The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-10-2004, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah
That may be true...
but are there people that can jam their fingers deep into their arm-pits and not feel pain?

I'm just curious...
The thoracic nerve becomes inflamed, so if you hit it then you will fell it. If you are sure you are there, just move the hand/fingers in a rotation and you will find it--if that is the problem.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 12-10-2004, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidenote
The diagnosis can be made by nerve conduction studies which are usually performed by a neurologist.
Yea, I went to a neurologist when I had my herniated disc and he was considered one of the best in town. He said: "You have long thoracic nerve palsy." Two years latter I diagnosed myself, and went in and told an Orthopedic what was wrong. He was pissed that I would even suggest that I knew what my problem was, but I did extensive research. He finally said "I'll have them give you an MRI, but I will bet you do not have herniations." I said: "Let's bet pay check." He was a coward and said: "Oh no, how about a cup of coffee?" Well, the results came back and the herniations were exactly where I said they were. I looked into Chinese medicine and cured them myself. Chinese medicine is great because they have very few doctors and so must rely on good old physical therapy, exercises, diet, and herbs. Get your diagnosis (I would suggest at least two diagnosis), then do some research into the Chinese method of healing such.

If you suspect a herniated disc, then insist on an MRI.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco

DIY Home
Old 12-10-2004, 01:40 PM

I had carpal tunnel for a few months. (Oddly, it was caused by a medication I was taking; one of the side effects was peripheral edema, and the swelling in my wrists and hands impinged on the nerve.) Anyway, my point is I went out and bought a couple of splints - one for each wrist - and wore them at night while sleeping and during the day when necessary. They helped a lot. A lot of people bend their wrists at an odd angle while sleeping, and the splints prevent that.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

-- Herbert Spencer
Old 12-10-2004, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersmith
I had carpal tunnel for a few months. (Oddly, it was caused by a medication I was taking; one of the side effects was peripheral edema, and the swelling in my wrists and hands impinged on the nerve.) Anyway, my point is I went out and bought a couple of splints - one for each wrist - and wore them at night while sleeping and during the day when necessary. They helped a lot. A lot of people bend their wrists at an odd angle while sleeping, and the splints prevent that.
I thought I was the only person who wore those things at night. My only complaint is that during spontaneous heated moments of passion they tend to be a bit cumbersome!

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco

DIY Home
Old 12-11-2004, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoder
I thought I was the only person who wore those things at night. My only complaint is that during spontaneous heated moments of passion they tend to be a bit cumbersome!
Yeah and when your WITH someone to they can be cumbersome too!

...sorry couldn't resisit...

2002 Taylor 810e
1996 Flatiron Festival F
1906 Friedman Bros. fiddle
Yamaha AW16G
Old 12-11-2004, 08:42 AM

You beat me to it, Jim!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

-- Herbert Spencer
Old 12-12-2004, 07:27 PM

I had the tingling and numbness in my left arm going down from my shoulder along my elbow and side of my forearm into my ring and pinky--but the elbow was painful and throbbing, not numb. My orthopod suspected cervical radiculopathy (pinched radial nerve in my neck), noticed worn facet joints on the x-ray, and rather than ordering an MRI, sent me for physical therapy that included neck traction. It worked so well that he ordered me a home cervical traction device. (The PT and the machine were cheaper than the MRI would have been). The couple of times the problem recurred in the past couple of years, using the neck traction machine stopped it dead in its tracks.

But the tingling fingers could also be nerve compression in the arm itself from its position on the guitar. When I first switched my main guitar from the thinner M-36 and 422 to a 614ce (dreadnought depth), I had that exact problem. In my case, it just took time getting used to. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_n_virginia
Yeah and when your WITH someone to they can be cumbersome too!

...sorry couldn't resisit...
My statement meant to imply both (while alone or with another!)

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco

DIY Home
Old 12-13-2004, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersmith
You beat me to it, Jim!
Is that a pun?

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco

DIY Home

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell