The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 07:57 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Arrow SOLD:Bashkin Cedar/Myrtle (Wheat stalks) fan fret Placencia...**$2985!!**

FS:Bashkin Cedar/Myrtle (Amazing Wheat stalks in wood) fan fret Placencia

WHAT??? SOLD

Here is a guitar I recently accepted in trade. To me, this guitar is a steal at this price since new Bashkin guitars start at $7,200 if you could order one - and my understanding is that he is not taking orders. This is a chance to own an exceptional handmade custom guitar! This is a 2004 build, and his signature sound. The back/sides wood are twins to Larry J's famous OM.

This is an opportunity to own an amazing Michael Bashkin Placencia OM guitar. It is not like any guitar you have seen. The back and sides are made from a gorgeous myrtle wood. There is a pattern of wheat stalks that is amazing. The wood has a sound somewhat like mahogany-Top is cedar. The guitar is about 12 years old, and has opened up nicely. Oh, and we're not done with amazing - the guitar is a fan fret, with a gentle fan that enhances the bass tones. You don't really feel the fan when you're playing - it's very subtle - but it is a nice addition. Scale is 24-3/4" on the first string, 25-5/8" on the sixth. 1-3/4" nut. Binding is rosewood. Clear pick guard. Sound and playability are excellent. Onboard electronics - I'm honestly not sure of the brand - installed by Bashkin when built. Includes Hiscox Liteflite case.

Regarding the tone, the former owner said the following and I agree: "It's a sweet one. I don't think I've ever played guitars with that sort of "bloom" and "pop." One of my favorite things to do on Bashkins is to get in dropped D and do a double 12th-fret harmonic on the two D strings. It's as if the note sounds, swells, SWELLS, SWELLS!, and then shimmers and goes away. I've never played another guitar that's done that."

It has a small either a finish crack or a hairline crack in the Cedar. Regarding the crack...(be it a finish crack or a very fine wood crack), here is what the former owner said "There is a little pencil-point smudge on the lower bass bout, and more significantly a top finish crack parallel to the fingerboard, treble side. It's visible but not glaring. I've spoken with Michael about it, and apparently it is typical of his cedar topped guitars of the period (see here, for another example: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...hlight=Bashkin). I've had it checked at Maple St. Guitars and they too indicated it wasn't worth fixing. The other two Bashkins from that period (both with those little finish imperfections) on the AGF lately have gone vicinity $3750, and neither had the myrtle and fan fret design that this one has." Then later for clarification he said: "It is typical of Mike Bashkin's cedar-topped builds from that era. I spoke with him about it when I bought the guitar, had it checked at Maple St. Guitars, and had it checked by Marty Jacobsen (a nearby luthier and friend http://martinjacobson.com/id/). All indicated that (a) it is non-structural (hence my reference to it as a finish crack rather than a wood crack, per se), (b) it is stable, and (c) it could be glued or cleated, but there was no need for the latter due to stability and no need for the former in that any glue would be visible."

Given all of the above, I've priced this very very fair and at a steal relative to what it would cost to replace. With the very cool wood this is a steal for someone who doesn't mind some imperfections

Price: SOLDplus shipping and Paypal. Open to trades

Here's a picture of the imperfection mentioned in the ad:

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 10-19-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Smile Egads...

This is a Stunner! I love the figure in the Myrtle...

One of the best guys around to deal with. Buy with confidence from Mike!!!

This will be gone in a jiffy, I bet...

Play her while ya can!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-14-2018, 01:01 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
This is a Stunner! I love the figure in the Myrtle...

One of the best guys around to deal with. Buy with confidence from Mike!!!

This will be gone in a jiffy, I bet...

Play her while ya can!

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul! This is one HECK of a guitar for the money. The figure on the myrtle is unlike any I've personally ever seen. The guitar sounds and plays fantastic.

Offers have been coming in consistently this morning while I was in church. Working to get back with everyone. Paul did you say "gone in a jiffy??" Open to all cash offers also. Someone is going to get one heck of a deal on this one.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:44 PM

Folks, with my multiscale build with Michael pricing out at over $10k, this is a steal and would be mine I didn't have that build in the works.

No relation to the seller but this seems like a screaming deal to me.

PS that myrtle is *stunning*.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 10-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

I had a GAS attack seeing this. I've been on the mend ever since I acquired my Bashkin Placencia earlier this year...and now this appears at an insane price. Even with the 1-3/4" nut (I prefer something wider), that multi-scale is enough to make me think thoughts I shouldn't. If this is still here in 24 hours, I'll be stunned.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:47 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Screaming deal indeed. GLWS.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Wow, that is an awesome deal. Gorgeous guitar. Good luck, Mike.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Michael Bashkin is one of my favorite luthiers in the world and this price is nuts. Incredible deal.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:00 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Well, thanks to all of you who have spoken for the comments. A friend told me that he thinks the back and sides are Australian Tiger Myrtle and I'm guessing he is correct since he tends to be "in the know".

Also, some have asked about some specific measurements...they are: The butt end of the guitar measures 4 1/2 deep. Where it meets the neck is 3 3/8. String spacing at the saddle is 2 1/4

There are several who I thought would have bought this already, but it is still for sale. Would prefer not to take trades on this one if possible, and a solid cash deal would suit me just fine .

Someone is going to get...as chippygreen said...is a screamin' deal!! I can ship today if anyone is ready to talk turkey, let's talk!!

Last edited by invguy921; 10-15-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Default what a great guitar...

This is a wonderful guitar, folks... I am the former owner, and can verify all of the quotes Mike attributes to me. The Bashkin is splendid and unique.

It was in my small stable as a life-long keeper, but I (necessarily, but sadly) swapped it with Mike in a deal toward that spectacular Hatcher. His price is generous and fair.

And Mike, as many of you know, is as classy and polished in his interactions here on the forum as is that famous table on which he displays his guitars for photography. He does all of this right, and for good reasons.

Good luck with the sale (not that you'll need it).

Mark
Old 10-15-2018, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Bashkin guitars are superb....!
Old 10-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markkunkel View Post
This is a wonderful guitar, folks... I am the former owner, and can verify all of the quotes Mike attributes to me. The Bashkin is splendid and unique.

It was in my small stable as a life-long keeper, but I (necessarily, but sadly) swapped it with Mike in a deal toward that spectacular Hatcher. His price is generous and fair.

And Mike, as many of you know, is as classy and polished in his interactions here on the forum as is that famous table on which he displays his guitars for photography. He does all of this right, and for good reasons.

Good luck with the sale (not that you'll need it).

Mark
Thank you for the kind comments Mark! Back at ya brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Bashkin guitars are superb....!
Thanks Dave! Indeed they are. This one is going to tonally WOW somebody in a very good way. It really is quite good and worthy of the praise Osthoffs guitars get here and everywhere else.

Gotta say that I am surprised this is still here. Gotta believe somebody is about ready to step into this one. Who would have thought...a guitar of this caliber for under 3K??? Talk to me folks...great stuff at great prices disappear right under your nose while you're "thinkin'" .

Old 10-15-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Well, thanks to all of you who have spoken for the comments. A friend told me that he thinks the back and sides are Australian Tiger Myrtle and I'm guessing he is correct since he tends to be "in the know".
I talked with Michael years ago about commissioning a guitar with a very similar set if not sister set to this beauty. I'm almost 99.9% sure this is Oregon Myrtle. Regardless- beautiful guitar!

-Bryan
Old 10-16-2018, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

???????????????????????

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 10-17-2018, 04:45 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcafan View Post
I talked with Michael years ago about commissioning a guitar with a very similar set if not sister set to this beauty. I'm almost 99.9% sure this is Oregon Myrtle. Regardless- beautiful guitar!

-Bryan
Thanks Bryan! You very well may be right as well. All any of us know for sure is wherever this gorgeous wood came from it is really cool and that this is one special guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
???????????????????????

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deft, I KNOW, RIGHT?????

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars