The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2022, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Anatomy of a Fraud Attempt - Please Read

AGF Team -

There is a bona fide fraudster currently on the prowl not only here, but also other music-related fora. My story is below, but see also the same exact person (phone number, email) in a drums forum:

https://www.drumforum.org/threads/so.../#post-2235933

I posted a want ad on the AGF.

Well, boy oh boy! I got a PM that a certain person that not only claimed to have one (they are somewhat rare), but the EXACT one I used to own. You can imagine by (feigned) excitement.

He sent pics from this link that belong (to my knowledge) to the actual owner:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=478309

I knew he was a fraud immediately, but have been stringing along as long as possible so I can get as much information, evidence, and contacts to report properly.

For the sake of brevity, the warning signs, in order of my odyssey, I list below. Review and let it be caveat emptor for you:

1. Sends message on day one of registration
2. Name was a "co-name" (Name + Sig other)
3. Referred to self in third person
4. Via email, indicated he had a GC to sell, I asked for price
5. Price significantly lower than market....
6. Sends pics, reverse image shows link to AGF, above
7. Avoids question about case (Calton), sends pic of "another case that I have"
8. Reverse image search shows case on sale on Reverb
9. Ask for a shot of the guitar in the case - comes back with the WORST photoshopped and filtered attempt ever...comical...
10. Dodges payment via Paypal
11. Sends link to Venmo payment - WITH A DIFFERENT NAME!
12. Ignores question about the multiple names
13. After silence from me, sends apologetic email saying not to send via Venmo, but through Cashapp, zelle, etc...
14. Emails twice demanding I hurry so he can "get it on air freight"
15. ...and be sure to send a pic showing you have paid...
16. When asked what "air freight meant," 'oh you, know, air delivery to get this guitar to you faster
17. I never asked for expedited shipping
18. Phone number search yields fraud alert as the top result - to the drum forum linked above.

So beware, but also stay calm in general. So many here are frightened by their own shadows that they might get stiffed by a legitimate AGF member here. As you can see, it is hard to miss the actual warning signs.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-18-2022 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Not in this section.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Yep...they're always out there "trolling". it's too bad...if only they spent that time doing something legitimately good?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-18-2022, 12:19 PM

I am always amazed at the effort put into scamming people. Like, if they'd just put that work into something honest the scammer would be so much further ahead. But maybe that's not how they think.

Anyway, kudos to you for your attempt to identify this person. Good luck finding the guitar you're seeking.

Also, the use of the word "fora" is noted and appreciated
Fender EJ Strat
Old 01-18-2022, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeappel View Post

My day has been made!
Old 01-18-2022, 04:01 PM

Suppose you gave them one of the ersatz cashiers checks that are out there, scammed the scammer - what a thought.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
There is a bona fide fraudster currently on the prowl not only here, but also other music-related fora.
For what it's worth, this person is not currently a member of the AGF.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
For what it's worth, this person is not currently a member of the AGF.
Thanks, Kerbie. The name just shows as "Guest" in my PMs now.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:42 AM
Guest 02022022

deleted account

Last edited by Guest 02022022; 02-02-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeappel View Post

To accompany 'flora' and 'fauna', who seemed lonely without 'fora' to communicate?

Now they can become as famous as 'veni', 'vidi', and 'vici', the Julian sisters.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 01-19-2022, 08:14 AM

If you want to get pummeled by emails from fraudsters, post a 'want to buy' online in forums.

I did a ways back and it was an endless circus of individuals who had exactly what I was looking for,
could never send current specific pics that I was asking for, often times used poor english and/or had trouble spelling simple words.

Should you post a "Want" ad - very careful who you are dealing with - - - when fraudsters see a hungry fish,
they'll send all sorts of lures by your nose.

Last edited by TennesseeWalker; 01-19-2022 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

I am glad to know that if this person were a member of the AGF the moderators would be all over it. Thanks as always to Kerbie and all the other great Moderators.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
Thanks, Kerbie. The name just shows as "Guest" in my PMs now.
I wonder if a special designation could be created for known scammers, so their name would show as "Scammer Scum", "Criminal Cretin" or something more creative. "Guest" seems far too polite and tender a designation for the lowlife jerks that try to swindle honest, hardworking forum members.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Scotch N Speed - this person or someone very similar contacted me about a week ago about my WTB ad here for a Pre War….he contacted me through AGF and said someone he knows had one - sent phone number snd email….so I sent an email and pics came back in a very cryptic email with a price of $2,800…..now, we all know this would be a steal for a used Pre War…..I went back to AGF and noticed he just joined AGF that day…..hmmmm…..so I called him for the heck of it - you never know…..the dude literally couldn’t string two coherent sentences together so I hung up on him and immediately notified Kerbie on AGF…..who jumped on the issue immediately! Thanks Kerbie!! He texted me then and said he had just woken up and sounded groggy and would like to talk - I texted him back and said send me the guitar and I’ll pay you $3000 when it arrives - he said he needed a deposit….LoL - I said I don’t trust you at all - he actually texted back and said I wouldn’t trust me either….crazy…

So be really careful as others have said above….

And always remember what your Mother told you - or at least what my Mother told me ( God rest her soul - today is her birthday )….

“If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is”….

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo

Last edited by blews; 01-24-2022 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
I wonder if a special designation could be created for known scammers, so their name would show as "Scammer Scum", "Criminal Cretin" or something more creative. "Guest" seems far too polite and tender a designation for the lowlife jerks that try to swindle honest, hardworking forum members.
Lol... I like those ideas, Cedar. Those are great. "Guest" can refer to folks who leave for all kinds of reasons, so it doesn't refer only to those we've thrown out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blews View Post
Scotch N Speed - this person or someone very similar contacted me about a week ago about my WTB ad here for a Pre War….he contacted me through AGF and said someone he knows had one - sent phone number snd email….so I sent an email and pics came back in a very cryptic email with a price of $2,800…..now, we all know this would be a steal for a used Pre War…..I went back to AGF and noticed he just joined AGF that day…..hmmmm…..so I called him for the heck of it - you never know…..the dude literally couldn’t string two coherent sentences together so I hung up on him and immediately notified Kerbie on AGF…..who jumped on the issue immediately! Thanks Kerbie!! He texted me then and said he had just woken up and sounded groggy and would like to talk - I texted him back and said send me the guitar and I’ll pay you $3000 when it arrives - he said he needed a deposit….LoL - I said I don’t trust you at all - he actually texted back and said I wouldn’t trust me either….crazy…
Interesting story, blews. That's very similar to other stories we heard about him, so I'm very glad no one got scammed by him. We do the best we can behind the scenes, but it's not an exact science. So, a healthy amount of skepticism serves us well. I think the reason our Classifieds works as well as it does is because of the longevity of this community. Many of us have been around for years and years and we sorta trade guitars back and forth. So, we have history with so many people, it's easier to be comfortable with the transaction. If you're approached by a brand new member, he may not be a despicable scammer, but use good judgment. Interact several times, use phone calls and gather as much data as you can. And if something doesn't smell right... pass.

We always appreciate receiving information about these scammers, so thanks to those who shared with us.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:12 AM

I've had my fair share of run ins with these tools. Probably the worst was when selling my parent's home FSBO - someone co-opted the photos and was trying to rent the home for $2000/month. Thankfully a good samaritan in another state notified me after seeing the same photos in my legitimate For Sale ad and another For Rent ad by the scammers. A fraud report to CL got the listing removed quickly. However, my phone number (even though not listed in the CL ad) was overrun with fake scam texts for months.

The scammers are nearly always easy to spot. You just have to keep your guard up and question anything that feels "off." I really feel sorry for the older folks who get scammed into sending gift cards and the like, or get their computers hacked. There is a special place in Hades for these lowlifes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion