The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-26-2024, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Baseball:Like hitting a bullet with another bullet...

In a past thread on sports I had made a dumb comment about football players being able to demonstrate the highest level of talent and skill in team sports.
Soon thereafter, AGF member Ray Sachs had "politely" pointed out that I should seriously re-think that statement, given what is involved in hitting a baseball.
Of course, he was right. Reading this article reminded me of that discussion.
This is for you Ray:
Hitting a baseball is the hardest skill to pull off.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-26-2024, 08:33 AM

Growing up in Brooklyn we played stickball...

For those who didn't live in the NYC area, it was a street game played with a small pink rubber ball (Spalding was the brand of choice), and a broom handle cut down to a manageable length...

After that, hitting a baseball with a regulation-size bat wasn't a problem...
Old 02-26-2024, 09:25 AM

I feel in terms of sport, nothing compares to ice hockey when it comes down to the amount of individual skills required to excel...

But hitting a baseball...man...think about it...is there anything else in life you can succeed 3 times out of 10 and be considered great at what you do?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-26-2024, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I feel in terms of sport, nothing compares to ice hockey when it comes down to the amount of individual skills required to excel...

But hitting a baseball...man...think about it...is there anything else in life you can succeed 3 times out of 10 and be considered great at what you do?
Weather forecasting?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-26-2024, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Growing up in Brooklyn we played stickball...

For those who didn't live in the NYC area, it was a street game played with a small pink rubber ball (Spalding was the brand of choice), and a broom handle cut down to a manageable length...

After that, hitting a baseball with a regulation-size bat wasn't a problem...
Yes but, I was referring more to being able to hit one 60 feet away from Sandy Koufax or Bob Gibson....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post

Good point! That almost makes the case for it, without the use of physics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Weather forecasting?

Actually, weather forecasting has made great strides in the last 10 years or so with better technology. Not only in predicting whether it will snow or not, but when, where, and how much.
Still imperfect, but getting better. When in doubt though, go with the European model when worrying about a storm track.

- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

Old 02-26-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
Actually, weather forecasting has made great strides in the last 10 years or so with better technology. Not only in predicting whether it will snow or not, but when, where, and how much.
Still imperfect, but getting better. When in doubt though, go with the European model when worrying about a storm track.
I've always been impressed with how accurate the weather forecast is. But then again, I always pay attention to details like "percent chance" and "location." I think most people ignore that and just assume that if the word "rain" is merely uttered, it means 100% across the entire viewing area.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Weather forecasting?
Lol, not in Chicago, the land of Tom freaking Skilling! (Probably the most trusted weatherman on the planet)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-26-2024, 03:25 PM

A fastball 95 or above the baseball seems smaller than a marble! Add to the fact some have major movement on it its not just straight point a to b
Old 02-26-2024, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Not entirely on topic, but... There were 100's of bullets fused nose to nose on the battlefields of Gettysburg after the Civil war. Most of the projectiles used in that conflict were 50 caliber or greater and made of relatively soft lead.

Must have been hell on earth for the participants with fields of fire that dense.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
A fastball 95 or above the baseball seems smaller than a marble! Add to the fact some have major movement on it its not just straight point a to b
Mix a few off speed pitches in there and, if a pitcher is on his game, it's not a fair fight.
Conversely, when a knuckleballer is on his game, and ball speed no longer figures in, it's so entertaining to watch great hitters wiffing. Brings back memories of the late Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield whoc could really befuddle them. Whenever he started losing it though, look out....
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrow View Post
Not entirely on topic, but... There were 100's of bullets fused nose to nose on the battlefields of Gettysburg after the Civil war. Most of the projectiles used in that conflict were 50 caliber or greater and made of relatively soft lead.

Must have been hell on earth for the participants with fields of fire that dense.
I wish these two were still around to tell us about it. They were there, firing that lead at each other.
Gettysburg. It's on my bucket list to go there someday.

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

Old 02-26-2024, 05:32 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Baseball is an insane game.

First you have a pitcher throwing a ball at you from only 90 feet away traveling at close to 100 mph.

Then you have the ground ball to 3rd base that can break a leg. Gotta be going over 100 mph.

Then you have the line drive right back at the pitcher.

Tipped balls going into the catcher's face, midfield collisions, spike up slides.

Crazy stuff. They earn their money.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-26-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
Conversely, when a knuckleballer is on his game, and ball speed no longer figures in, it's so entertaining to watch great hitters wiffing. Brings back memories of the late Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield whoc could really befuddle them. Whenever he started losing it though, look out....

[/IMG]
In 1945 the Washington Senators had a starting rotation of four knuckleballers.

And they won 87 games & finished 2nd in the American League.

Must have been fun to watch!
Old 02-26-2024, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Yes, baseball is a super skill sport, for sure.

- Glenn
Old 02-26-2024, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

60 feet 6 inches from the mound to home. With a long stride it's probably closer to 55 feet. At 95 mph the ball gets there in .425 seconds. And then there's the problem of hitting it squarely enough. Yikes!!
Old 02-26-2024, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
In 1945 the Washington Senators had a starting rotation of four knuckleballers.

And they won 87 games & finished 2nd in the American League.

Must have been fun to watch!
Indeed. But nerve wracking too I bet. When it starts to hang up there a little too steady, it doesn't take much for a good major league hitter to pounce. It gets ugly quickly. But when they're on, it's like voodoo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Baseball is an insane game.

First you have a pitcher throwing a ball at you from only 90 feet away traveling at close to 100 mph.

Then you have the ground ball to 3rd base that can break a leg. Gotta be going over 100 mph.

Then you have the line drive right back at the pitcher.

Tipped balls going into the catcher's face, midfield collisions, spike up slides.

Crazy stuff. They earn their money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes, baseball is a super skill sport, for sure.

- Glenn
And complex.
I recall a good friend and former work colleague from Germany. Loved all American sports, except baseball. Hated it. When he told me it was because he just didn't understand enough about the game, I did my best to explain to him what was going on that wasn't so obvious from just watching it. He started to "get" baseball, and finally became a convert. Especially when I took him to a game once at Fenway Park. Now THAT for him was a game changer. He really soaked in the atmosphere. He told me how much better he understood not only baseball, but America, after going to that game. And thanked me for that. I was touched.
Fenway Park really is special, as is Wrigley and all the other "old" parks that are still around. Not that many left.

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic