The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-05-2018, 09:33 PM

Default LR Baggs Anthem in Martin HD-28V?

I’ve got a Martin HD-28V from 2013 that’s really great. I’m thinking of adding a pickup to it. The K&K is a standard around here, but does it require the beltpack Preamp? I’ve listened to a lot of clips of the LR Baggs Anthem and it sounds great. Would the saddle design of the 2013 era HD-28V preclude me from installing the undersaddle portion of the Anthem? If so how does the Lyric compare to the K&K?
Old 10-05-2018, 09:46 PM

The anthem is not really compatible with the HD-28V. The long drop in saddle does not work well with a under saddle pickup. I have tried this install. Twice. And both times it was a mistake. You can give the Lyric a try. It is a nice mic for a dreadnought Martin. I install them on the back of the bridge plate, not under the saddle line. Otherwise, K&K IS your best bet.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The anthem is not really compatible with the HD-28V. The long drop in saddle does not work well with a under saddle pickup. I have tried this install. Twice. And both times it was a mistake. You can give the Lyric a try. It is a nice mic for a dreadnought Martin. I install them on the back of the bridge plate, not under the saddle line. Otherwise, K&K IS your best bet.
I thought I remembered reading that. Thanks for the feedback!

What are some good Preamp options for the K&K that give a realistic tone?
Old 10-06-2018, 07:33 AM

My turn to say it first, ToneDexter. At the other extreme, a Fire-Eye Red-Eye sounded good to me when I used it with a K&K.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-06-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
My turn to say it first, ToneDexter. At the other extreme, a Fire-Eye Red-Eye sounded good to me when I used it with a K&K.
Wow, that’s impressive! How does it compare to the Fishman Aura?

And if I plan on using an acoustic amp, how much of a Preamp does the K&K need?
Old 10-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Default K&K Pure XLR PreAmp

I use a K&K Pure XLR Preamp and I like it a lot. You can set it by your mixer or on a mic stand and use a balanced XLR out to the board. Runs on phantom power or battery. There was just one listed in the classifieds for $85, which sold.

Here's a link to one @ Maury's for reference:
https://www.maurysmusic.com/k_k_pure_xlr_preamp
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 10-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
Wow, that’s impressive! How does it compare to the Fishman Aura?

And if I plan on using an acoustic amp, how much of a Preamp does the K&K need?
ToneDexter vs. Aura: clear win for ToneDexter on tone. You do need a mic and have to train it so the Aura wins on ease of use.

If you are using an acoustic amp and don't need to plug your K&K into a mixer's 3K-10K ohm line inputs, then you don't need a preamp. HOWEVER, never ask about what you need on the AGF as it attracts hobbyists who need everything!!! Otherwise we would run the hobby dry pretty quickly :~).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-06-2018, 11:18 AM

Jon is right. If you want to most realistic mic-like tone, the ToneDexter is the clear winner. Some players want a different more "direct" sound and will go with a simple analog product like the Red-eye, which will basically clean and amplify, and match the impedance for the amplification system. But, it will only send what the K&K gives. Don't bother with Aura for the K&K. Some of us used it with success before ToneDexter was released. Now that ToneDexter exists, Aura is really just best for Fishman trasducers.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I agree with everyone.

1. The Anthem won't work because of the glued in saddle on the HD-28V
2. The K&K is a mixed bag. It needs a good preamp. I tried the RedEye recently and while it may be great with the K&K, I was expecting to be a magic bullet and in my experience it was not. I still think my Baggs Anthem in other guitars (with drop in saddles) sounds way better than my K&K equipped Martin Outlaw 17 with the RedEye
3. Therefore the Tonedexter makes the most sense for K&K equipped guitars.
4. I've tried the K&K XLR preamp and I was underwhelmed. It helps, but meh. (IMO)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-06-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I agree with everyone.

1. The Anthem won't work because of the glued in saddle on the HD-28V
2. The K&K is a mixed bag. It needs a good preamp. I tried the RedEye recently and while it may be great with the K&K, I was expecting to be a magic bullet and in my experience it was not. I still think my Baggs Anthem in other guitars (with drop in saddles) sounds way better than my K&K equipped Martin Outlaw 17 with the RedEye
3. Therefore the Tonedexter makes the most sense for K&K equipped guitars.
4. I've tried the K&K XLR preamp and I was underwhelmed. It helps, but meh. (IMO)
I was also underwhelmed with the K&K XLR preamp, and I've owned it along with the internal Trinity pre, which was a bit better, but still not good enough for me to keep it in a guitar. I also think the redeye/K&K combo that people rave about is good for low volume stuff but when the volume comes up on the big stages I think it falls short unless you've got a good EQ in the loop. And I've got the Anthem is one of my guitars and it easily sounds better than any K&K equipped guitar that I've owned (and many of the guitars I've bought came with K&Ks in them). So, I absolutely agree with all of your points here!!! My dislike of using most anything digital on stage has kept me from embracing the ToneDexter. IMO most digital items are too hard to adjust to changing conditions on the fly. For the one guitar that I still own with a K&K in it I like the Grace preamps best (Alix, Felix).
Old 10-06-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I was also underwhelmed with the K&K XLR preamp, and I've owned it along with the internal Trinity pre, which was a bit better, but still not good enough for me to keep it in a guitar. I also think the redeye/K&K combo that people rave about is good for low volume stuff but when the volume comes up on the big stages I think it falls short unless you've got a good EQ in the loop. And I've got the Anthem is one of my guitars and it easily sounds better than any K&K equipped guitar that I've owned (and many of the guitars I've bought came with K&Ks in them). So, I absolutely agree with all of your points here!!! My dislike of using most anything digital on stage has kept me from embracing the ToneDexter. IMO most digital items are too hard to adjust to changing conditions on the fly. For the one guitar that I still own with a K&K in it I like the Grace preamps best (Alix, Felix).
So what would you do with an HD-28V?
Old 10-06-2018, 09:35 PM

I was in a similar situation with a D18GE. The glue in saddle is a bummer. I don't like the K&K at all. Sold the guitar and got a regular D18.
ES-335
'63 Relic Strat Willcutt
Gibson SG W/ Maestro
Old 10-07-2018, 03:14 AM

If your HD28v is from 2013 then it doesn't have a glued in saddle, it's a drop in saddle that's just longer than a regular one - if it has rounded ends it's a drop in and square ends are glued.

My OM28v has an Anthem in it and there's no issues with the install. I've been very happy with the sound for several years and always got compliments on the tone.

I have recently installed K&K Pure Minis in a couple of Collings - they took a little while to get the EQ correct as I found the K&K much more prone to low end feedback but now I use a Grace Felix to EQ both guitars, notching out between 100-200 seems to tame the worst of the feedback.

Compared to the Anthem I would say the K&K is a bit thicker sounding, with less air - I think the trebles are a bit more powerful but then it's difficult to say as my Collings have thicker trebles than my Martin anyway.

The Martin is due a refret, new nut and saddle at some point and I'm debating getting the K&K put in so that all my pickups match, but the Anthem is a great plug and play system that doesn't seem to need much EQ so I don't know about keeping it for 'quick setup' gigs...
Old 10-07-2018, 04:54 AM

So is this drop in or glued?

Old 10-07-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
So is this drop in or glued?

Looks drop in to me - see that the ends of the saddle are rounded not square?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification