The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-04-2024, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Default The Last of the GE Reveal Lightbulbs

I am picky about the light in my house in general, and lightbulbs specifically. So 20-some years ago, I got upset with GWB when he signed the bill doing away with incandescant lightbulbs, as I really liked the GE Reveal bulbs. They put out a nice light.

I then started stockpiling the Reveals. On every trip to Ace or Menards I would grab a few 4-packs of the 60w, 75w, and 100w bulbs. And if they were on sale, I'd fill up my basket. I probably had 100 of the 4-packs.

Well, last night I turned on my bedside lamp, planning to read for awhile, and POP! The bulb gave it up, and it was the last of my 100 watters. Dangit! I still have some 60s and 75s, but no more 100s.

So today I must make the trip to Ace and see if I can decipher lumens, as opposed to watts. Not looking forward to it.

I guess I should have bought more 100w bulbs. I was hoping to get through this lifetime before my stash ran out.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:55 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I'm sure that you already know this (and probably don't care) but incandescent bulbs are insanely inefficient. Only about 2% of the energy is converted to visible light, the rest is outside the visible spectrum and produces heat.

I understand personal preference, but those old bulbs are about as wasteful as you can get.

That said, good luck finding more (and I mean that, sincerely)...
Old 03-04-2024, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

I felt the same way but have found that the current generation of non incandescent light bulbs are far superior to the early offerings. They are now capable of producing the same warm light that incandescent bulbs do….and they last longer and use less electricity. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I am picky about the light in my house in general, and lightbulbs specifically. So 20-some years ago, I got upset with GWB when he signed the bill doing away with incandescant lightbulbs, as I really liked the GE Reveal bulbs. They put out a nice light.

I then started stockpiling the Reveals. On every trip to Ace or Menards I would grab a few 4-packs of the 60w, 75w, and 100w bulbs. And if they were on sale, I'd fill up my basket. I probably had 100 of the 4-packs.

Well, last night I turned on my bedside lamp, planning to read for awhile, and POP! The bulb gave it up, and it was the last of my 100 watters. Dangit! I still have some 60s and 75s, but no more 100s.

So today I must make the trip to Ace and see if I can decipher lumens, as opposed to watts. Not looking forward to it.

I guess I should have bought more 100w bulbs. I was hoping to get through this lifetime before my stash ran out.
Many LED bulbs will a have a color spectrum graph on the package .
Also GE still puts out Reveal LED bulbs (how close they might be to the incandescent I do not know)
These are 60 watt equivalent I believe they also do 72's and 100's but are more expensive
https://www.amazon.com/GE-Equivalent...BoCBoYQAvD_BwE

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-04-2024, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, guys, your comments are encouraging!

But what is the old saying about dogs/tricks?

I'll report back when I return from Ace Hardware.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Good luck Ken...there must be 20 different varieties or Oreo cookies and M&M's so light bulbs can't be far behind?!?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-04-2024, 03:58 PM

FYI good old-fashioned incandescent bulbs can still be had over the counter, if you know where to look - pardon me if I don't reveal (no pun intended) my sources...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 03-04-2024 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Good luck Ken...there must be 20 different varieties or Oreo cookies and M&M's so light bulbs can't be far behind?!?
Point well taken, Jim, life has become entirely too complicated. The original Oreos were good enough for me! But now my doctor won't let me eat them.

I'm back from Ace. They do not carry any Reveals, or any other GE products. They have the Feit brand bulbs, so I only bought a 2-pack of 100 watt "equivalents." $16 for the two, but according to the box they should last me the rest of my life for $1.81/year. That's pretty amazing.

I'll see how I like the light when the sun goes down. Stay tuned!
Old 03-04-2024, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Point well taken, Jim, life has become entirely too complicated. The original Oreos were good enough for me! But now my doctor won't let me eat them.

I'm back from Ace. They do not carry any Reveals, or any other GE products. They have the Feit brand bulbs, so I only bought a 2-pack of 100 watt "equivalents." $16 for the two, but according to the box they should last me the rest of my life for $1.81/year. That's pretty amazing.

I'll see how I like the light when the sun goes down. Stay tuned!
Just remember that these aren't like the old bulbs that basically only had one "flavor" of light...these come in multiple flavors/shades, and you have to find the right one for your room and your taste...I prefer the warmer shades...
Old 03-05-2024, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
Just remember that these aren't like the old bulbs that basically only had one "flavor" of light...these come in multiple flavors/shades, and you have to find the right one for your room and your taste...I prefer the warmer shades...
You are right about that. I went with the "soft white" version.

I read for awhile last night under my new light, and it was just fine. My wife's lamp has one of the old 100w Reveals in it, and I couldn't tell the difference from across the room.

So cancel the crisis, looks like I'll be getting along just fine!
Old 03-05-2024, 06:32 AM

Quote:
according to the box they should last me the rest of my life. That's pretty amazing.
They won't...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-05-2024, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I say eat some anyway Ken!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-05-2024, 08:03 AM

Some of the new bulbs make slight hum that I can hear, but my wife can't. Does anyone else hear it?
~Bob
Old 03-05-2024, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungBeatle View Post
Some of the new bulbs make slight hum that I can hear, but my wife can't. Does anyone else hear it?
~Bob
If you are talking about LED's ? Actually I replaced two. fluorescent 4 ft fixtures with the retrofit LED bulbs where you retrofit the same fixture, take out the fluorescent bulbs and ballast (which always hummed) and replace it with LED's and . One of them hums slightly (not as much as the fluorescent did but still noticeable ) the other is silent go figure ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-05-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
They won't...
Indeed they don't. I've come to conclude that it isn't necessarily worth it to pay premium for a brand name or fancy promises because some of the more expensive bulbs I've been buying didn't last longer than an average incandescent bulb (though possibly a lot longer in terms of hours because you do tend to keep them on longer).

Finding the right colour temperature can be a real PITA though: the optimum should be somewhere between 3200 and 3500K (close to halogen temperature) but those are unobtainium or else don't actually give that light. 3000 and below is too yellow unless you find really powerful ones that are also difficult to find here in smaller form factor.

BTW: 100w for a bedside lamp seems mighty much unless you want it to keep you wide awake... and I'd find the light much too strong for reading if falling directly on the page...

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic