The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-04-2024, 10:58 AM

I guess if you are okay hiding your guitar purchases from your spouse, you must be okay with your spouse hiding his/her purchases of the same value from you. Dishonesty never works in the long run and can bring deep regret.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I don't hide instruments from my lovely wife. Never have. In fact, she has had a hand in acquiring most of the good instruments I own.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-04-2024, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

OP, maybe ask yourself - what would be the fallout if the new guitar was discovered and correctly recognized as intentionally hidden?

22 years ago, I told a new gal I was dating about a past relationship I had left because an otherwise lovely GF was chronically jealous of any time I spent with fellow musicians (weekly 2-3 hour practice and 6-7 one-night bar gigs a year).

New gal's response? "Well, that doesn't make any sense, you need to be in a band!" Of course that's not the only reason I married her, but it sure doesn't hurt to be with someone who actually gets me.

As far as 'GAS' goes, I can only juggle 3-5 acoustics at a time. Wall-hangers in various rooms where I can grab them at will, any time the mood strikes several times a day (I store their empty coffins in a closet). When I buy another guitar that I like even better, I'll probably sell one on CL or give it to one of my 3 adult kids, all learning to play.

Pushing toward 70 next year, grace, balance and a clear conscience are crucially important to me.

Edit - - - - - - - - -

To me, the question is more "Why do you hide guitars from your partner?"

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-16-2024 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:50 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

The wife and I have separate residences. Problem solved!

But seriously, if you can't be above-board in dealings with your significant other then there are deeper issues at play that should be addressed. If you can afford another guitar then there shouldn't be an issue in discussing it with your partner. If you can't afford it (or shouldn't, due to other priorities) then you should control the urge to splurge.

Deception almost always results in a negative outcome eventually.
Old 02-04-2024, 12:17 PM

Easy, I don't.

But when I buy something for her that I don't want her to find, it goes in the basement bathroom. She's scared of the basement.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-04-2024, 12:26 PM

I can’t take these types of questions seriously but it doesn’t hurt to have your own income and a reason why you need another guitar- just getting a regular gig as a side hustle to justify it. Learning her favorite song - or better yet writing one in her honor wouldn’t hurt either.
Old 02-04-2024, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Mine doesn't pay much attention to what I buy unless I run up to her office with it, interrupt whatever it is she's doing and try to do a show and tell. She doesn't care if I buy them, she just doesn't want to talk about it all the time.

But the other side of it, I really don't care what she buys either and most generally I'm not interested in talking about whatever it is she bought. I mean, why do people feel like they have to run in and show each other everything they buy? I think that is the problem actually. Don't insist on sharing stuff your partner doesn't care about and doesn't want to talk about.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-04-2024, 12:46 PM

Some people here being too judgemental for their own good?

The OP didn't ask why or why not to do what he asked and it's none of our business either.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-04-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I don't hide instruments from my lovely wife. Never have. In fact, she has had a hand in acquiring most of the good instruments I own...
Ditto, and in our case it's a two-way street - she's also been the recipient of a new instrument on several special (and not-so-special) occasions...
Old 02-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Only buy instruments of the same color.
Old 02-04-2024, 01:49 PM

My wife's never had an issue with me buying guitars, usually I'll tell her when I order it, but sometimes I tell her when it will be delivered so we will be home. So, no need to hide any of them!
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 02-04-2024, 01:55 PM

Hey just to be clear I'm not considering sneaking a guitar into my house via my workplace or any other method of subterfuge I see these comments every now and again and it makes me wonder.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 02-04-2024, 02:16 PM

I can't imagine hiding anything from my husband including the purchase of an instrument. We are in this life together and we make monetary and all other decisions together. That being said, my husband usually says, "Go buy whichever guitar you want." As a result I have a nice collection.
Barb
Old 02-04-2024, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Easy. I have a partner that has her own life family house and appreciation for music

I also own it when she gives me grief about running out of space in my house for cases.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:48 PM

I've never hidden anything (or felt the need to) from my wife in our 30 years of marriage. I think if somebody feels the need to hide a guitar purchase, then there's a much bigger problem than guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic