The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-16-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Dear Sir, I am struggling with the concept of being too British.

Surely that is the acme to which all would strive?
I take it you haven't spent too much time in Spain? Would you believe they think we're uptight over there!
Old 01-17-2022, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Maybe it's a Midwestern thing, but my reaction when someone I've never met before looks me straight in the eye, gives me a firm handshake, and smiles with all his teeth is to keep at least one hand on my wallet and not believe a word he says.

here here.

Based in Auckland ; bringing Rare, Premium & Vintage Guitars to Australia, New Zealand & Beyond.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:49 AM

Ha! Most animals like cats, dogs, chimps and gorillas display their teeth when they are upset. We humans think of it as a friendly gesture between ourselves. Go figure.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

….I believe in good phone etiquette….I always speak respectfully….take note of the callers name and use it when we converse….and never demean the caller when they’re representing some reprehensible company that just wants to bilk me out of my savings….that’s assuming it’s a live person on the other end….if it’s a robo call…..click!!…
Old 01-17-2022, 10:25 AM

I feel telephone manners are as important as face to face manners.

1. Be respectful.
2, If the call is for business, speak clearly and professionally.
3. Don't put on airs, just be yourself, or perhaps a professional version of yourself.
4. First identify yourself and politely ask for the person to whom you wish to speak, even if you suspect they are the person who answered the phone.
5. Do not assume familiarity just because you now know someone's name.

To me it's simple courtesy.

But that's me.

Best,
PJ
Old 01-17-2022, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

I had a job where I had to answers calls from people that were sometimes quite abusive and I didn't really have the option of hanging up. I was where the buck stopped when people tried to go up the chain because they weren't getting the response they wanted to hear. I always keep that in mind these days when I call someone on the phone. I don't want to be that kind of person.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-17-2022, 03:13 PM

The job I recently retired from was Department Chair, so much like rllink above, the buck stopped with me whenever students (or their parents) called to complain.

I prided myself on not getting upset on the phone but there were times ...

My least favorite situation was to tell parents I could not discuss their kid's academics with them due to FERPA regulations. For those itching for a verbal fight, that would do it.

There were times I told the other party that if they continued with the abuse I would hang up, and believe it or not, that actually stopped most!

Boy am I glad to be retired!!

Best,
PJ
Old 01-17-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post

There were times I told the other party that if they continued with the abuse I would hang up, and believe it or not, that actually stopped most!

PJ
Bingo, my experience as well, both in higher ed administration and YMCA work.

At times I found success in asking them calmly what they'd prefer, a fight or a solution. Never had anybody choose fight! LOL.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-17-2022, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Dear Sir, I am struggling with the concept of being too British.

Surely that is the acme to which all would strive?

I spent my working life (41 years) seated at a desk (that's where I shine) and even after a formal British education, I learnt how to present to superiors, clients, suppliers and customers.

I remember attending a week long course in central London with a famous actress and broadcaster, back in the '60s , who taught us how to avoid the common errors when talking on the telephone.

She used one sentence to illustrate how a false image could be unintentionally conveyed ...
Secretary talking to a client about her boss .. "I'm afraid he's all tied up now but he will have nothing on tomorrow!"

I also remember how to deal with a frantic/angy customer ... let them rant until entirely exhausteed before responding.

False or inappropriate "friendliness" is unacceptable, but I have found recently that when contacting a bank, or other helpline, you always have to give your full name, to which the respond, "May I call you ... one's first name. (I always make a note of their name, although I suspect that they rarely give you their real name).

It's OK to be British!
Definitely OK and I agree with all the above , since I don't know what "too British is ?(other than perhaps liking warm beer) too British for me, I did however grow to like malt vinegar on Fish & Chips with an ice cold Guinness, guess I am multi ethnic

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-17-2022, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I just got off the phone from a company whose rep called me 'bud' and spoke like someone from Fast Times at Ridgemont High! Didn't make a good impression or inspire confidence, I'm afraid. When I'm doing any kind of business, I prefer not to speak to someone who treats me like an old buddyroo and as if they've just rolled out of bed!

Am I being too British and formal here? I like friendliness but not too much familiarity.

What say you?
I agree with you. A person can be friendly and open on the phone while still providing knowledgeable information and while always treating the customer with respect and care.

Some people naturally know how to do this and some people just don't get it.

- Glenn
Old 01-17-2022, 07:11 PM

Question What about telemarketers?

So a question for all: what about your manners when telemarketers call?

As for myself, I come off as very impolite, no matter how hard I try.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
So a question for all: what about your manners when telemarketers call?

As for myself, I come off as very impolite, no matter how hard I try.
Simple. If I don’t recognize the caller, I don’t answer the phone.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-17-2022, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

And then there's the call-center policy/insistence on being too polite...

When I'm on the phone discussing anything with "Kevin," I'd prefer to have a concise, straightforward conversation.

Me: "So Kevin can we talk about my cable bill? It's too high."

Kevin: "Thank you for being a highly esteemed customer, and your indulgence in allowing me to provide you with excellent customer service today Mr. Tinnitus. If I may place you on hold for just a brief moment, I can inquire about alternate pricing plans in the unlikely event that you are not 100% pleased with your current triple-play package that includes [blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...]. Thank you please."

Kevin [5-10 minutes later]: "It is a privilege, Mr. Tinnitus, for me to have this opportunity to investigate solutions for your situation today. Would you please possibly be so kind as to provide me with the serial number of the cable box you are inquiring about?"

Me: "Kevin, I'm not 'inquiring' about the cable box. You guys are just charging me way too much and I want to pay less. Anyhow, it's S/N 1234-WXYZ0O0O0O1l1l1l1l...I think! It's in size 0.001 font."

Kevin: "Mr. Tinnitus, we are so very fortunate and thankful for your customer loyalty since 2002, cooperative good nature and assistance in this endeavor to ensure that you have a most positive interaction regarding total customer satisfaction with your cable experience."

Me: "You're flippin' killing me over here Kevin."

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-18-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I had a job where I had to answers calls from people that were sometimes quite abusive and I didn't really have the option of hanging up. I was where the buck stopped when people tried to go up the chain because they weren't getting the response they wanted to hear. I always keep that in mind these days when I call someone on the phone. I don't want to be that kind of person.
I've long had jobs where the problems end and for 2 years in the can't talk about it have had a lot of customer facing experience. Now I'm taking some calls because we the extreme staff shortages and we just lost our company-wide manager of web orders and deliveries in a car accident that also killed her son.

It's incredible how often people who should know better behave very poorly these days. It's become better with all the in stores encounters but really bad with phone behavior now. We change the call queues on the fly sending them to staff all over the company to be hearing it.

As much as we're extremely accommodating with our customers and have a culture of respect, our poor staff doing their best gets a lot of harassment from people who should know better.

Something I'll do in what a lot of is described here is take a moment to coach someone if I think it won't go negative. The attempt to keep it all positive is often good medicine for everyone.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

To take the this in a slightly different direction - I've observed a long-time trend of many restaurant servers/wait-staff addressing customers as "guys" regardless of age or gender.

"Hi my name is XYZ and I'll be taking care of you. Can I get you guys some drinks?"

My 90+ year old mother, my 70 year old sister, my 60+ year old wife and yours truly: "Guys?"

Last edited by FingahPickah; 01-18-2022 at 04:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic