The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-02-2021, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
My Yamaha keyboard and my phone and even my TV have a zillion features that I'll never care about until the day that maybe I do. But I didn't buy them because of how deep they can be, I bought them because of how well they work if you choose not to go deep. And that's one of the things I like about Pro Tools.

Also, just speaking for myself, I can get the job done on other DAWs but it's usually less fun, sometimes a lot less fun. If the process is more fun, maybe OP will want to do it more than twice a year. I'd certainly hope so, because when I do anything twice a year I have to pretty much relearn it from scratch every time, and that's something that has only gotten worse as I've gotten older. Again, just speaking for myself.
Hi Brent…
I agree. Recording gear is tools.

I'm also a photographer and I have multiple cameras and lenses because subjects & projects are very different. It's way harder to shoot pictures of myself than to shoot for others.

I have stand alone small digital recorders, and I have multiple computers, DAWS, interfaces, and mics.

A third reason why people came to the studio to record was because they bought the computers, software, mics, preamps and understood the software and learned to use it.

But when they were trying to record themselves, they found it hampered their ability to focus on the music & play/sing freely when they had to fulfill dual roles (recordist and player).

There sure are many ways and reasons to record.

These days I'd just rather do recording sessions with/for artists who are the ones building the project.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-02-2021, 09:24 PM

Lots of good advice here. Thanks.

But, I have to clarify a couple of things, if I may. Even though my use will be simple compared to others here, it will be frequent.

I live alone in a semi rural area of Mexico, so I need to be pretty self sufficient. (No studios or guitar stores nearby.) The guitar is a serious hobby for me. I play for a couple of hours every night -- seven nights a week. I have already bought the interface (Focusrite), a couple of mics, the mixer, etc. I'm just deciding on the software.

And, I just learned that Pro Tools First comes bundled with the Focusrite. However, the Focusrite site today couldn't download because it's "tempoarily unavailable," which seems odd. This is the message I get:

"Pro-Tools | First is temporarily unavailable for technical reasons. Currently, instead of Pro Tools | First, you will be redirected to a 30 day free trial of Pro Tools | Ultimate. We are working on a solution with Avid and we'll keep this page updated appropriately."

Abelton Lite and Ampify Studio are also bundled with it.

Sorry that I wasn't more clear in my original post.

UPDATE ON FOCUSRITE WEB SITE TODAY (12/03/21)

"Pro Tools | First has been discontinued by Avid and is no longer available. A three month free trial of Pro Tools (standard version) will soon be available for any Focusrite users by redeeming a code provided on this page. This offer will only be available to new Avid Pro Tools customers, and can only be used once. Avid are working to give us codes to deliver this offer and we will update this page as soon as we can."

Last edited by pvfederico; 12-03-2021 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfederico View Post
Lots of good advice here. Thanks.

But, I have to clarify a couple of things, if I may. Even though my use will be simple compared to others here, it will be frequent.

I live alone in a semi rural area of Mexico, so I need to be pretty self sufficient. (No studios or guitar stores nearby.) The guitar is a serious hobby for me. I play for a couple of hours every night -- seven nights a week. I have already bought the interface (Focusrite), a couple of mics, the mixer, etc. I'm just deciding on the software.

And, I just learned that Pro Tools First comes bundled with the Focusrite. However, the Focusrite site today couldn't download because it's "tempoarily unavailable," which seems odd. This is the message I get:

"Pro-Tools | First is temporarily unavailable for technical reasons. Currently, instead of Pro Tools | First, you will be redirected to a 30 day free trial of Pro Tools | Ultimate. We are working on a solution with Avid and we'll keep this page updated appropriately."

Abelton Lite and Ampify Studio are also bundled with it.

Sorry that I wasn't more clear in my original post.

UPDATE ON FOCUSRITE WEB SITE TODAY (12/03/21)

"Pro Tools | First has been discontinued by Avid and is no longer available. A three month free trial of Pro Tools (standard version) will soon be available for any Focusrite users by redeeming a code provided on this page. This offer will only be available to new Avid Pro Tools customers, and can only be used once. Avid are working to give us codes to deliver this offer and we will update this page as soon as we can."
Thats interesting Pro Tools First is still listed on Avid's website but if you click the download Tab it still says "Pro-Tools | First is temporarily unavailable for technical reasons."
Do you have a link to the Focusrite page that says it's actually "discontinued" I could not find it on the Focusrite web site, maybe you have to have an account.?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-03-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Thats interesting Pro Tools First is still listed on Avid's website but if you click the download Tab it still says "Pro-Tools | First is temporarily unavailable for technical reasons."
Do you have a link to the Focusrite page that says it's actually "discontinued" I could not find it on the Focusrite web site, maybe you have to have an account.?
I cut and pasted the exact quote from within my Focusrite account, in the download section.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfederico View Post
I cut and pasted the exact quote from within my Focusrite account, in the download section.
Interesting makes sense I don't have account . Over on the Avid forum There is some discussion about the "temporarily unavailable" but nothing about discontinued or on the Avid website . Curiouser and curiouser

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 12-04-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Do consider Reaper. You can download it for free and they allow you to “try” it for as long as you want before buying it (which means you can use it free forever if you want. Strange sales approach but whatever). It’s $60 if you buy the licence I think (wich I did). Tons of great videos on their Forum or YouTube. Check out “ReaperMania” which is done by Kenny Goya (YouTube). I learned a lot from his clear and detailed tutorials on Reaper.

Anyway, good luck and remember to be patient (the learning curve nearly drove me nuts!).
Best $60 I ever spent on music gear. Unless you want to spend lots more...
Old 12-04-2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 View Post
Best $60 I ever spent on music gear. Unless you want to spend lots more...
Based upon demo videos of several DAWs on YouTube, the advice of experienced persons here, and the survey of AGF members, I will probably start with Reaper. I feel most comfortable with it.

I hope to install it and start using it over Christmas.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Do you ever hear about or use "ffmpeg"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I've been working on DAWs (day job) since about 1989, have at least dipped a toe in quite a few DAWs and I'm at least okay at Logic, Cubase, Fairlight, AMS Audiofile (still exists?), Studio One and Pro Tools. Of those, they all have little things here and there where they stand out, but the one that's far and away the best (imo) for overall editing and workflow is Pro Tools. Not free or even close to it, but you asked for best.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:48 AM

IMO, there is no best. If you want a full-featured DAW at reasonable cost, take a look at Reaper. Free to try, $60 to buy.

I use Studio One and I'm very happy with it. As of version 5, Studio One Artist is now a full-featured DAW, although it doesn't have some of the advanced features of the Pro version. It sells for about $100, but is also bundled with many PreSonus hardware products.

I started with Studio One Artist, version 4, and only upgraded to the Pro version because that version of Artist did allow third-party plugins (version 5 does). When I upgraded I also considered Reaper, but stuck with Studio One because I was already familiar with it. I would suggest looking at the reviews for both of these.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 12-06-2021, 08:03 AM

One more Reaper fan.

I've recently started teaching some recording tech and it's made me go back and examine my process and workflow and I'm impressed all over again with the way Reaper allows you to develop and adapt it to fit your own needs.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post

-Mike
No, I had never heard of it until until now. The Wiki article is interesting but pretty "autobiographical."

Couch Standards
Old 12-06-2021, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

-Mike
I've never heard of it ..After looking at the wiki page I guess I don't understand why the average DAW user would bother ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-06-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:

-Mike
That came up in conversation when I was editing video on PC for playback on Mac - a flaming nightmare. The process is a bit of a blur so I can't remember where ffmpeg ended up fitting in but I seem to remember VLC format conversion being involved at some point.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Check out:
https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-...for-pc-and-mac

I use Ableton Live and have for years.

Issue for me is DAWs have way more features and choice options than I would ever use for simple recording at home (just guitar in my case).
You can easily and quickly get confused and lost and use some incorrect setting(s). Work on setting up a default template you start recording
sessions on. Once happy with that your episodes of grief with be much decreased.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-07-2021, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post

I use Ableton Live and have for years.

Issue for me is DAWs have way more features and choice options than I would ever use for simple recording at home (just guitar in my case).
You can easily and quickly get confused and lost and use some incorrect setting(s). Work on setting up a default template you start recording
sessions on. Once happy with that your episodes of grief with be much decreased.
Yes user defined session/project templates are in fact one of the best features of modern DAWs and turn a repetitive chore Into a --launch -- click-- record situation, as fast or sometimes faster than many of the (supposed simple) all in one solutions many use .....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD