerstyle and have fat fingers. I am enjoying the total apples/oranges aspect when compared to my flat tops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR80411.jpg (24.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg AR804 12.jpg (31.5 KB, 145 views)
Old 04-11-2024, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

That's a lovely looking guitar. I'd love to try one out!

I'm not a jazz player nor "an archtop guy". But my Godin 5th Avenue acoustic archtop is the instrument that I play the most. And it's the guitar that I pick up for gigs. I played it at a hotel concert last night that our Welsh MVC was giving. A friend and I sang "All I have to do is Dream" as a duet, and I played the accompaniment on the 5th Avenue. I'm finding that the acoustic archtop has sort of become "my" acoustic guitar sound for playing/singing.

I do have to play the guitar a little differently to my flattop, and I make up slightly different song arrangements to suit the guitar. It doesn't "strum" well, but Carter style and Woody Guthrie type song backing work brilliantly.

Enjoy exploring your new archtop. There's a world of tone and possibilities hidden within!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 04-11-2024 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Robin. I've enjoyed your posts about the 5th Avenue. I agree that there is a requirement to approach an archtop a bit differently if your primarily a flat top player. Same thing as switching from acoustic to electric, etc. It would be a boring world if all guitars were of the same type! I'd happily listen to any advise folks might offer on strings for my Eastman. The guitar has a bright tone and I wonder if phosphor bronze strings would warm it up a little?
Old 04-11-2024, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I have a 2007 build Eastman AR805 in sunburst.

I t is a beautiful looking guitar which plays and sounds great.

The binding is a bit wobbly in places - but ...... It has more finish checking than my 1934 Gibson L-4/7.

However, it was explained to me by the seller that it was one of many guitars bought by a close friend of his that came into a lump of money which he spent on loads of guitars, which he then stored in a furniture repository .. in a metal container ... for some years - extremes of humidity, and temps.

I've had it since 2018, and all seems fine.

Here she is :
Old 04-20-2024, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

If you decide to move the guitar along because of the string spacing, let me know!
Old 04-20-2024, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic567 View Post
If you decide to move the guitar along because of the string spacing, let me know!
I'm struggling with the bridge spacing but I will give it a little more time. My Waterloo has 2 3/8" at the bridge and that feels like home to me. Otherwise I love this guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops