The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-07-2018, 06:38 AM

I'm curious regarding the company split - what's now different about the 'legacy' PUTW products and David Enkes new company? If looking to purchase one of these style pickups which company is worth looking at? BTW I had the #54 before. Sounded good but a little 'hollow' plus it did feedback at louder volumes. But very acoustic sounding. Interested in giving it a go again. Thanks.

2005 Lakewood D54 - Sunrise and Dazzos
2004 Taylor Big Baby - K&K Trinity
SR Technology Jam 400 + QSC K10
TC Electronic 2240
Kurzweil Rumour
(Digitech 2120 for electric duties at home)
Old 04-07-2018, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

On the same general subject, Teddy Randazzo has been working with and is now offering Sunnaudio products with his pickups. I had Sunnaudio build me a DI in a box, and it has gotten raves from quite a few who have played through it, including K&K users.

It is going to end up as part of the open mic PA system on Thurs. nights at Cameron's in Half Moon Bay, Ca. If you'd like to play through it just show up, but PM me in the next few weeks to make sure I'll be there as I have some personal issues that may hinder my attendance. Eventually I'll be leaving it there with the PA.

Sunnaudio is looking for feedback, so they sold me a prototype at a discount when I told them it's intended use.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-21-2018, 12:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Br1ck, hi, sorry, never saw this, been so busy. I'm way down in L.A., quite a distance from Half Moon Bay, but will ring your bell if headed your direction.

How is that DI you got, now that you've had a chance to play with it?

Thanks,
Scott Memmer
Old 04-21-2018, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Dave, yes, I figured as much. I do a LOT of solo shows and open mics, which is what this is targeted for, so no biggie. I have excellent Baggs and Trance Audio rigs in my HD-28 and Eastman E-10SS for full band situations.

Thanks again. You were a pleasure to deal with.

scott
Hey Scott. I still love your Dutchman cover. No pickup there, correct? Just an SM58?
Old 04-22-2018, 09:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Hey Scott. I still love your Dutchman cover. No pickup there, correct? Just an SM58?
themissal, correct, no pickup at all on "The Dutchman," just straight into a Shure SM-58, the way it oughta be. Hate to break the news to you, folks, but there isn't an acoustic guitar pickup on the planet that will touch a decent $100 mic, any decent $100 mic, in this case a Shure SM-58. I own both a PUTW and a Trance Audio, and those are very very good, but not perfect.

This song is not about my performance, but to demonstrate what a great acoustic guitar sounds like when all the elements come together -- great guitar, perfect setup, new strings, great pick, good microphone. To get on my high horse for a second, anyone who says Eastman doesn't make guitars that stand up to Martin, Taylor and Gibson, might wanna take a listen to this. I bought this guitar clean used for $850. Not a bad investment.

themissal, I've probably been playing "The Dutchman" for thirty years. I first heard it when I saw the late, great Steve Goodman in concert.

Enjoy, folks, and thanks for the kind words.

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 04-22-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
themissal, correct, no pickup at all on "The Dutchman," just straight into a Shure SM-58, the way it oughta be. Hate to break the news to you, folks, but there isn't an acoustic guitar pickup on the planet that will touch a decent $100 mic, any decent $100 mic, in this case a Shure SM-58. I own both a PUTW and a Trance Audio, and those are very very good, but not perfect.

This song is not about my performance, but to demonstrate what a great acoustic guitar sounds like when all the elements come together -- great guitar, perfect setup, new strings, great pick, good microphone. To get on my high horse for a second, anyone who says Eastman doesn't make guitars that stand up to Martin, Taylor and Gibson, might wanna take a listen to this. I bought this guitar clean used for $850. Not a bad investment.

themissal, I've probably been playing "The Dutchman" for thirty years. I first heard it when I saw the late, great Steve Goodman in concert.

Enjoy, folks, and thanks for the kind words.

scott memmer
That sounds great! Love the tune & your rendition!
Old 05-19-2018, 03:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Kid, Thanks so much. Glad you like it. After thirty years, it's starting to sound like the real deal.

One of my favorite songs of all time. Amazing more people don't know about Mike Smith. He really hit it out of the part with that tune.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. I'm humbled that this performance has touched so many.

be well,
scott
Old 05-20-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Kid, Thanks so much. Glad you like it. After thirty years, it's starting to sound like the real deal.

One of my favorite songs of all time. Amazing more people don't know about Mike Smith. He really hit it out of the part with that tune.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. I'm humbled that this performance has touched so many.

be well,

scott

Michael Smith is playing tonight at our club. He’s a wonderful performer to see live. He plays a Plain Jane D-35 in case you’re wondering. If I recall he sits and uses a mic. If you write songs like that, you get to sit and use a mic. :-)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Has anyone in this thread bought and installed a new Enke Designs pickup? Any differences? Improvements?

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification