The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-15-2021, 07:19 AM

Default Resonators (entry-level): mahogany or maple?

Looking for a round neck resonator.... I'm looking at the wood models, and only biscuit bridges/cones, they are mellower-sounding, which I prefer. And all entry-level, nothing expensive.

Just wondering how much difference the wood makes? I see some models are mahogany, some are maple. I can't find demos of some of the actual models I'm looking at (list below), and local stores do not have them to try, so I am going to have to buy online, perhaps even used online, as some of them don't seem to be available anymore....

How much difference does the wood make in a wood resonator, all else being equal (all round necks, all biscuit cones), as opposed to say, body size/depth?

...oh, and I guess the 12 fret vs 14 fret makes a sound difference too?

Royall 29 Triolian Mahogany (no longer available) 12 fret
Royall Triolian all flame maple (no demo available) 12 fret
-she's a beauty, but I don't want the maple making it brighter? I want warm/mellow...
Royall Parlorator mahogany 14 fret
Republic Highway 61 Woody mahogany 14 fret
Gretsch Alligator mahogany 12 fret

...not looking at the Gold Tones; all their wood models (Paul Beards) seem to be Spiders, I want a biscuit.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 11-15-2021, 10:36 AM

Body size will matter more than wood in the cheaper models, though most of the sound comes from the cone. Depth mostly since resonators are mostly a standard classical guitar size. The more body you have you'll get a little better bass response. Especially in those price points the bodies are laminate, not solid wood so it won't make much difference. There might be a very small difference between having a maple vs a mahogany neck but only a dog and Eric Johnson will be able to really hear that.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Wood bodied resonators should be made of plywood. The outer veneer is just for show. In general terms the thicker and heavier the plywood the better. The old wooden Nationals of the 30s were 1/4" plywood. If you can find a cheap copy of one of those (like the MM Blues 28) then you are onto a winner in terms of tone.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-15-2021, 01:30 PM

ok, so going with that info (thanks!), and the demos I can find online, I'm looking at either the Republic Highway 61 Woody (with a Lace Sensor humbucker pickup), or the Royall Parlorator Mahogany, with a tele neck pickup.

Links: any advice?
They seem to be quite similar guitars in size and construction; the Lace Sensor on the Republic adds quite a bit $

Royall (they call it the Bantam; it seems to just be name- it's identical to the Parlorator model)
https://royallguitars.com/product/ro...nish-w-pickup/

Republic
https://republicguitars.com/collecti...14681569198137

Old 11-15-2021, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

I bought a few entry level resonators and they were sold quickly, the one I've kept was the Gretsch roots.

You want mellow, that wouldn't be maple. Gretsch Alligator mahogany 12 fret is an excellent choice.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I bought a few entry level resonators and they were sold quickly, the one I've kept was the Gretsch roots.

You want mellow, that wouldn't be maple. Gretsch Alligator mahogany 12 fret is an excellent choice.
Yes, the Alligator was the first one I looked at. It gets great reviews from users. Then I discovered these "parlor sized" ones, and became enamored with them, thinking sitting on the couch and playing...

Old 11-16-2021, 06:25 AM

I'm surprised you feel that "biscuit bridges are mellower than spider bridges." What do you base that on?

I have an old 1930's Regal spider cone resonator mandolin that is very sweet and mellow toned. About a year ago I bought a Gold Tone Paul Beard Signature wooden body round neck spider cone resonator guitar that also has a sweet tone. Maybe you're equating "lower volume" with "mellow"?
Old 11-16-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I'm surprised you feel that "biscuit bridges are mellower than spider bridges." What do you base that on?
Maybe you're equating "lower volume" with "mellow"?
Just a whole bunch of demos, and comments from owners.

And "maybe" on the volume thing... I just hear the spiders as having more brightness... just as I hear the all-metal ones sounding... well, metallic, as opposed to woody.

I don't yet play slide/resonator... but I've always loved the sounds, and want a parlor size one to mess around with... so I watched a bunch of demos, read a bunch of articles (wood vs metal, spider vs biscuit vs Tricone), and came to the conclusion from what I have heard and read, a wooden/biscuit is the place for me to start. Nothing more complicated than that. If I decide it's a discipline I'm really into, I'll take a deep dive later on.

Also, keep in mind, I can't "just go play some". Resonators are scarce (in shops) around here. They MIGHT have a really cheap Rogue or a Gretsch Alligator, if you're lucky. But no one will have the parlors I listed above. So, demos and owner testimonials are all I have to go on. And I'm ok with that, it's less than $1000 investment.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:37 AM

The Gretsch resonators are a good value. Recording King also has several models to choose from as well. Republic Hwy 61 is a good choice too. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

I have a Recording King Swamp Dog parlor metal body. I prefer that brasher tone to the wood bodied models but YMMV.

These entry level models are not Nationals, Mules, or Beards. They are however perfect for getting into resos without spending a ton of money. Choose the model you like and order it. You may have to spend a little to get it set up properly as many of these need a little fine tuning.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:44 PM

Look at the Gretsch for entry level. I have a brass body and it is very nice.

The mahogany body is the G9240 Alligator.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:06 PM

Well, looks like I'll find out about the Royall flame maple reso, a sunburst one popped up on reverb, so it's on it's way here now....

Old 11-20-2021, 03:35 PM

Congratulations! Pretty resonator!
Old 11-21-2021, 07:20 AM

UPDATE:
The seller refunded me, because "it sold on another site, and my employee did not tell me that, I did not know that when I accepted your offer". EXCEPT I was watching that listing on reverb and eBay, and it did not sell on eBay when he accepted my offer. Shady.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments