The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-13-2022, 02:16 PM

While some might get a bit upset and I'm certainly not poking fun at alcoholism I saw this and it made me chuckle (YMMV):
Old 01-13-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Folks, we're going to keep this thread going for a while, but let's try to keep it within the rules. Thanks.
It's a well-known fact that alcohol and rules have never complemented each other.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Yes. Alcohol is part of all the entertainment in the US. Every entertainment event I attend has lots of alcohol available - sporting events, concerts, plays, ballet. Even the local movie theaters offer beer and wine with your popcorn...
I think the above sums things up nicely. Musical performances don't have a monopoly on alcohol consumption; alcohol consumption seems to be part of all entertainment/socialization in the US except maybe elementary school graduations...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-14-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
That literally happens in every music bar I've ever been in, everywhere...

Good to know! But I certainly could not tell by the responses in this thread.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

The going rate for my old band back in the 20-teens was $400+free beer.

We would meet at the bar before going on and have a shot of Patron, and I would always say "let's have some fun and let's keep our mistakes small." It was something of a ritual.

Myself, I would sip Bud Light for the next 4 hours. Three beers total, usually. I never felt much of a buzz. I think the energy and the adrenaline burned up the alcohol.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

When I was younger I believed the following stereotypes:
A) Country musicians drank beer and whiskey and smoked Marlboro cigarettes.
B) Rock musicians smoked pot, drank vodka and tequila, and partied with cocaine and heroine.
C) Jazz and blues guys got high on weed but smoked Newports in public.
D) Patrons of classical music drank wine.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 01-15-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
When I was younger I believed the following stereotypes:
A) Country musicians drank beer and whiskey and smoked Marlboro cigarettes.
B) Rock musicians smoked pot, drank vodka and tequila, and partied with cocaine and heroine.
C) Jazz and blues guys got high on weed but smoked Newports in public.
D) Patrons of classical music drank wine.

A and D are still largely true, sans Marlboros.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter Shack View Post
Hey folks,

It's a well-known fact that alcohol and music have always been associated with each other. (My bad, I suppose 'complemented' was the wrong choice of word)

Next week, I'm interviewing an upcoming rapper from Wisconsin about his now 10-month sobriety and whether or not this has affected his position in the hip-hop market. I'm going to try and find out if the concept of sober festivals will achieve mainstream adoption. I also wish to extract some tips for young people who wish to navigate the Western music industry and remain sober.

Many of us have had experiences with alcohol and music. But what are your experiences with said vices and the music industry?

Cheers!
I'm only reading the revised version of the OP above. Yes, this is clearly true as a generality applied to my time and place: music and intoxicants are often found together on the stage, in the wings or afterward, and in the audience and in the revenue streams of promoters. Obviously, this is not universal or without some issues as some responses point out.

Interestingly, fewer responses address the second, larger part of the post.

I believe that the commercial viability of music is going through new challenges for more than one reason. I have no idea how well a sober venues or concerts might work, but I suspect it's chancy like all live music that seeks to support itself right now.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-19-2022, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

I have been playing since the early 70's.

70's was a different time. As was the 80's, 90's 2000's.

And without being specific. I took part in all aspects.

Alcohol, at one point was seen as fuel.

Allot of good music came out of alcohol induced rehearsals, gigs, and recordings.

They say live and learn. Well I did Live. Sometimes I think about it, and wonder.

How did I get to this point alive. Allot of my friends didn't make it this far.

I seriously doubt I could put up with today. The things that had been the norm for me in the past..

There is allot in my past that I am less than proud of.

Then again there is allot I am proud of.

And, if I hadn't gone through the things I did. Would I have still become the same person?

I'm sure, without the experiences I went through. I wouldn't be the player I am today.

Not saying I'm all that. But sometimes I surprise myself. But there's always someone better.

I still like to have a few beers when I play. Nix the Tequilla laced all nighters.

What I have learned since starting my recording journey.

Though a drink or two can loosen up the player. The engineer/producer have no business drinking even one beer.

During post production. One beer will alter your perception. To the point of having to go back and remix.

That's where I lost my Drummer.

He was always good for the recording process. But when it came to mixing. His alcohol soaked brain would hear things.....Just wrong.

As far as playing? Sure, in moderation. Learn your limits. "Easier said than done."

If you can't hold your liquor. If it makes you mean. If it makes you think you are god's gift to women. Don't do it.

Problem is, you usually find these things out, too late.

Damage has already been done.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:52 PM

This thread reminds me of the 1976 documentary "Heartworn Highways" featuring Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Young, Rodney Crowell, Steve Earle and many more legendary musicians & songwriters.

If you haven't seen it, or "Heartworn Highways Revisited" from 2015, I can't recommend both highly enough...it's a history lesson of massively talented artists and their lives at the time. "Revisited" also focuses on some of the working singer/songwriters in Nashville today who work and tour outside the spotlight of the "Music Row Big Time" roster of artists.

In "Revisited", referring to the lifestyles they were all living at the time of the original film, Steve Young said simply "We couldn't help being what we were."

Last edited by Denny B; 01-19-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post

Interestingly, fewer responses address the second, larger part of the post.

I believe that the commercial viability of music is going through new challenges for more than one reason. I have no idea how well a sober venues or concerts might work, but I suspect it's chancy like all live music that seeks to support itself right now.
This is what the rapper I mentioned had to say about it all.

https://bantershack.com/tg-i-quit-dr...-pen-to-paper/
Old 01-20-2022, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post

Though a drink or two can loosen up the player. The engineer/producer have no business drinking even one beer.

During post production. One beer will alter your perception. To the point of having to go back and remix.

That's where I lost my Drummer.

He was always good for the recording process. But when it came to mixing. His alcohol soaked brain would hear things.....Just wrong.

As far as playing? Sure, in moderation. Learn your limits. "Easier said than done."

If you can't hold your liquor. If it makes you mean. If it makes you think you are god's gift to women. Don't do it.

Problem is, you usually find these things out, too late.

Damage has already been done.
I've just finished reading Nile Rodgers book as it happens. Although he's a well-respected musician and producer, he certainly did his fair share of binging throughout the decades. I personally love to drink, but I've concluded that it's a problem, so I'm back on the wagon again. Haven't had a drop for 3 weeks, but I'll be glad to make it another 3 years without any. There's far more to live than getting sloshed.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:35 AM

A difference between now and 'back then', whenever that was, is that the concept of 'sensible drinking' seems to be no longer quite so sensible in the eyes of many. My parents almost never drank, but my first girlfriend's parents drank a few whiskies every night. At the time, that would have been considered sensible. Now I'm not so sure.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
A difference between now and 'back then', whenever that was, is that the concept of 'sensible drinking' seems to be no longer quite so sensible in the eyes of many. My parents almost never drank, but my first girlfriend's parents drank a few whiskies every night. At the time, that would have been considered sensible. Now I'm not so sure.
Yes, consumption of alcohol has become (for better or worse, like it or not) the new boogieman in society. Hilarious to me as the parents of today, as stated above, seem to view that substance with distain while apparently shifting to a different intoxicant of choice. https://bit.ly/32hsShv
Old 01-20-2022, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

That was a good article ......

I remember in the early 70s where it was acceptable and standard practice for people to have a drink or two at lunch break. Not all of course. I ran into it from the rural Midwest to Los Angeles. My first boss in LA, where I sold wholesale meat at the age of 24, taking me to lunch and buying us drinks. After a couple he suggested that I might want to take a break as he carried on.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Tags
alcohol, live performance, music business, music industry