The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-07-2018, 05:03 PM

Default Volume control problem? (element in J-35)

I have a 2016 Gibson J-35 with the stock Baggs Element UST (with soundhole-mounted volume and tone control). I hadn't used it plugged in in about year and with a rare live gig coming up, I wanted to check to make sure all my gear was in working order.

Alas, when I plugged in to my PA, I went to adjust the volume control and it only functioned correctly from all the way up to about 1/3rd of the way down, then cut out entirely. I tried adjusting it super slowly and right before cutting out completely, it actually has a distortion sound.

I tried the usual things - omitting tuner and PADI from signal chain; new battery in guitar; rolling volume control back and forth a few dozen times... Nothing changed.

I'll take it into the local shop where I got it for their help, but curious if anyone has experienced this, and if so, what was the problem?
Old 10-08-2018, 05:33 AM

Let us know what is done to fix it. Are you playing through a DI to the PA/Mixer?
Old 10-08-2018, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

im wondering if the wheel needs some kind of contact cleaner?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FThomas View Post
Let us know what is done to fix it. Are you playing through a DI to the PA/Mixer?
Yes. chain is: Gibson to Boss tuner to Baggs Para DI to powered PA speaker. But, to eliminate variables, I also went straight into the PA speaker and checked another guitar. It's definitely a pickup issue.

I did try rolling the volume wheel back and forth a couple dozen times since that's often helpful after gear has sat awhile, but nothing changed.

re: contact cleaner - I don't actually know where or how I'd apply it? I've actually never worked with that stuff, and the volume wheel is really tiny. Any advice there? I don't even know what I'd be trying to clean.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Guest 728

Not to be discouraging, but I removed the Element from the three Gibsons I've owned that came with it. I replaced one with a K & K, one with a Baggs Lyric, and the other one I left acoustic. All were a vast improvement.

While I never experienced issues with the volume control, I found the string volume to be uneven (very loud under the A string, very quiet under the B), and the tone to exhibit the worst characteristics of a UST: quacky, harsh, and plasticky. My advice would be to cut your losses and get something else in there.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Not to be discouraging, but I removed the Element from the three Gibsons I've owned that came with it. I replaced one with a K & K, one with a Baggs Lyric, and the other one I left acoustic. All were a vast improvement.

While I never experienced issues with the volume control, I found the string volume to be uneven (very loud under the A string, very quiet under the B), and the tone to exhibit the worst characteristics of a UST: quacky, harsh, and plasticky. My advice would be to cut your losses and get something else in there.
I'd get some contact cleaner and carefully spray the little pot controlling the volume, then roll it around a lot and see if that solves the problem. If you don't plug in very often as you said, I wouldn't spend the money on a different system. I think it's a pretty decent system. It sounds as if the guitar is still usable as is, if you turn it up past the breaking up point and control your volume at the board or amp you are using.

I know this isn't a very popular system on this forum, but I have one in my Gibson Hummingbird Pro and I really like it. I have a K&K in another guitar, and with some bass cut to remove the boominess it sounds almost too natural. It kind of gets lost in the mix. The Element needs some high end cut because it seems to accentuate the highs in an already bright sounding guitar. My Gibson amplified doesn't sound quacky or plastic at all. It sounds like an unamplified guitar but livelier.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:19 PM

The cleaner you want to use, which won't be as easy to find, is DeOxit Fader Lube. Contact cleaner from Home Depot will be too corrosive for guts of that POT. I would remove the volume control assembly from the guitar and surround it with something to absorb the over spray which you definitely don't want on exposed wood and may mar nitro lacquer too. My guess is it won't help. Those little POTs have a relatively short life compared to the full sized ones in your Strat. A tech would have no problem ordering a replacement from Baggs and installing it.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-08-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The cleaner you want to use, which won't be as easy to find, is DeOxit Fader Lube. Contact cleaner from Home Depot will be too corrosive for guts of that POT. I would remove the volume control assembly from the guitar and surround it with something to absorb the over spray which you definitely don't want on exposed wood and may mar nitro lacquer too. My guess is it won't help. Those little POTs have a relatively short life compared to the full sized ones in your Strat. A tech would have no problem ordering a replacement from Baggs and installing it.
Good advice here ^^^.

You should also clean the jack connector. It is just as likely (maybe more) that the unused jack has some oxidation on the contact surfaces. This is very common in all audio gear. The increased resistance would explain why the signal is good when turned up yet unable to properly pass signal at lower voltage. A good way to clean 1/4" jacks is to go to a gun store (or Amazon) and get a .25 caliber bore cleaning brush.

Do you use any kind of humidifier or Damp-it? If so, that would increase the chances of oxidation on unused electrical connections/contacts.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

Last edited by Wyllys; 10-08-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:55 AM

Thanks for all the great replies and help. I will leave any removal/replacement work to a qualified pro, but I am intrigued by the jack cleaning idea - that never occurred to me and is something I could at least try pretty easily with no harm to wood/guitar/finish.

As for the *sound* of the Element - yep, Willie Voltaire, I agree. The Element is not great. That's partly why I posted this question - because I was thinking if something has died in the Element system and needs to be replaced, it might make more sense to just get a good sounding pickup in there. I have an Anthem on my Martin OM-21, which sounds fantastic. However, I enjoy playing the Gibson more. And unfortunately I was told that harvesting a well-used Anthem from one guitar and moving it to another isn't a good idea.

I've considered getting an Anthem in the Gibson, but they're pricey and I don't play out a ton these days... Anyway, i'll be using my Martin at my gig tonight. I almost sold it recently - glad I didn't!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification