The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-15-2021, 06:05 AM

I am very interested in an octave mandolin but the Eastmans are not easy to come across.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-15-2021, 09:10 AM

I bought my Gibson F9 about a dozen years ago. 40% off when a local.shop was closing. The Interweb led me to the Bluegrass G chord, a finger buster if there ever was one.
It took a few years to master that and learn the major and minor chords with the occasional 7th for good measure.
Then I began the transfer of fiddle tunes from my guitar repertoire and worked on the Chop.
The purchase of a Tonegard helped the mandolin tone blossom.
After playing a few more expensive models. I realized that for ensemble work the F9 could really cut through.
A more bass and lower toned model would be my preference for solo playing.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all who chimed in. I ended up with an Eastman MD404 - I love the mahogany tone in my guitars and it seemed to translate to mandos. Has a K&K in it already.

Now, it’s time to start playing!
Old 10-15-2021, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! Pics, pics... we need pics.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
Thanks to all who chimed in. I ended up with an Eastman MD404 - I love the mahogany tone in my guitars and it seemed to translate to mandos. Has a K&K in it already.

Now, it’s time to start playing!
Great choice - you'll get a lot of mileage out of that and better still, if you ever decide to move up the mandolin food chain you won't have any trouble selling the Eastman. Make sure to use a heavy pick - anything from 1.0mm and up will get the best tone and volume.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
I am very interested in an octave mandolin but the Eastmans are not easy to come across.
There’s are two for sale right now on Mandolin Cafe. One priced very well from Sun Valley Guitars. I’m interested in an octave, too, but maybe a little later in my playing journey or I’d grab the Eastman for sure.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 10-15-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
There’s are two for sale right now on Mandolin Cafe. One priced very well from Sun Valley Guitars. I’m interested in an octave, too, but maybe a little later in my playing journey or I’d grab the Eastman for sure.
Thanks Carol. I just bought a guitar last week so I need to pace myself.
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-15-2021, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

As Kerbie said, if there aren't pictures it didn't happen. You've gotten lots of good advice here and have chosen well. Enjoy it and be careful about that death grip on the neck that many guitar players bring with them to the mandolin. Relax and enjoy it!
Old 10-15-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Eastman is not the only octave mandolin maker. OM's are more rare than mandolins. I'd say there are 1000 mandolin players for every octave mandolin player.

My friend Tom TJ Jessen (Cricket fiddle) makes very good, more affordable instruments. A style, F style and guitar body style octave mandolins.

Alternately it's pretty easy to convert a 12 string guitar to a GBOM.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:24 AM

Default Eastman

I have an Eastman MD-505 (A-style) and it is fantastic. Congratulations on your new Eastman!
Old 10-17-2021, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Eastman really does rule the affordability sector of the marketplace. Big fan of the 300 series. Eastmans are a gateway drug. Depending on where you bought from, a setup may be in order. Eastman factory setup is good, but still needs tweaking. The Mandolin Store, Elderly, Gryphon, are just some of the shops that do this for you.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-01-2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:
One aspect of octave mandolins that deserves close attention when deciding on one to buy is scale length. Octave mandolins are much more loosely defined instruments than mandolins or even flat top acoustic guitars. Scale lengths range from 19" to 23". That's a big 4" range and has a big influence on how easy or hard it is to play. If you are coming from the guitar world, you might think that wouldn't matter much since most guitar scale lengths are in the range of 24 3/4" to 25 1/2" and the octave mando scale lengths are shorter and should be easier to play, but that would be wrong because of the tuning is in fifths which means long stretches to reach notes particularly in first position.

If you are coming from the mandolin world, even the shorter end of the octave mandolin scale range takes adjustment to be able to play, especially for fast playing. In some cases, songs you know how to play on mandolin have to be modified a bit to make them playable on an octave mandolin.

I've found that it's easier to reach notes on a 19" scale, but the short scale results in low string tension, floppy strings, and string buzz. With my average size hands, a 23" scale is too long. I cannot play fast single note stuff on a 23" scale length below the 7th fret because of the long reaches required. I've found that a scale length of 20 1/2" to 21" works best for both single note stuff and for chording. If you plan to mainly play chords, a longer scale could work.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:50 AM

Good info, thanks
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 11-02-2021, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've had one of these all solid Trinity College OMs for 20+ years and very happy with it.. It has a big open voice and guitar-like sustain.

https://www.sagamusic.com/shop/mando...n-natural-top/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8hB5RffiY
Old 11-02-2021, 06:04 AM

I just recently purchased my first mandolin, a Kentucky KM-250. The Kentucky KM-150 was highly recommended as a good "student" mandolin, and the KM-250 was only a few dollars more.

I already regret not spending more money, and getting an f-hole mando rather than an oval hole.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments