The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

View Poll Results: Are these strings worth the dough? (About twice your average set)
Yes 14 70.00%
No way 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2008, 02:04 PM

Default Thomastik-Infeld strings - opinions? ** New test tune up **

I've posted a second test tune with these strings, here. This song covers a much wider tonal range and has some aggressive right-hand work, so it's an interesting comparison to the first tune.

I won't bias listeners but I do have my opinion on how the strings do on this one...

E

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 05-26-2008, 04:23 PM

Ed, they sound like Martin's...
Seriously, though, to my ear they do have a distinct tonal separation, but they have no particular characteristic to hang my hat on, sweetness, for one...
I would say, for jazzy or bluesy kind of stuff they would sound probably good.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpicker View Post
I've posted a second test tune with these strings, here. This song covers a much wider tonal range and has some aggressive right-hand work, so it's an interesting comparison to the first tune.

I won't bias listeners but I do have my opinion on how the strings do on this one...

E
I don't know if it is the strings, the guitar or the combination, but I like the sound of your guitar; lows are clear without boominess and the mids and highs are articulate without harshness! If it's the strings, then they are worth every penny.

Edward, I have to say, again, your playing is outstanding, I really enjoyed listening to this composition - it has a slight Celtic feels about it, especially in the quicker movements! Very well done!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 05-26-2008, 07:03 PM

Thanks, guys! I will now confess that the strings are growing on me...

Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 05-27-2008, 04:51 AM

Hi Zenpicker - really like your 'Wind on the Lough" - superb & inspiring stuff!

I must do some serious work on my fingerpicking!

Have been digging the Thomastik's on my D-28 a lot, so I just took off the new D'Addario's my new (to me) Smeck came with (very bright, LOTS of finger noise) after maybe 4-5 hours of playing, & replaced them with a set of the same Thomastik-Infeld Spectrums that I have on my D-28.

Very impressed again, they immediately tamed the finger noise, added nicely to the mids & overall 'depth' & brought out a fullness in the tone, while still having enough top-end shimmer. Very '3D".

Time to order some more!

Last edited by cybercat; 05-27-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 AM

Yep, I agree - I will be ordering some more as well so I can try them on a different guitar. I suspect that for faster Celtic-type stuff I may stick with the Pearses because I think those do better with some of the ornamentation particular to that style, but the T-I strings are better for quieter tunes. Or so I currently feel... They are certainly better on the string-squeak end, you are right.

Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple

- John Cage

Old 05-27-2008, 07:21 PM

Hi Edward!

I think the recordings sound great. I'm perplexed about the comments about string squeaks, as the string squeaks stood at at me on the recordings. Not distractingly so, but they were definitely present.

Bryan
Old 05-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Tryin' to figure it out

Hwy guys. Late to the game...

I've used the Spectrum PBs a few times, and I like the tone. It's the cost I don't like, as they don't last much longer than other uncoated strings.

I do like the low end though. Solid and consistent. Also, the highs are not shrill (at least not for my guitars).

Edward - Agreed with the others. Excellent sounding recording!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
Hi Edward!

I think the recordings sound great. I'm perplexed about the comments about string squeaks, as the string squeaks stood at at me on the recordings. Not distractingly so, but they were definitely present.

Bryan
Hey Bryan, long time no see...hope things are well. An LA trip may be materializing so perhaps we can get together and play again.

On the squeaks - yes, they are definitely there, but there is a part in that slow opening to Wind on the Lough where they were REALLY a problem with other strings, so to my ear there's a definite difference. Celtic-style pulloffs on the fourth string from the fifth fret down is a string-squeak nightmare, and these strings do OK with it. Personally I don't mind squeaks as long as they're not so severe as to wreck the music...but I guess that's a pretty subjective measure. The T-I strings squeak more than Elixirs, but I find their tone so much warmer and fuller than Elixirs.

Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple

- John Cage

Old 05-27-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billv View Post
Hwy guys. Late to the game...

I've used the Spectrum PBs a few times, and I like the tone. It's the cost I don't like, as they don't last much longer than other uncoated strings.

I do like the low end though. Solid and consistent. Also, the highs are not shrill (at least not for my guitars).

Edward - Agreed with the others. Excellent sounding recording!
Well, and another old pal checks in. Hey Bill!

Since you play a Lowden too (and a bigger one than mine), I wonder if you have a view on whether it's easier to record with these strings because they neutralize potential Lowden bass boominess. I found that to be true - did you?

Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple

- John Cage

Old 05-28-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Hey Bryan, long time no see...hope things are well. An LA trip may be materializing so perhaps we can get together and play again.
Definitely drop me an e-mail if you are coming this way.

Quote:
On the squeaks - yes, they are definitely there, but there is a part in that slow opening to Wind on the Lough where they were REALLY a problem with other strings, so to my ear there's a definite difference. Celtic-style pulloffs on the fourth string from the fifth fret down is a string-squeak nightmare, and these strings do OK with it. Personally I don't mind squeaks as long as they're not so severe as to wreck the music...but I guess that's a pretty subjective measure. The T-I strings squeak more than Elixirs, but I find their tone so much warmer and fuller than Elixirs.
I understand what you are saying. I'm pretty sensitive to squeaks, probably because my dad is. It is funny, he isn't a musician, but squeaks on a guitar drive him nuts. He used to say, "Chet Atkins doesn't squeak." Now I try to minimize squeaks via technique and the Elixirs really help out for recording. I prefer the tone of John Pearse strings, but they squeak a lot. I'll give the TI strings a try. I've used different varieties of their strings on electric guitar and bass over the years, so I know they make great strings.

What is your recording setup these days? I'm probably dumping my Pro Tools LE setup, as Digidesign still doesn't support the 'new' Mac OS (the OS has been out for six months!). I'm planning to get a portable recorder, probably the Korg MR-1000 and a few mics. I'm thinking about a Beyerdynamic MC930 and an AKG 414, but we'll see what the budget allows for. I'm itching to do another solo CD and want to have something portable and simple to use.

Bryan
Old 05-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
What is your recording setup these days?
Basically it's this:

Oktava MC012 spaced pair -> ADesigns MP2 tube pre -> RNC compressor
ADK A51TC tube condenser mike -> mAudio DMP3 pre -> RNC

All mikes then go through a Yamaha i88x A-to-D firewire interface and then into Adobe Audition 3.0.

I've been looking at mike upgrades (getting severely tempted to make the leap into Schoeps or Gefells and recently tested a pair of Chameleons), but I'm actually pretty OK with the sound quality of these last recordings, so maybe it can wait. I DO have a new guitar coming that will have to be paid for... )

Good luck with your reconfiguration,

e

Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple

- John Cage

Old 05-28-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I've been looking at mike upgrades (getting severely tempted to make the leap into Schoeps or Gefells and recently tested a pair of Chameleons), but I'm actually pretty OK with the sound quality of these last recordings, so maybe it can wait. I DO have a new guitar coming that will have to be paid for... )
I think your recordings sound great. They are a bit bass heavy on the left side, but everything sounds clear and in phase to my ears.

I looked at the Schoeps, Gefells, DPAs, some Neumann KM84s, considered getting a stereo Royer, thought about repurchasing some Josephsons, pondered the studio standards (Shure SM81, AKG451, etc.), researched the ADK mics (like Dream Guitars uses), various Beyerdynamics, Audio Technicas, the new Sennheiser 8000 series, and ultimately threw up my hands out of total confusion.

I probably spent a week's worth of evenings trying to figure out what the best mics would be and I still have no idea!

When is that new guitar supposed to show up?

Bryan
Old 05-28-2008, 02:32 PM

I dig the spectrum bronze set...they sounded great on my Larrivee...but I'm not too keen on the price either.

Does anyone know where to order these in bulk for decent discount?

Blue

Larrivee OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
Silvercreek T-170
Composite Acoustics Cargo RAW
Old 05-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Tryin' to figure it out

Quote:
Well, and another old pal checks in. Hey Bill!

Since you play a Lowden too (and a bigger one than mine), I wonder if you have a view on whether it's easier to record with these strings because they neutralize potential Lowden bass boominess. I found that to be true - did you?
Yeah, been busy. Gotta new job, lot's of extra time to adjust. But good...

Hmmm. Bass boominess. I am guessing my O responds a little differently because of the spruce top. You've got cedar, and I am thinking that it's already pretty mellow, no? In addition, I note you use 80/20s. They make my Lowden sound shrill in the extreme. I gotta stick with PBs to tame the highs. In addition, I use .014 - .059 gauges (it's a custom variation of heavies) tuned down to CGDGAD, so my response is going to be pretty different than yours.

Oh yeah, bass boominess. As I mentioned, I feel that the Spectrums PBs have a pretty strong low end, so I might expect them to tend towards boominess, depending upon the guitar. They don't boom on my Lowden, even with the strong lows.

I dunno, I keep coming back to Elixir PBs. There's something about them that speak to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell