The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-05-2021, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Wow - the pandemic's effect on the guitar industry

This article is a few months old but really interesting.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-06-2021, 12:53 AM

Horses are still popular, despite being mostly relegated to 'recreational vehicle' status and everyone should have already known that the when people state that the sky is falling, the most accurate information they're conveying to others is that they've got a drama queen mindset and that misery loves company.

Same people that said lead guitar was dead, along with Hendrix.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-06-2021, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I have noticed that there are a fair number of Eastman guitars on the market.

I am starting to see the prices of used guitars getting lower. Even here on AGF.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-06-2021, 09:51 AM

Sales exploded in almost any hobby area I guess...
Old 02-06-2021, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure I'm not much different than a lot of folks here in that I spend a little time on various guitar forums & dealer sites. I have seen way more super high end custom shop Fender & Gibson stuff in the last 8 months or so than ever. In particular I enjoy browsing inventory at Dave's Guitar Shop (no affiliation) simply due to the great photography. Their high end inventory seems extraordinary and they seem to sell w/o too much trouble.

As for myself, I'm not a player in the high end market but if that segment is doing as well as I think it is then I guess the mid to lower end must be doing ok as well. Just my two cents as an observer. Others no doubt have more insight & experience.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
I'm sure I'm not much different than a lot of folks here in that I spend a little time on various guitar forums & dealer sites. I have seen way more super high end custom shop Fender & Gibson stuff in the last 8 months or so than ever. In particular I enjoy browsing inventory at Dave's Guitar Shop (no affiliation) simply due to the great photography. Their high end inventory seems extraordinary and they seem to sell w/o too much trouble.

As for myself, I'm not a player in the high end market but if that segment is doing as well as I think it is then I guess the mid to lower end must be doing ok as well. Just my two cents as an observer. Others no doubt have more insight & experience.
Because they're one of the few guitar shops to price used guitars fairly.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

For some reason, I find these threads very interesting.
Trends are fun to watch.

The segments of the market/smaller builders that I do follow (again, pre-covid) were either raising prices and/or reducing discounts considerably over the last 2 years on new guitars. The few people that I personally know in the manufacturing side of new guitars in the $3k-$7k market stated sales were stable. Some focused on upgrading their lines, others added less expensive models.

I was pleasantly surprised to read that the guitar biz was prospering during the shutdown in spite of the situation where their shops were closed or significantly reduced hours. Mail order sales were good for dealers as folks looked for things to do while staying home for extended periods---I get it. The meat and potato models probably sold very well.

Several things have surprised me over the last year:

*the price of nicer used guitars has skyrocketed. Personally, I will just wait until prices adjust. It is just not wise to pay the current asking prices I see individuals and dealers asking. In many cases, the asking prices have increased 50%+ in the last year. I'm talking nice, but still production models.

*And used asking prices are close to new prices (supply/demand?).

*other recreation like RV sales exploded during the pandemic...on our travels around the country over the last year, the RV/boat/bicycle population has greatly increased, along with sale prices of those items. I was shocked out on the highways and waterways---more folks than I have ever seen.

I still predict a downward adjustment in used RV's, and guitar prices shortly. Not sure how that will affect new guitar sales if there were a glut on the used market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
This article is a few months old but really interesting.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
I haven't seen any data either way but I would think there might not be a direct correlation between the health of the high end and low end market. The market for the two is likely very different. My guess is the high end market is older people who have reached a point in life where they now have much more disposable income available to spend on their hobby. The low end of the market is more likely to be new folks looking to learn the guitar. I certainly hope tons of new people are learning to play, but not sure one is indicative of the other.
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 02-06-2021, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Those of us who are not actually in the business of buying and selling guitars but nevertheless find ourselves doing it quite frequently don't tend to believe in trends as much as timing. Our sales are too infrequent to really determine trends.

Case in point, I sold a Fender Player model Telecaster today off of Craigslist. The buyer drove several hours to pick it up. He said his old electric had been stolen, and he'd been looking for the exact model/color that I was selling at the price I was asking for close to a year. I had posted my ad within an hour of him seeing the ad. By contrast, I'd been advertising a Mexican-made Fender Strat for months in various places and the only interest shown was in the form of ridiculously low offers. Trends? Give me timing and luck any day....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-07-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

I was recently in touch with Kevin Kopp. He said this past year has been crazy and he’s taking orders like never before. But that’s an anecdote not a trend...
Old 02-07-2021, 12:14 PM

These dealers are claiming scarcity of supply for why they are keep their prices high, but I'm seeing plenty of inventory for the model I'm requesting quotes for. I think they are trying to keep the prices up while they can. I don't blame them if they can. I would do the same thing. It's nowhere near the situation with the 22 ammo I was trying to a buy a few years ago when there was none to be had and prices went up. There was zero inventory. But there is inventory and online stores have multiples serial numbers of the model I'm looking for.

I also keep getting this I'll match your best price. Well why do I want a match as I have that pricing already. I want you to beat the best price I got. Looks like I'm stuck at 16% off of MAP. I'm looking for the unicorn pricing of 25% off of MAP.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion