The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I also have a DJr, a 2018 model I found locally. I sanded the neck down and applied polish to give a slick feel as it had a rougher satin touch and installed a bone saddle (and pushed the undersaddle back inside the guitar). The previous owner had already had a setup done to the instrument so nut slots are spot on. It's a great little guitar and I play it all the time even though I have several expensive guitars.
My Djr is a great guitar, regardless of price. I have several more expensive models that are getting no playing time, and the evidence points directly at the Djr. Love the neck on this thing! I too replaced the plastic saddle with bone, and it sounds great acoustically or plugged in. It's just an easy playing, comfortable, great sounding guitar!
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker

Last edited by El Cheapo; 09-21-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

so here is a pleasantly priced 12 string..I bought it till I can fix the belly on my Norman. its a Denver DD4412 Nat. paid $225 + Tax and then had some set up done as well as bone saddle shaved and nut filed. also had relief done as i tune all 12s down a full step. action is awesome now for fingerpicking and feels nice to fretting hand. changed the D'adds that came on it to Martins (didnt like the D'adds were tinny) and added a strap button by neck joint neck pos 4-5 and gave it a Martin Strap so it would feel loved lam spruce top...Mahogany sides and back (back is pretty for a cheap git) and sonokeling fingerboard. must say for a $250 investment ( got all the work done free at L&M since i buy alot of junk there) not a bad dealio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back 12 denver.jpg (44.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg front 12 denver.jpg (32.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg side 12 denver.jpg (29.4 KB, 72 views)

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 09-22-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I played a number of pretty expensive guitars today, and the one that sticks in my mind the most was a particular Seagull Entorage. I swear, for $500 bucks you got a guitar that sounded at least 98% as good as many guitars costing several thousand dollars, bright and lively but with good bass and a nice full sound. I've got an Art Lutherie that sounds much like it, as well as some more expensive guitars, but I still had a hard time putting that thing back on the rack.
+1 on the Seagulls. I own 3 now and they hold their own very well with the big name brands and for not a lot of money (especially used). I've been similarly impressed with Alvarez Artist and Masterworks models and of course the Yamahas, which are even more consistent. In my book, best 3 brands for low cost/high quality and they are readily available on the used market, often in like new condition and cheap.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:35 AM

That's what I've been telling people who ask if there's a good affordable guitar, I say there's so many good cheap guitars being made now, it's like the bar got raised and all the makers stepped up to meet the bar, besides fender of course (kidding).

Recently I picked up a new Yamaha that I thought was an FG800, I was really impressed by it, looking it over I found it was the all laminate FG325! Even their all laminate is sounding impressive for a $200 guitar!
Old 09-22-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
+1 on the Seagulls. I own 3 now and they hold their own very well with the big name brands and for not a lot of money (especially used). I've been similarly impressed with Alvarez Artist and Masterworks models and of course the Yamahas, which are even more consistent. In my book, best 3 brands for low cost/high quality and they are readily available on the used market, often in like new condition and cheap.
I have several Alvarez Artist Series and Masterwork Series and I got them at great price and they're amazing sounding and fantastic build quality.

Sometimes I feel I'm sitting on a secret no one else knows about!
Old 10-01-2021, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Default A little on the higher side

About 8 months ago, I started searching for a 'knock around' guitar to take to the beach and camping. Although I love the GS Mini, my long arms made it a little uncomfortable for me. I stumbled on a prototype Taylor Academy 10e that was for sale at Wildwood guitars. These typically come with layered Sapele back and sides, but this one had Walnut b/s. For $600, I cannot put this guitar down. Short scale, arm bevel, and very good tone. Putting Silk and Bronze strings on this really sealed the deal for me. They cut down the 'zing' and added a very mellow tone to it. It is just so much fun to play.

(lots of reflections, sorry)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion