The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-28-2009, 12:12 PM

Default Andy McKee: Amazing Guitarist: His Style of Playing

So I might be a bit late on hearing about this guy, but has anyone heard of/seen Andy McKee? A friend showed me his Drifting video last night and it kind of blew my mind. I wonder how long it takes to get to that point. I'm pretty sure I still have a long way to go. If you haven't seen him play, give this a look:

YouTube - andymckee's Channel

Does anyone else on here know much about this style of playing? How much time and discipline would this take?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Get off my lawn kid

He's good. If you like him, you'll like Don Ross too (they've done shows together). You can get tabs of his stuff here CandyRat

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-28-2009, 02:13 PM

I get tired of hearing about this guy along with Tommy Emmanuel. Both are top-notch amazing guitarists. I'm just sick of hearing about them. There are scads of others we should be listening to as well. There is something catchy about their style, and intriguing. To me, especially with McKee, his stuff all sounds sort of bubbly and sappy with the same percussion features in nearly every song.

Every time a person taps the guitar, that's a note he isn't playing. That's kind of how I see it. I'm not really into that whole percussion and harmonic poppin crud. It's the same as giving a drummer a couple of guitar strings to "pop on" while he's playing drums. I bet everyone would be drooling over that too.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSPRIG View Post

Every time a person taps the guitar, that's a note he isn't playing. That's kind of how I see it. I'm not really into that whole percussion and harmonic poppin crud. It's the same as giving a drummer a couple of guitar strings to "pop on" while he's playing drums. I bet everyone would be drooling over that too.
You dont seem bitter at all
Old 09-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy Andy, but I would say among his peers, he's probably my least favorite. His writing isnt as deep as Dufour's and it isnt as groovy as Don's. He's kinda in the middle somewhere, which is nice, but I'm looking forward to him coming into his own one day. I'm sure he will. Ebon Coast is my favorite of his. Really nice composition.

I think Thomas Leeb incorporates percussion more effectively than just about any guitarist I've ever come across. Check him out and see what you think. Try "Desert Pirate" on for size.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:28 PM

In the two handed tapping world, my favorite guy is Carlos Vamos of Amsterdam. Very tasty. You can actually listen with your eyes closed and enjoy it. It seems many of the other 2 handed tapping guys loose their draw if you shut your eyes.

Here are a couple examples of Carlos' work. The first one is on electric guitar, the 2nd (Little Wing) is on acoustic and is simply amazing. Enjoy....

Vamosia

Little Wing
Old 09-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I enjoy Andy, but I would say among his peers, he's probably my least favorite. His writing isnt as deep as Dufour's and it isnt as groovy as Don's. He's kinda in the middle somewhere, which is nice, but I'm looking forward to him coming into his own one day. I'm sure he will. Ebon Coast is my favorite of his. Really nice composition.

I think Thomas Leeb incorporates percussion more effectively than just about any guitarist I've ever come across. Check him out and see what you think. Try "Desert Pirate" on for size.
This whole time I thought I was the only one! There are others like me in the world. However, who am I to judge? Any of those guys can play circles around me.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guit Hacker View Post
This whole time I thought I was the only one! There are others like me in the world. However, who am I to judge? Any of those guys can play circles around me.
hahah I feel the same way. I actually went to a little private Q&A meeting with Andy a while back before his Memphis concert. The first thing that captured me is how CLEAN his playing is in a personal setting. That was a *truly* humbling, yet invigorating experience. He's an awesome guy, too. I felt like we all coulda just sat around chatting for hours.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:56 PM

His style reminds me of what they once said in "Doonesbury" about George Winston, Will Ackerman and that whole Windham Hill crowd ... "Air Pudding".

I find McKee boring; I like to hear a discernible melody, and not a single clip of his that I've ever watched has had it!

Don Smith
Raleigh, NC
Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind gibsona View Post
His style reminds me of what they once said in "Doonesbury" about George Winston, Will Ackerman and that whole Windham Hill crowd ... "Air Pudding".

I find McKee boring; I like to hear a discernible melody, and not a single clip of his that I've ever watched has had it!

Don Smith
Raleigh, NC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Igb5Yors4
Old 09-29-2009, 03:55 PM

I'm going to join the bandwagon and side with another progressive fingerstyle player.

ALL HAIL ERIK MONGRAIN!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 05:28 PM

here's the video of Thomas Leeb playing Desert Pirate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqSDFa8a7xQ

then follow the links to a few other tunes
that's me on guitar
Old 09-29-2009, 06:12 PM

Wow I love Leeb's Version of No Woman No Cry. I'd like to get a TAB of that minus most of that tapping.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
Wow I love Leeb's Version of No Woman No Cry. I'd like to get a TAB of that minus most of that tapping.
He sells it. Good luck understanding it!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSPRIG View Post
It's the same as giving a drummer a couple of guitar strings to "pop on" while he's playing drums. I bet everyone would be drooling over that too.
Ha.

Anyways, check out Michael Hedges and Don Ross for sure, they are McKee's two biggest influences. Hedges was arguably the "godfather" of this particular style of new age/percussive fingerstyle guitar.

Antoine Dufour is my personal favourite of the bunch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell