The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-07-2021, 04:02 PM

Default For your drooling pleasure - the ORIGINAL Gretsch Tri-Five...

A gen-u-ine, made-in Brooklyn-USA '56 6199 Convertible in Bamboo Yellow/Lotus Ivory and Copper Mist livery, with gold hardware/Dynasonic PU and Synchro-style long gold plexi pickguard - all yours for only $3995:

https://www.archtop.com/ac_56_6199.html

- and its modern counterpart:

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 10-08-2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Wow very cool and in mint shape ......ta boot

Or were you suggesting we are just old and drooling regardless of what we are looking at ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-07-2021, 04:52 PM

Wow Steve!!! Those beautiful pieces of musical art for sure. A treat for the eyes and I’m sure more so to play - not mention some music history. One doesn’t see too many of the Brooklyn, NY Greysch Instruments around anymore.

Beautiful man!
Old 10-07-2021, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Very, very nice!
Old 10-07-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Wow very cool and in mint shape...ta boot

Or were you suggesting we are just old and drooling regardless of what we are looking at ?
Given the AGF demographic, I figure we've all been in this game long enough to be selective droolers...
Old 10-07-2021, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Lovely Gretches Steve! Thanks for keeping us drooling!

- Glenn
Old 10-08-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
Wow Steve!!! Those beautiful pieces of musical art for sure. A treat for the eyes and I’m sure more so to play - not mention some music history. One doesn’t see too many of the Brooklyn, NY Gretsch Instruments around anymore...
Don't know where you're located, but if you grew up in Brooklyn back in the '50s-60's Gretsch was not only your hometown brand (Epiphone sold out to Gibson in '57, Guild moved to Hoboken, Favilla was the domain of the folkies who couldn't afford a Martin - and none of us could afford a D'Angelico) but inevitably your first "good" guitar. That said, although there's plenty still out there in the NYC Tri-State area, unfortunately many of them have issues - binding rot (my own '64 Double Annie is a victim), neck problems (FYI Gretsch was one of the first to make the move to kiln-dried woods, in the postwar era - a move that cost them the endorsements of both Johnny Smith and Harry Volpe), bad pickups/wiring (mine was redone under warranty in 1966) - and with the remaining good ones increasing in price, the current Korean-made 5400-Series (and pre-2019 5600-Series) Electromatics and MIJ Professional Series are not only a viable option, but among the finest instruments ever to wear the marque...
Old 10-08-2021, 08:29 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Don't know where you're located, but if you grew up in Brooklyn back in the '50s-60's Gretsch was not only your hometown brand (Epiphone sold out to Gibson in '57, Guild moved to Hoboken, Favilla was the domain of the folkies who couldn't afford a Martin - and none of us could afford a D'Angelico) but inevitably your first "good" guitar. That said, although there's plenty still out there in the NYC Tri-State area, unfortunately many of them have issues - binding rot (my own '64 Double Annie is a victim), neck problems (FYI Gretsch was one of the first to make the move to kiln-dried woods, in the postwar era - a move that cost them the endorsements of both Johnny Smith and Harry Volpe), bad pickups/wiring (mine was redone under warranty in 1966) - and with the remaining good ones increasing in price, the current Korean-made 5400-Series (and pre-2019 5600-Series) Electromatics and MIJ Professional Series are not only a viable option, but among the finest instruments ever to wear the marque...
Thank you so much for some of the history Steve. My family is actually from the old Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. My parents used to own a four story walk up there. Sold it many years ago and we were all transplanted to somewhere in Jersey. I’ve been trying to learn more and more I have some of the history of these companies and find it fascinating. I’m actually looking at a used Korean Gretsch 5420 in Fairlane blue. It might be a little bit of a GAS situation as I probably really don’t need it but yet I want it .
Old 10-17-2021, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Love Those Gretsches!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-17-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
made-in Brooklyn-USA
What's not to like?
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars