The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2021, 07:53 PM

Default Guitars On Amazon

I entered “guitars” into the search engine on Amazon today. Man there are a TON of guitars on Amazon. I got a kick out of some of the comments on the various models. Los of folks who don’t know much about guitars are going there to buy guitars, which I guess has it’s good and bad points depending how you look at it. Anybody ever buy a guitar off Amazon? I would be interested in your experience.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

I have bought several. As long as you double check the fine print they have a very good return policy in most cases so you are able to try.

I returned two and kept two.

Both of the keepers were great deals on beautiful new Breedloves USA models in perfect condition. I checked with Breedlove to verify all was good warranty etc and at that point they confirmed they were in fact legit and while they were leveled as sold by "Breedlove" through Amazon they were in fact sold by Sam Ash.

They came up at a price that was basically spectacular as well due to some aggressive auto price matching but I basically picked up a legacy and a premier series at 50% of street price new. I haven't seen deals like that in the last year or two on Amazon though.

I also picked up a Yamaha SLG silent guitar that ended up being sold through another chain store at a pretty good deal.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:07 PM

A number of years ago, on black Friday, I saw a great deal on a Limited T-3. It arrived from a warehouse in Phoenix and the frets were sharp from being stored in a dry climate.
I got a live person finally at customer service and explained the problem. They said I could return or they could try to find a replacement. I told them a replacement would probably have the same problem.
I said I like the guitar, but it would take a few dollars to make it right and I wouldn't know the cost until I took it to a guitar tech. Without hesitating, the rep said "Do you think $200 will cover the work?"
I said yes and they refunded to my card.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_mangum View Post
A number of years ago, on black Friday, I saw a great deal on a Limited T-3. It arrived from a warehouse in Phoenix and the frets were sharp from being stored in a dry climate.
I got a live person finally at customer service and explained the problem. They said I could return or they could try to find a replacement. I told them a replacement would probably have the same problem.
I said I like the guitar, but it would take a few dollars to make it right and I wouldn't know the cost until I took it to a guitar tech. Without hesitating, the rep said "Do you think $200 will cover the work?"
I said yes and they refunded to my card.
That’s one if the great things about buying on Amazon, their return policy is the best around most of the time, well, except for a $50 watch I purchased once. The stem broke the first time I tried to adjust the time and I applied for a refund and was notified “this item is non returnable.” 😩
Old 09-28-2021, 10:21 PM

This one looks like a good buy. (good bye to your money). It's a YYYSHOPP brand and only $7,427.68 US. Only 6 left in stock. I think I might get one.

https://www.amazon.com/Adirondack-Dr...759011&sr=8-20
Old 09-28-2021, 10:36 PM

A few years back, I had a pile of credit card points piled up and wanted a Gretsch electromatic. I cashed them in with amazon and it arrived a few days later. It was indeed the guitar I ordered, in a factory sealed box. Clearly it had never been opened since it left the factory. The setup was atrocious, pickups were so far down they were below the body surface, fretboard was dry as a bone and faded and the strings were rusted. No big deal for me, and I so my own setups and it worked out just fine. I still have it, it's a cool guitar.

Just keep in mind whatever dealer services you would normally expect won't be provided, at least in my case. Otherwise, they do seem to deliver the genuine article.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
This one looks like a good buy. (good bye to your money). It's a YYYSHOPP brand and only $7,427.68 US. Only 6 left in stock. I think I might get one.

https://www.amazon.com/Adirondack-Dr...759011&sr=8-20
For that kind of money it has to be something special. It is probably a limited edition made out of wood from the Celestial Happiness Forest in Tibet. If I just had the bucks.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 09-29-2021, 01:18 PM

Strange...no customer reviews on that one!
Old 09-29-2021, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I know a lot of guys have gotten super cheap Blueridge guitars via Amazon because the price was dropped aggressively. But I've been monitoring a while and haven't found those great deals again.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:50 PM

Watched a video one time on "The Cheapest Guitar You Could Get On Amazon".

Before it was even brought up to tune the bridge was popping of. But it made it through the review.

The gentleman doing the review was scared to death. Almost made worth watching.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 09-29-2021, 02:01 PM

I've steered some beginner students to the Jasmine acoustic line on Amazon. Actually a decent guitar for someone just starting out.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 09-29-2021, 03:16 PM

I bought Gibson electrics on Amazon Canada that turned out fantastic. The key is to a great return policy, which you have if it's 'sold by Amazon' or 'fulfilled by Amazon'. I've never purchased an acoustic through.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

i have bought tons off amazon, although i have had bad and good initial experiences with product & delivery, they ALWAYS give first call resolution and make you feel whole financially with the issue/complaint.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 09-29-2021, 04:58 PM

I've bought electrics on Amazon because I'm confident in my ability to set them up. Not so much with acoustics. I bought a new Telecaster though the Warehouse Deal option on Amazon. Highly recommend if you don't care about minor issues and want to save a few bucks.

Condition listed "some scratches on pickguard." Got the guitar and found the scratches were actually on the protective film attached to the pickguard...

Since then I check the warehouse deals on anything where condition is not a big deal, and usually I can't even see an issue. Yes, I do want this wireless router for $50 less because someone returned it. It's all backed by the same policies anyway.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:01 PM

I've picked up a couple early in my playing years one was a Seagull Performer and the other an Alvarez Artist model. Both were excellent guitars, and although I moved both along, it was only because I found fantastic replacements.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion