The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Has anyone tried Dazzos in a Goodall?

I already have the sunnaudio Stage Di and love it with my Black Angel
and/or my Schertler AG-6. I have had poor
success with SBTs in the past (feedback), but the Dazzo clips I hear
sound marvelous. The Dazzo is purported to be much more resistant
to feedback. My main point of reference is K&K which was totally unusable for me..

My curiosity is peaked. Any thoughts on the Goodall/Dazzo combo?
Thanks.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:14 PM

I don't have a Goodall, but I have used K+K mini for years and now have a Dazzo installed in one guitar.

The K+K seems to be a little feedback-sensitive due to increased mid response, especially the lower mids. Many people have posted that they like to reduce the midrange a little, both to increase feedback resistance and to get a more balanced sound (myself included).

The Dazzo does NOT exhibit the increased midrange of the K+K, and therefore sounds better 'out of the box' with no EQ etc. At the same time, depending on room acoustics and monitor response, I have still experienced feedback with my Dazzo.

I think an SBT is always going to have more feedback than a UST due to the fact that an SBT is transducing the movement of the whole top.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-06-2018, 06:12 PM

My last guitar I sold was a 2011 Fort Bragg Goodall. It sounded great with Dazzo 60’s in a CJ cutaway. According to Teddy, he has had trouble with Goodalls in the past because there is so much resonance going on it was always hard to lock in a position. But he says the bridge plate has changed now than on the models of the past. Case in point, mine sounded great. If you Goodall has a good amount of deep bass, then try a lower number like a #60 or even a #50 or Elise you might be swimming in deep bass. Kind of depends on your style and taste.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-07-2018, 05:24 PM

I can only speak of my experience with numerous attempts by Teddy and 2 other experienced techs here with Goodall KGC and it was a major disappointment. To be fair, I've heard a recent K & K install in an expensive Goodall and that was just OK at best. Teddy maintains part of the failure was due to the bridgeplate. He maintained it was a rosewood plate but it was actually paduak. I've consulted others who don't agree with that opinion. However, I would encourage you to try. Teddy is more than fair with his return policy. I would still be able to have a successful Dazzo install in my instrument. Perhaps someone here can figure it out. For whatever reason, I've had better luck with soundhole mags, either a Fishman or Sunrise but of course, they have their own particular sound. Doug Young could probably weigh in here.
If you a satisfactory sound with a Black Angel and the Sunnaudio preamp I would leave well enough alone.

Last edited by throbert; 10-07-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all. One of my Goodalls is a 2012 Ft Bragg HRCJC; so there may be
hope for that one.

My other is a bigger body 2001 RS and is my main gigging guitar. I am guessing that the 60s or 50s would be better for bass control
in that one too. ????

throbert, what year is your KGC?
Teddy mentioned the bridge plate issue, and as you say has been very
accommodating. I guess it comes down to:
- if old bridge plate, it is a NO-GO. I wonder if we can identify a year
that the change was made.
- if it is a new bridge plate (Ft Bragg or later), it is probably worth a try,
and hope that feedback is not a big issue as Gordon mentioned.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:35 AM

My Goodall is a Koa Grand Concert, #886, 2/07/1996. That particular model has been phased out for a slightly different version in their current line. Bridgeplate on mine is paduak. I actually got a decent sound using a Sunrise and EQd with my old TC Dual Parametric. The Sunrise is still a viable option but it's rather large. Funny as I was thinking about trying a Black Angel for that guitar! Teddy maintained that a maple bridgeplate would be better. I recall seeing a Youtube of Vancebo playing his Goodall with Dazzos and I thought it sounded nice. Goodall recommends the K & K and it's OK. Sometimes you get lucky with the install on the first try. Doug Young can attest that sometimes it takes more than a few tries. Should easy to figure out your bridgeplate material and if it was made in either Hawaii or Ft. Bragg. Any good repairman can stick a mirror inside and look. Could also just take a picture with your phone and email Jean Goodall for complete information on your instrument.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, seems like I have some assignments. btw, I think the BA is a great
match for all the Goodalls. The Schertler AG-6 is good, also. I currently
have the BA in my RSC, and the AG-6 in my HRCJC, but have gigged more with the BA in the HRCJC.
...mostly a timing issue.

The sound I get now is wonderful....too bad I have OCD.

Goodall MdRSC/Adirondack yr2018 + Sunrise
Goodall RSC/Sitka yr2001 + Sunrise
Goodall HRGCC/Italian yr2004 + Sunrise
Martin D-10E Sitka/Sapele MX-T
Bose L1 mod2, Pro8, S1 Pro, QSC K8.2, CP8

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification