The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-22-2015, 12:32 PM

Default Fan fret on Emerald X20 - suitability for Bluegrass?

Hi guys,
I've just joined the forum, and am busy reading old threads. Some great info here. However, I don't seem to see anything on fan frets and whether or not they might enhance bluegrass flatpicking sound?

Basically, I'm looking at ordering an X20. I have a rather beat-up old guitar, and think it's time for a trade-up. I really like the look and the entire concept of CF guitars.

I play mostly bluegrass, and because I've not seen or heard of many guys using something like an X20 for flatpicking, I was wondering if a fan fret model might enhance the bass - or whether it would make minimal difference.

Anyone with any experience using a CF guitar for bluegrass? And do you have any thoughts on whether a fan fret model might enhance the bluegrass sound? Or not?

Regards,
Duncan
Old 06-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

I can't answer your question, Duncan. But I just want to say hi and welcome to the forum.

There are some very knowledgeable folks here. I'm sure someone will chime in.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:08 PM

Another Great Big Welcome to the AGF Duncan!!! You are among friends... The bass response on my X20-OS is pretty impressive so I do not know if a fan fret would be needed, unless you want a Baritone... When in doubt just ask Alistair...He is a great guy!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 06-28-2015, 10:34 PM

Default Thanks for the welcome...

Hi guys,
I've emailed Alistair, and he said he's just finished a 26"/25" fan fret which worked out great. He seemed to think the X20 fan fret would be great for BG.

Question:
I've not played with a pickup before. How useful (or otherwise) would the B-Band A3-T pickup be? Might it be somewhat superfluous? I've always just jammed a mic on front of my guitar and got on with it...

Cheers,
Duncan
Old 06-29-2015, 07:17 AM

The pickup is great if you are standing and singing, moving around, etc. If the guitar is miced you need to sit still.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:07 AM
Guest 928

I first ran across a B-band on a guitar not sold in the US. And when I started working with Alistair I went with the B-band. But over time I did not like the extra weight, the need to change batteries, and so forth--at which point I went with K&K, a clean, no maintenance pickup.

On my X20-OSN I had the K&K along with the Guyatone speed Cable for volume control at the guitar, and a mini tuner in the soundhole. That gives me all the control I want at the guitar with a minimum of hassle and without changing the basic structure of the guitar.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:36 PM

Fanned frets afford better trebles, better bass, and better ergonomics. I don't think any of those would cause a disadvantage in any sort of music.

If anything, I would be concerned as to whether the carbon fiber tone is, for the lack of a better term, appropriate for bluegrass. I don't play or listen to bluegrass, so forgive my ignorance.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 PM

Default CF guitar for bluegrass?

Hi,
At the moment, I play a beat-up old dreadnought-style guitar I bought 40 years ago for $31 (new). It is made completely of plywood, with a paper print of a piece of spruce glued to the top. I have played this in indoor and outdoor gigs alongside guitars which probably cost more than 100 times what mine cost, and it stood up remarkably well. I have no idea why. I still have it, but the action is way too high for me now, and the neck can't be adjusted.

An Emerald X20 has GOT to sound better than my "Martin D31" which is what I call it. Ha ha.

Duncan
Old 07-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Guest 928

RT;

Your experience sounds similar to mine--we had some of the first composite guitars--we were ahead of our time.

And yes, CF is a vast improvement. I moved through the Cargo, the OX, several Blackbirds, a Rainsong and 3 Emeralds, and they all sounded better than my first plywood composite guitar. A lot of people have given up their Martins in favor of carbon fiber instruments. You'll love the X20-OS.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:41 PM

Fan frets can be a great benefit for alternate tunings and we use it a lot in custom builds.
For standard tuning 26" on the bass and 25" on the treble is a great scale. It offers a tighter bass response with sweeter trebles. Definitely wouldn't hurt for Bluegrass.
Then there is the big benefit that it looks cool....
Alistair
Old 07-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Guest 928

Oh Alistair, you charmer....

I like that you are on this forum, that you actually interact with the people who play or want to play your instruments.

Of course, I must admit, I am also a fan. I see you as a contemporary Nathan Daniel-- a genius.
Carry on....Say no more........
Old 07-14-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfm View Post
Hi guys,
I've just joined the forum, and am busy reading old threads. Some great info here. However, I don't seem to see anything on fan frets and whether or not they might enhance bluegrass flatpicking sound?

Basically, I'm looking at ordering an X20. I have a rather beat-up old guitar, and think it's time for a trade-up. I really like the look and the entire concept of CF guitars.

I play mostly bluegrass, and because I've not seen or heard of many guys using something like an X20 for flatpicking, I was wondering if a fan fret model might enhance the bass - or whether it would make minimal difference.

Anyone with any experience using a CF guitar for bluegrass? And do you have any thoughts on whether a fan fret model might enhance the bluegrass sound? Or not?

Regards,
Duncan
Welcome to the forum, Duncan.

Ok, two things that absolutely do not come to mind when I think Bluegrass are Emerald guitars, and fan fret guitars. If you are thinking of a CF guitar for Bluegrass, the first place you should look is the Composite Acoustic Legacy. Before they went under CA actually had a Bluegrass model available. They are heavily built, so they love heavy strings, and the added mass will mimic the wood tone a little better. It would be my first choice for CF Bluegrass guitar, and here is the one I would buy.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=383661

A very close second choice would be the more articulate Rainsong CO-DR1000N2. This guitar is much lighter, but it can still handle an aggressive picker. The CO-DR comes with the unidirectional soundboard option that provided added warmth, and has a fully adjustable truss rod so you can add as much relief as you need. Comes with fantastic electronics and has headroom for days.

So, can I ask why you were thinking of an Emerald orchestra model for Bluegrass?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Cheers, mate.

Quote:
can I ask why you were thinking of an Emerald orchestra model for Bluegrass?
Simple, really. Part of what makes us want to play an instrument is what it looks like, and to my eye, the Emeralds win hands down. They are just sexy guitars.

Second, I am really keen on carbon fibre. It is wonderful stuff. I use it a lot in plane building. And I think using CF as the basic material on a guitar is a stroke of inspiration. No more worries about humidity. No more concerns about the bumps and scratches to which all instruments are subject during their lives. But this much all CF guitars have in common. But I really like the way Alistair is willing to build a completely personalised instrument. I think Emerald wins on that front.

And finally - never having tried ANY CF guitar, all I really have to go by is what others say about the instruments. And I have yet to hear anything negative about the X20.

As far as bluegrass is concerned - perhaps I need to explain. I'm now 63, and although I used to play in a bluegrass group or two when I was younger, most of my playing now is at home. It is "nominally" bluegrass, but really, it is solo playing. Mostly trying to learn Banjo Ben's excellent arrangements of bluegrass songs (both on banjo and guitar). If I am fortunate enough to find a fiddle player and a bass - I may well play in a group again. But even in this case, I'm really just looking for a guitar with a nice big base, clean trebles and an action to die for.

And at my stage in life - owning a fan fret is just cool.

Duncan
Old 07-15-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfm View Post
Cheers, mate.

Simple, really. Part of what makes us want to play an instrument is what it looks like, and to my eye, the Emeralds win hands down. They are just sexy guitars.

Second, I am really keen on carbon fibre. It is wonderful stuff. I use it a lot in plane building. And I think using CF as the basic material on a guitar is a stroke of inspiration. No more worries about humidity. No more concerns about the bumps and scratches to which all instruments are subject during their lives. But this much all CF guitars have in common. But I really like the way Alistair is willing to build a completely personalised instrument. I think Emerald wins on that front.

And finally - never having tried ANY CF guitar, all I really have to go by is what others say about the instruments. And I have yet to hear anything negative about the X20.

As far as bluegrass is concerned - perhaps I need to explain. I'm now 63, and although I used to play in a bluegrass group or two when I was younger, most of my playing now is at home. It is "nominally" bluegrass, but really, it is solo playing. Mostly trying to learn Banjo Ben's excellent arrangements of bluegrass songs (both on banjo and guitar). If I am fortunate enough to find a fiddle player and a bass - I may well play in a group again. But even in this case, I'm really just looking for a guitar with a nice big base, clean trebles and an action to die for.

And at my stage in life - owning a fan fret is just cool.

Duncan
Sounds like a perfect match for the X-20!
Old 07-15-2015, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post

Ok, two things that absolutely do not come to mind when I think Bluegrass are Emerald guitars, and fan fret guitars. If you are thinking of a CF guitar for Bluegrass, the first place you should look is the Composite Acoustic Legacy. Before they went under CA actually had a Bluegrass model available. They are heavily built, so they love heavy strings, and the added mass will mimic the wood tone a little better. It would be my first choice for CF Bluegrass guitar, and here is the one I would buy.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=383661

A very close second choice would be the more articulate Rainsong CO-DR1000N2. This guitar is much lighter, but it can still handle an aggressive picker. The CO-DR comes with the unidirectional soundboard option that provided added warmth, and has a fully adjustable truss rod so you can add as much relief as you need. Comes with fantastic electronics and has headroom for days.

So, can I ask why you were thinking of an Emerald orchestra model for Bluegrass?
Having some Bluegrass experience, Ted is right on with this. I play a Jam once a month and there are several pickers that show up with Martin 0 styles / parlor style guitars, and they are pretty much just white noise compared to the Martin, Taylor Dreds, and of course my Rainsong H DR1000.
It's like wearing a 3 piece suit to a Square Dance. You can do it, but it's not the best idea.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
bluegrass, fan fret, flat picking