The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2022, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Default The pleasure measure

I came across this interesting study which supports the proposition that the lasting pleasure from experiences exceeds the pleasure of acquisition. With the intriguing corollary that anticipating an experience superceeds the pleasure of anticipating an acquisition.
That is, anticipating and attending that guitar camp you always wanted to go to, triggers greater pleasure than that next guitar, and sticks with you longer. As much as I love the anticipation and rush of opening that new guitar case for the first time, I could be persuaded that the experiences the purchase makes possible (new songs, new sounds, rekindled inspiration) are more durable. Of course, if you do not play that shiny new guitar, it all just fizzles in the end.
Discuss amongst yourselves.
David

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...56797614546556
Old 01-21-2022, 01:43 PM

I’ll say it depends on so many factors that are not easily categorizable. As far as statistical studies are concerned, they seem to always make a generalization that falls apart at the individual level.

Waiting a year and a half for my guitar build to finish was equally stimulating and frustrating. But overall, so much more pleasurable than buying a ready made guitar. Playing it has become a totally different type of pleasure as I adapt to the instrument and start hearing sonic potentials that are wowing me.

Is my experience universal? Who knows. But IMO, you get maximum pleasure from a mix of the two: anticipation and enjoyment of the experience. YMMV.

Rick
Old 01-21-2022, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

That’s interesting. I can understand how anticipating an experience, and then experiencing it could be ultimately more enjoyable than acquisition. That truth is not self evident in our present day culture- Thus the importance of such studies.

Social Psychology has lots of topics similar to this that are worthwhile subjects for contemplation.

For instance, studies have shown acts of altruism improve our well being and “happiness quotient” far greater than acquiring more stuff, a new pair of shoes, etc..
Though there are studies that support the notion of “therapeutic shopping” the scientists believe that those positive effects are short lived in relation to acts of altruism.

Anyway, pretty interesting.

Best,
Tom
Old 01-21-2022, 02:05 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

For me buying a new guitar is a double whammy…in a good way. I get to enjoy the anticipation of the experiences I’m going to have playing it once she’s in my lap. And I get to enjoy the pleasure of acquiring a superb guitar that’s a joy to behold. Yep, I’m one of those guys who thinks a fine guitar is a work of art. Win/win, baby!

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 01-21-2022, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

For me it is almost always "delayed gratification".

Maybe I am not of the instant gratification generation, but I started saving money from my Friday "pocket" money when I was about 8 or 9.

Maybe it is the joy of the hunt exceeding the joy of the kill.

When it comes to guitars, they are rarely at their best as soon as I get them home, for me, it is the slow romance getting to know them.

A long slow rapturous meal is always more satisfying that a snack.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:08 PM
Guest 33123

I don't care what you or your study says, I'm buying another guitar!
Old 01-21-2022, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

But, Grasshopper, what if the acquisition is the experience?
Old 01-21-2022, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Interesting. I'm not qualified to get into the Psychology of it. I do know that for myself the anticipation that eventually I will be able to get out and share my music with other people keeps me going. Without at least the prospect I lose interest in playing. I guess I need purpose to keep me motivated. As far as buying, I've tried to look at it from an introspective viewpoint and I don't know why I don't buy more expensive guitars and more of them.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-21-2022, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Maybe I am not of the instant gratification generation, but I started saving money from my Friday "pocket" money when I was about 8 or 9.

When it comes to guitars, they are rarely at their best as soon as I get them home, for me, it is the slow romance getting to know them.

I know several people who have given up hunting and taken up nature photography. I think that is what drove them.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-21-2022, 02:21 PM

I'm not sure this applies to guitars but this made me think of a line from "Fifty Dollar Treasure Map" by Joe Bennett and the Pirates or the Vieux Carre.

It ain't the finding
It's the quest
That makes life worth a crap
And the pleasure of possessing
A fifty dollar treasure map

Cool song and great album.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

…so nicely put….and very much like my own experience….

….I do also relate to the notion that the experiences created by and with the objects of our desire are ultimately more fulfilling than the objects themselves….
Old 01-21-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
But, Grasshopper, what if the acquisition is the experience?
well, that is precisely the issue. if the acquisition becomes the experience, and it has, discontent becomes the norm*.

* it is possible to be so removed from a thing that one cannot remember or know it anymore. or views it from the filter of an otherness, thereby changing the experience of it (without really being aware of the change).
Old 01-21-2022, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I don't care what you or your study says, I'm buying another guitar!
OP here. Enjoy your sugar high, mate.🤑

David
Old 01-21-2022, 03:02 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
OP here. Enjoy your sugar high, mate.🤑

David
Just kidding. I actually cancelled my latest acquisition. It was the wrong guitar at the wrong time for all the wrong reasons. I'm happy I came to my senses!
Old 01-21-2022, 03:02 PM

Just more proof that Psychologists still can't explain MY way of thinking/doing things.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion