The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
The beatles also recorded in an untreated space.
Please do cite.

Quote:
Do you think everyones on a professional recording career path, joseph. Because I'd bet the op isn't.
You clearly don't "get it". You're too immersed in your drum beat. It doesn't matter if you're recording in a bathtub with a Radio Shack cassette recorder or on an iPhone in the desert. There is a bevy of great advice here that is singularly offered for the sake of nothing more than learning. One can choose to learn from it or simply dismiss it. In the end, and as I've mentioned, much of this advice has emerged from years of experience. It's as viable to the OP as anyone else who may choose to acknowledge, and simply learn.

You can offer all of the "Dark Side of the Moon" was recorded by stretching bulk tape between two pencils; therefore, "you people" are living in an echo chamber with your gravy-filled lives. Again as has been mentioned, that is an unfair and painful stretch of assumptions. The shortest distance between these two points is a horribly crooked line.

Quote:
A recording studio probably has an acoustic engineer to design the space as well but that doesn't mean it's a necessity for me...or the op.
To my knowledge, not a single person here has proffered anything that describes something as an absolute necessity. Just a bunch of stuff people have learned from experience and offered as help. But if there was perhaps an Acoustic Engineer here, you better bet if he or she had a contribution, I'd listen rather than reject it as a position from a person who perhaps has more money than me.

As I suggested, don't take the advice as it appears it doesn't fit your agenda. That's totally cool, and I don't think anyone would object. You mentioned a Zoom with on-board mics. That sounds like a fabulous idea. Why would you not just do that and skip all the consternation you incur from getting advice you don't like?
Old 10-13-2023, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah View Post
Hey, so I have an Audio Technica AT 2020 and I am looking for something new, better for recordting.

Looked at the rode NT1 5th generation, but don t know if I will feel the difference in quality.

Just looking for a mic a tad better for recording voice and acoustic guitar.
Maybe even a handheld mic, or multitrack, or just a better quality condenser.

Any recommendations???
Quote:
I'm always going back and reading the op's request.
I believe most of the AGFer's are truly trying to help OP. All of us started out with lesser gear and poor room acoustics. We have all been through that. Honestly, they are trying to save the OP some future frustrations.

So while many of the suggestions are not exactly what the OP asked for...it is with the intention of letting him know how to achieve "better for recordings"

It is all meant with good intent.

Kurth, you have no idea how hard I fought the Idea that I would have to spend more money on recording gear than what my guitar cost. In the end...it all depends on how far you want to go in your music recordings. How important it is to you to capture the sound. For some of us, it is only relatively important. For other is is paramount. There is no right or wrong. It is only what is right for each individual.

Basically what I am trying to say is all of the AGFer's have good intentions. And that intention is to help. Personally, I owe everything to AGF recording. I have learned everything from their tutelage.
Old 10-13-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post

I have no idea what the OP's personal finances look like and neither do you. His request was non-specific outside of here's the mic I have, here's the mic I'm considering, could I have some recommendations. He gave us no hint of his limitations so why should any of us impose limitations that we don't know are there?

The OP is seeking information that can guide him towards a good purchasing decision. Had he mentioned a budget in his original post, I'm sure most, if not all, of the responses would have offered suggestions in the neighborhood of that budget. But he didn't, so that leaves the door open for a much wider variety of recommendations.
Jim ...in respect I do believe the OP did more less define his search. I'm not going back and quote him but I believe he said he was recording in his closet because that was the best solution he could gather. And he said he'd searched out the rode nt1 as a possible replacement for his at2020...which defines the economic area to be suggested....I believe. If a guy in a car forum asks for a good replacement for his VW which he parks in the street, and says he's been eyeing a Capri....why suggest a Ferrari ?
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 10-13-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
If a guy in a car forum asks for a good replacement for his VW which he parks in the street, and says he's been eyeing a Capri....why suggest a Ferrari ?
Strawman...again. And again the straightest line between these two points is a titanically crooked line. No one on this forum suggested the OP purchase Oceanway as a replacement for his/her AT2020. You're stretching things to fit your agenda and still, in all, it doesn't change the indisputable fact that hard-earned and learned sonic information passed off as an attempt to help is still, just that.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jim ...in respect I do believe the OP did more less define his search. I'm not going back and quote him but I believe he said he was recording in his closet because that was the best solution he could gather. And he said he'd searched out the rode nt1 as a possible replacement for his at2020...which defines the economic area to be suggested....I believe. If a guy in a car forum asks for a good replacement for his VW which he parks in the street, and says he's been eyeing a Capri....why suggest a Ferrari ?
Okay, YOUR opinion; however, as I've already stated, unless someone states a budget, I don't assume they're confined to a budget. There are other reasons beside financial why a person may be interested in a Rode NT1. Your recording philosophy seems to be myopically rooted in cost and nothing else and you don't seem able to make your case in that regard without some level of snarling at the rest of us.

And just for poops and giggles, let's take a look at your analogy. Why might a person be looking at a Capri? You're assuming that it's because that person can afford no better. That may be the case but it might also be the case that the person had a Capri back in the '70s and is feeling nostalgic, or maybe someone told them that the Capri was the greatest car ever built and they believed them, or maybe they saw a Capri in a video and thought it looked cool, or maybe some misinformed person told him the Capri seats would cure his aching back. When I used the term "myopically" in the above paragraph, I really do mean it. It all comes down to what is cheapest for you. There's no regard to quality, to sound, to purpose, it's just about spending the least possible and that appears to be your sole criteria for selecting audio gear... AUDIO gear... nothing at all to do with the sound, just what it costs.

If your finances are tight, I'm sorry you're in that situation, but I do wish you'd stop projecting your financial hardship into every discussion as if the mere mention of higher end options (or, heaven forbid, room treatment) is a personal attack aimed at you ...or, at the very least, I wish you'd do it in a less confrontational manner. We're all trying to have some fun here and pass around what knowledge we've gained from our audio experiences. That should be an easy enough thing to do.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-13-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Okay, YOUR opinion; however, as I've already stated, unless someone states a budget, I don't assume they're confined to a budget. There are other reasons beside financial why a person may be interested in a Rode NT1.
and be recording in a closet ? Pretty obvious.

Quote:
Your recording philosophy seems to be myopically rooted in cost and nothing else
not true. rooted in occams razor perhaps ...the shortest distance between two points.

Quote:
And just for poops and giggles, let's take a look at your analogy. Why might a person be looking at a Capri? You're assuming that it's because that person can afford no better. That may be the case but it might also be the case that the person had a Capri back in the '70s and is feeling nostalgic, or maybe someone told them that the Capri was the greatest car ever built and they believed them, or maybe they saw a Capri in a video and thought it looked cool, or maybe some misinformed person told him the Capri seats would cure his aching back. When I used the term "myopically" in the above paragraph, I really do mean it.
jaja do you really believe this ? It was a descriptive metaphor Jim, which I believe accurately portrayed the thread. b...if a person has a vw and then they are looking for a capri, occams razor says the logical answer is 99% about funds.

Quote:
It all comes down to what is cheapest for you. There's no regard to quality, to sound, to purpose, it's just about spending the least possible and that appears to be your sole criteria for selecting audio gear... AUDIO gear... nothing at all to do with the sound, just what it costs.
Who said that?? I've always stated my goal of getting 90% of the quality for 10% of the investment. Always. Don't confuse the argument.

Quote:
If your finances are tight, I'm sorry you're in that situation, but I do wish you'd stop projecting your financial hardship into every discussion as if the mere mention of higher end options (or, heaven forbid, room treatment) is a personal attack aimed at you ...or, at the very least, I wish you'd do it in a less confrontational manner.
thanks but I'm not in need of any sympathy.I didn't do any projecting, you did...but then I get confronted. And the op's questions forgotten. There were some good suggestions of good cheap mics before the war tales about how many guns are in the shed started. I understand. I like to show off my toys to my friends too.
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 10-13-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Strawman...again. And again the straightest line between these two points is a titanically crooked line. No one on this forum suggested the OP purchase Oceanway as a replacement for his/her AT2020. You're stretching things to fit your agenda and still, in all, it doesn't change the indisputable fact that hard-earned and learned sonic information passed off as an attempt to help is still, just that.
Actually that's a descriptive metaphor and has nothing whatsoever to do with strawmen, since the previous sentence stated the subject. And yes alohachris...and I get it. Beautiful new toys to show and tell. However...the ethnocentric part is that if a humble person is asking a modest question, and expects a modest reply, then it's an insult to suggest something not within his reach. Where I come from anyway. It's like suggesting a cancer cure that costs a million dollars to someone who doesn't have health insurance. And then telling them that everything else they do won't help them until they take the cure. Well...people will be selling their homes to take the cure won't they? That's hyperbole....often used in the philosophy of Ethics to illustrate a point.
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 10-13-2023, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

"The nearer your destination the more ya slip slidin away"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-13-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
"The nearer your destination the more ya slip slidin away"

I'll consider that to mean I'm heading the right way.
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 10-13-2023, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll consider that to mean I'm heading the right way.
You're reading the room really badly... like incredibly badly.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-13-2023, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

OK, folks, let’s tone it down, what do you say? Lots of Alpha energy in here. It’s music, right?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 10-13-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Actually that's a descriptive metaphor and has nothing whatsoever to do with strawmen, since the previous sentence stated the subject. And yes alohachris...and I get it. Beautiful new toys to show and tell. However...the ethnocentric part is that if a humble person is asking a modest question, and expects a modest reply, then it's an insult to suggest something not within his reach. Where I come from anyway. It's like suggesting a cancer cure that costs a million dollars to someone who doesn't have health insurance. And then telling them that everything else they do won't help them until they take the cure. Well...people will be selling their homes to take the cure won't they? That's hyperbole....often used in the philosophy of Ethics to illustrate a point.
Sorry and with continued respect, your goal here is singularly to be a contrarian. I don't see how that fits in a positive sense. I'd hope you stop.

Last edited by Joseph Hanna; 10-13-2023 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2023, 07:45 PM

Ok, folks, time to close up shop for the evening on this. The thread is closed.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD