The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-18-2018, 02:57 PM

Default Finally got a Strat

I've been playing guitar for nearly 40 years. I've never owned a Stratocater. I've come close to buying one a few times and had some "Stratish" models (Peavey T-27, Charvel Tele with nbeck/middle Jackson Strat pickups). But I couldn't pass this one up.

It's a Squier standard, made in China, Sunburst with tortoise guard and rosewood fingerboard. It was on Craigslist locally for less than $100. I expected it to need a lot of love or upgrades, but it was in better shape than I expected. The electronics sound clean, the intonation isn't bad and the pickups sound pretty good. No whammy bar or case, but that's an eay fix. In a blind test, I doubt I could tell the difference between this and your typical Mexican Strat.

And I freaking love playing it. The Strat is just fun to mess with and the tones are pretty legendary, even on the cheap end of the spectrum.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 PM

Congratulations!

Love my Stratocaster even if my Telecaster gets more attention from me these days.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:14 PM

Congrats on your Strat! I haven't put a whammy bar in my Strats for years. Will you buy one? Enjoy.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:41 PM

Congratulations on your new Strat!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats on your Strat! I haven't put a whammy bar in my Strats for years.
Clapton is a Strat player, and I've never seen him use a whammy bar.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 04-18-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post
I've been playing guitar for nearly 40 years. I've never owned a Stratocater. I've come close to buying one a few times and had some "Stratish" models (Peavey T-27, Charvel Tele with nbeck/middle Jackson Strat pickups). But I couldn't pass this one up.

It's a Squier standard, made in China, Sunburst with tortoise guard and rosewood fingerboard. It was on Craigslist locally for less than $100. I expected it to need a lot of love or upgrades, but it was in better shape than I expected. The electronics sound clean, the intonation isn't bad and the pickups sound pretty good. No whammy bar or case, but that's an eay fix. In a blind test, I doubt I could tell the difference between this and your typical Mexican Strat.

And I freaking love playing it. The Strat is just fun to mess with and the tones are pretty legendary, even on the cheap end of the spectrum.

A Squier standard for less than $100 is a killer deal! It’s not a Classic Vibe, but it’s several steps above a Bullet or Affinity because it has a proper full size body, and standard size nut width (those two come with narrower nut width, and skinnier bodies). Even the pickups are halfway decent (I believe those come with alnico instead of the cheaper ceramic) which is why it has those classic Strat tones.

Best part is now you can mod it and make a really great playing and sounding guitar for less than the full price of a brand New MIM Strat. I’d start with 250k pots (I’m pretty sure they come with 500k), tuning pegs (I’m partial to vintage style), and a American standard tremolo bridge. Sounds like a lot but it won’t break the bank, and you’ll be very pleased!
Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 AM

Congratulations!

Some prefer strats with trems that don't work. Most just "block" it, I went for a hardtail that was never routed for a trem.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-19-2018, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Congratulations!

Some prefer strats with trems that don't work. Most just "block" it, I went for a hardtail that was never routed for a trem.
And I really wish that Fender produced more hardtail Strats. As to the OP, I've never owned a Squier but recently purchased an MIM Telecaster and Strat. You'll never convince me that one has to spend a bunch of money to buy a great playing and looking Fender electric....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I been a strat guy for 4 decades. Glad you got one.

I been chasing "bell" tone for the last year. Especially neck, and quack positions 2 & 4. I got some Fralin Blues Specials. They have the cleans from heaven!!!
I have tried at least 10 different strat sets. Currently 2 more sets to try with alder and ash bodies. A lot of soldering but some dramatic screening going on over here.

$100 is a great entry into the strat tone world. What amp are you using?

AS far as trem use. It's nice for some slow R&B or surf music but you guys are right block it and use your fingers. There are a few cool momentary trem pedals out there now that feather the trem in.

Last edited by tippy5; 04-28-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:48 PM

I play a bit of surf, so I use the trem often. The trick is to bring it back, not let it go and slam into the body. Pretty simple fare to screw down the two screws of the trem claw, until the bridge just stays down on the body when you do a full step bend.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:52 PM

not to hijack the thread (which is what you always say before you do) but how do you "block" a tremelo?
Old 04-19-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
not to hijack the thread (which is what you always say before you do) but how do you "block" a tremelo?

Easiest way is to screw the claw screws until the bridge is flush with the body. Then tighten everything. Adding springs will have the same effect.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

I like the 1/2" fitted wood wedge and leave only 2 or 3 springs. Part of the strat tone is the old school bridge parts and lightweight Kluson nickel tuners.

If you just want average, or 90% close strat tones you can get beefy, lockable, staggered tuners or other "high end sustain" parts.
Add a heavier Callaham bridge with solid brass bridge block, large saddles, or add 5 RAW Vintage springs.
Then the bell strat tones can sound like an average electric, instead of Leo's original tones.

Last edited by tippy5; 04-19-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Clapton is a Strat player, and I've never seen him use a whammy bar.
Yep. Clapton blocked his Strat, IIRC.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I've never missed having a tremolo on my hardtail Strat, but I have been happy to never have the tuning issues I've experienced with tremolo-equipped Strats that I've played. There are really only a limited number of things, mostly gimmicky things (dive bombs), that you can do with a tremolo but can't do with your fingers, at least close enough that it doesn't matter (i.e. you can bend up with your fingers, but you can't bend down unless you start from a bent-up note and let it go slack).
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars