The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-18-2022, 04:28 PM

My oldest daughter is an advanced Pilates instructor. With the advent of C****, she could not use the studio and went to all Zoom lessons - - which works if you don't need equipment. Don't get me wrong, the studio was better. Maybe a combination?

The first thing I thought of are your customers. Can you get new ones easily? Unless you can answer "yes", that kind of rules out an extended vacation. How about making a deal with someone else in the business to use his space after hours?

Or raise your prices and use the small space?

Things to ponder....

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:29 PM

Todd, as I have discussed with you in the past, I did precisely what you have done concerning a parent, see myself in you, and bring that up now only to say that you are at the stage in the grieving process where people around you seem to assume that it's all behind you now, the condolences stop, things are expected to be returning to normal... and they are not. There is a void. Part of what dominated your emotions, and even your self identity, is no longer there. I ask you to realize and acknowledge that to yourself because that's ok. It takes time to heal. For some of us it takes a long time to heal. Give yourself plenty of time. You did well my friend. You stepped up. You answered the call and never wavered.

As far as the business, it seems like it might be worthwhile to take the smaller place if the non load bearing walls can be eliminated. That would keep you on the same path you have been on for years, lessen the amount of change you are experiencing, maintain some normalcy, and buy you some time.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:25 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12barBill View Post
Todd, as I have discussed with you in the past, I did precisely what you have done concerning a parent, see myself in you, and bring that up now only to say that you are at the stage in the grieving process where people around you seem to assume that it's all behind you now, the condolences stop, things are expected to be returning to normal... and they are not. There is a void. Part of what dominated your emotions, and even your self identity, is no longer there. I ask you to realize and acknowledge that to yourself because that's ok. It takes time to heal. For some of us it takes a long time to heal. Give yourself plenty of time. You did well my friend. You stepped up. You answered the call and never wavered.

As far as the business, it seems like it might be worthwhile to take the smaller place if the non load bearing walls can be eliminated. That would keep you on the same path you have been on for years, lessen the amount of change you are experiencing, maintain some normalcy, and buy you some time.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
You are 100% right, and I told one of my 80 plus year old clients the other day that it felt like I lost my purpose since Mom passed. It's a double edge sword, two losses at once.

Just before I left work tonight I got a call from the landlord at the smaller space and they are willing to make the changes and roll the expense into my 2 year lease. I told her I'd let her know in 48 hours.

The "plan" right now is to follow through, get moved, and then likely take some time off.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:52 PM

Maybe take a few months and create some open space for yourself.

Thoreau talked about living life with a wide margin - I try to do that even if others sometimes don’t agree or understand it.

After what you’ve experienced, it might be just what you need.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Hi Todd,
The struggle does get overwhelming at times. Grief is a process. There will be better days.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 01-18-2022, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

The Personal Trainer option immediately came to my mind as well. I have been working with someone for the past year and only in the past few months have we ever met in person. It has worked really well over zoom and, from the client perspective, one of the things I like about it is that what equipment there is, is mine and stays in my house so it's all about exercises I can do on my own between zoom meetings. My trainer does group zoom group classes in addition to private.

Since things have opened up again, we meet at a small gym where she (I assume) rents time. I meet with her once on zoom, once for a private gym session and once for a small group gym session per week. It's not inexpensive and I have to think that the trainer makes a reasonable living and can choose her schedule and clientele. The other thing she does, which seems pretty cool to me, is occasional trips to all-inclusive resorts in exotic places where she teaches classes in the mornings and then has the rest of the day to do whatever she wants. I don't know how the remuneration works but it sounds like a fun gig.
What with all of us aging boomers, it seems like your line of work is one with on-going potential.

Later addition:
Another thing my trainer talked about was the idea of renovating her garage to set up a small studio. Maybe there's room at your parent's house that could become a place to work with clients.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Dogma; 01-19-2022 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:04 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Hey Todd! At a crossroads is right! Maybe renewing with the familiar is what you need in the short term, but some interesting options have been offered that seem very much worth considering, even exciting.

With your experience, it seems there are various ways you can reinvent yourself in the fitness industry if you may want to, including those that don’t require capital investment and overhead, which are very costly.

With all that has happened which you’re justifiably still reeling from, at 60 y/o, maybe it is time to make a big change...maybe even to the extent to combine travel with your occupation...as a consultant. I certainly don’t know, and some might think it to be a younger persons job, but those who can afford cruises are usually older, so as I think you’ve said you’re single, maybe there’s opportunity to join a cruise ship line as an on-board fitness instructor. Heck, with your guitar/singing talent, you could even become part of the entertainment. And how about being able to play golf at so many destinations along the way...as you’re very good at the game, you could even be a golf excursion coordinator. Yeah, baby! Talk about a triple threat! It could all be quite fun. You have even talked about “tiny home” living! Well, there ya go!

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best. You’re resilient and will come out on top!

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-18-2022 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:44 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalton View Post
Maybe take a few months and create some open space for yourself.

Strangely enough, this is what feels right to me at this point.

Most of the other options kind of feel like "another brick in the wall"

Only thing is once I sell the equipment and lose the clientele, there will be no going back.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:48 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
maybe there’s opportunity to join a cruise ship line as an on-board fitness instructor. Heck, with your guitar/singing talent, you could even become part of the entertainment. And how about being able to play golf at so many destinations along the way...as you’re very good at the game, you could even be a golf excursion coordinator. Yeah, baby! Talk about a triple threat!
In Midland we have a beautiful country club where they hold an yearly LPGA event. I've considered contacting them - they have a huge fitness facility, obviously the golf thing, and I could likely perform there once in a while. That was one of my "options" to carrying on as I have been.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:50 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post

Later addition:
Another thing my trainer talked about was the idea of renovating her garage to set up a small studio. Maybe there's room at your parent's house that could become a place to work with clients.

Best of luck!
It's only 900 sq ft and a carport - it's in an "association" where it's not allowed unfortunately.

The Zoom, not in person thing has zero appeal to this old dog. I'm NOT a tech guy (still have a flip phone) and it just wouldn't be my thing. More power to those who are making it work!

Old 01-20-2022, 08:47 AM

I typically don’t post, however, your “opportunity” made a couple of my “older” brain cells fire at the same time … I truly understand this seasons “doldrums”… it’s -13.6 degrees outside now … I personally know I have seasonal affective disorder and need sunshine … in Winter that is tough to get - my remedy is 4000 IU daily of Vitamin D … as a retired science teacher, I ran a loose experiment using my mood and energy level with & without Vitamin D. Vitamin D seems to help me …just a thought….
You seem to have LOTS of skills and talents. I have a hunch you will look back at this time frame and be proud of your perseverance.
Guitar is another big time plus … take care!

2004 Taylor 410
2006 Washburn WD18SW
2007 Guild GAD-G212
2001 Taylor 814CE
2008 Langer Cigar Box Guitar (Hand built by Me!!)
2008 Taylor Big Baby
2010 Antonio Hermosa AH10 Classical
Old 01-20-2022, 09:09 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by langerr View Post
I typically don’t post, however, your “opportunity” made a couple of my “older” brain cells fire at the same time … I truly understand this seasons “doldrums”… it’s -13.6 degrees outside now … I personally know I have seasonal affective disorder and need sunshine … in Winter that is tough to get - my remedy is 4000 IU daily of Vitamin D … as a retired science teacher, I ran a loose experiment using my mood and energy level with & without Vitamin D. Vitamin D seems to help me …just a thought….
You seem to have LOTS of skills and talents. I have a hunch you will look back at this time frame and be proud of your perseverance.
Guitar is another big time plus … take care!
Thanks - I don't think my disorder with winter is as much chemical as it is activity related. I literally set my work hours so I can play golf every weekday with my buddies and ride my road bike on the weekends. When I haven't been able to do that since late October (cold weather came early this year) as Jimmy Buffett says "my fins sink so low".

I've taken a multi vitamin every day for 30 plus years and obviously exercise like a fiend - all that helps, but it's not being able to do what I love for 4-5 months that sends me down.

I've got to make my decision in the next couple of days and I feel like I'm one click from the mental ward. Probably the biggest decision of my life and I haven't even come up for air since the loss of my Mom and the years previous taking care of them, enduring the flood and now this.

I just want some peace - and if I chose that, it will come at a price too, of course.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Thanks - I don't think my disorder with winter is as much chemical as it is activity related. I literally set my work hours so I can play golf every weekday with my buddies and ride my road bike on the weekends. When I haven't been able to do that since late October (cold weather came early this year) as Jimmy Buffett says "my fins sink so low".

I've taken a multi vitamin every day for 30 plus years and obviously exercise like a fiend - all that helps, but it's not being able to do what I love for 4-5 months that sends me down.

I've got to make my decision in the next couple of days and I feel like I'm one click from the mental ward. Probably the biggest decision of my life and I haven't even come up for air since the loss of my Mom and the years previous taking care of them, enduring the flood and now this.

I just want some peace - and if I chose that, it will come at a price too, of course.
Do you have any option at all to move to a sunnier, warmer climate? I know when I left Seattle after 7 years, I found out I had been a bit depressed and hadn't even realized it. I felt so great 3 weeks in, then I figured it out. "Oh yeah, it's March and it's sunny and 70, not raining and 52." Made a big difference. I loved my friends and my job up there, but I never even consider moving back.

Took a while to re-establish friendships, but getting married and starting that life made it all a lot easier.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:30 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Do you have any option at all to move to a sunnier, warmer climate?
I would if I could, but financially it would be very hard....with the real estate market in such a hideous place. Moving the business and attempting to build a clientele all over again at 60 wouldn't be high on my list.

10 years ago when I thought about what life would be like after my parents were gone, I was sure I'd move to a warmer place. Right now I feel like I don't have the mental energy to even consider it.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Todd, I wish you the best whatever you decide. I would love to comment more but for now will be waiting to see what you decide.
Maple Beneteau for sale

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic