The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-08-2018, 08:55 PM

Default NAD - Boss Acoustic Singer Pro

Just received my new Boss amp. Unfortunately I've only spent about 20mins using it so far, but tonight I'll have more of a chance with it.
Good looking fit and finish, but I still don't understand why everything has to be brown!!
Compared to my dads now ancient 1997 Jade Australia 130w acoustic/ vocal amp sitting in the corner of my music room, you can see that there have been some major advancements in the acoustic amp design and size!!

I'll update with some feedback later tonight
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 10-08-2018, 10:11 PM

Use the phase reverse and notch if you get more feedback.

Spent some time playing with the pedal version tonight. I ran into a stealth modulation in a song i was working on. I'd never learned the song despite being very familiar with it. I always assumed that the song was in C, and the tonal centers shifted between Dm on verses and C maj on chorus, but no it actually appears to modulate. I guess as long as I'm using auto key and strumming it might can follow me, but I was trying to track vocals tonight and havent yet learned the guitar/bass part. Wish you could feed it MIDI as clues to the harmonizer.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:00 AM

Watching this thread with a lot of interest.

I’ve been eying one of these for a little while and I’m still trying to decide if it would be the best amp for me.

I have watched most video reviews but they seem to all be regurgitated sales pitches from stores.

I have read a good review on this forum but am surprised how little
actual buyers reviews there are.

I’m looking forward to hearing your feedback on the unit.

I was thinking of getting one of these as an all in one for small gigs and if I need to it could be my monitor and use DI to my powered speaker.

I’d love to know how they are in a live setting. I did read one review that said it was disappointing but not sure why or if that was just personal taste.

I’m also keen to know if they sound good when using a magnetic pickup.

At the moment my solo set up is a DBR10 speaker and my Play Acoustic pedal, I’m not sure how one of these amps would compare....
Old 10-09-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfrat View Post
Use the phase reverse and notch if you get more feedback.

Spent some time playing with the pedal version tonight. I ran into a stealth modulation in a song i was working on. I'd never learned the song despite being very familiar with it. I always assumed that the song was in C, and the tonal centers shifted between Dm on verses and C maj on chorus, but no it actually appears to modulate. I guess as long as I'm using auto key and strumming it might can follow me, but I was trying to track vocals tonight and havent yet learned the guitar/bass part. Wish you could feed it MIDI as clues to the harmonizer.
Thanks for your comment swarfrat. I've played with the amp some more, but I'm a real beginner when it comes to them and pedals. The majority of the time I turn up to a venue and just plug into what is already there. This is a new experience!
Everything else you mentioned went so far over my head, I'm just sitting here with a dumb look on my face and nodding slightly!!
Old 10-09-2018, 06:37 PM

I forgot the smiley on the feedback wisecrack. It was a joke.

The rest is stuff I'm trying to figure out.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 PM

Zandit,

I found the comment from one buyer that complained there’s feedback awefully if you turned it up more then about 3 on vocals.

Indeed in all but one video reviews I’ve seen volume knob was set low. But I did find one where it looked to be turned up quite a bit.

Can you confirm that indeed these can be played at gig levels without feedback? How far can they be pushed in terms of usable volume?

Thanks you.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
Watching this thread with a lot of interest.

I’ve been eying one of these for a little while and I’m still trying to decide if it would be the best amp for me.

I have watched most video reviews but they seem to all be regurgitated sales pitches from stores.

I have read a good review on this forum but am surprised how little
actual buyers reviews there are.

I’m looking forward to hearing your feedback on the unit.

I was thinking of getting one of these as an all in one for small gigs and if I need to it could be my monitor and use DI to my powered speaker.

I’d love to know how they are in a live setting. I did read one review that said it was disappointing but not sure why or if that was just personal taste.

I’m also keen to know if they sound good when using a magnetic pickup.

At the moment my solo set up is a DBR10 speaker and my Play Acoustic pedal, I’m not sure how one of these amps would compare....
Hey Mischief, thanks for following along.
You're right, the majority of reviews are sales blurbs, however I really like the Acoustic Paradiso review that was done by the guys at Andertons

Those guys don't tend to sugar coat things too much.

At this stage I've only played with the guitar channel, I'll be borrowing some gear this weekend to try out the vocal side of things with my FS-7 pedal for the harmonies. I'll be getting some more gear of my own over the next couple of months so I don't need to keep borrowing stuff.

So far, I spent about 30 odd minutes on it last night, tried out the looper pedal and wow, that's going to take some work! Full credit to anyone who does that on a regular basis!!

As for sound, I might need to plug in one of my two older guitars to see how they sound. The two shown in the photo above are my older guitars, they just have a standard piezo arrangement in them. My new guitar that I recently built at a special class has the new Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend installed, so getting the mic blend just right needs some work.
The internal mic is so sensitive, I barely have it activated, but it certainly does add quite a bit to the overall sound.

More updates as I have them.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Thanks, your insight is much appreciated. [emoji4]
Old 10-09-2018, 08:21 PM

I don't get loopers. I can see where it would be fun to play with by yourself. But not something I'd do in public. I'll probably drag my Zoom R24 and plug it into the aux input.

I might use the harmonizer on BGV parts, but record them. And pitch correction on the live mic, with no live/lead vocal harmonization. (The Zoom is along for the ride because I have a full multitrack drums/bass/electric guitar part, playing acoustic guitar and singing live.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I forgot the smiley on the feedback wisecrack. It was a joke.

The rest is stuff I'm trying to figure out.
Haha, all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
Zandit,

I found the comment from one buyer that complained there’s feedback awefully if you turned it up more then about 3 on vocals.

Indeed in all but one video reviews I’ve seen volume knob was set low. But I did find one where it looked to be turned up quite a bit.

Can you confirm that indeed these can be played at gig levels without feedback? How far can they be pushed in terms of usable volume?

Thanks you.

Thanks.
Until I get a microphone, which won't be until the weekend, I can't really comment on that just yet. Hopefully I have some insight for you on Sunday.

Quote:
I don't get loopers. I can see where it would be fun to play with by yourself. But not something I'd do in public. I'll probably drag my Zoom R24 and plug it into the aux input.

I might use the harmonizer on BGV parts, but record them. And pitch correction on the live mic, with no live/lead vocal harmonization. (The Zoom is along for the ride because I have a full multitrack drums/bass/electric guitar part, playing acoustic guitar and singing live.
Yeah, this was more of a bonus feature for me, and possibly not something I will use in earnest any time soon.

So you record all your own backing tracks and vocals? Would be a great thing to do, but I'm more leaning towards single voice with occasional harmonies, and just the acoustic guitar. I can add backing tracks via the 3.5mm jack if required, but that will be further down the road for me.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:48 PM

I play one or two songs at church every other month or so. Great for getting your feet wet (or your whole body, we're baptists). So I have 1) time to work on stuff, and 2) I'm trying to work up the production level a bit. So far i've done vocal plus acoustic guitar nothing else. I'm currently working on a ballad I doubt any tracks exist for, and I've been meaning to learn for about 30 years. I dabble in bass and drums as well, so i'm learning the whole tune and replacing all the instruments until I have my own version. I'm dangerous enough on bass to figure out a tune at a time. I have the basic drum track (programming) about 80% done but the hats and cymbals are kicking my butt.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I play one or two songs at church every other month or so. Great for getting your feet wet (or your whole body, we're baptists). So I have 1) time to work on stuff, and 2) I'm trying to work up the production level a bit. So far i've done vocal plus acoustic guitar nothing else. I'm currently working on a ballad I doubt any tracks exist for, and I've been meaning to learn for about 30 years. I dabble in bass and drums as well, so i'm learning the whole tune and replacing all the instruments until I have my own version. I'm dangerous enough on bass to figure out a tune at a time. I have the basic drum track (programming) about 80% done but the hats and cymbals are kicking my butt.
Good luck with it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification