The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-28-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Wow, beautiful work Ken! Really nice.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me
Yes! Very nice! More fine guitars on the way!!!
Thanks Paul. All three coming off the bench this time are really nice. This little OO was a fun one to post updates on as I did a couple of things out of the ordinary. Plus OOs are just sweet in their own unique way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness1
That's a wonderful looking instrument - the mahogany makes my head spin!! The headstock is very tastefullly done and just icing on the cake.

I got out and played the first time today - just nine holes/two balls as it was a little windy, but I'll be back out tomorrow!

Can't wait to see your finished product!
Thanks Todd. That was my last set of curly mahogany. I might have to add another set back to my inventory. Mahogany is such a great wood to work with. No allergies and very predictable. A plus for the owner too is the wood is so stable.

Yes, very nice to be swinging the sticks again. Today was certainly warm enough to play down on this end of the state, but I haven't seen any courses open yet. Soon...very soon!

Again, well done with the audio track. Nice stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1
That's a beautiful headstock Ken! You do build gorgeous instruments!
My best to you and your family and your shop dog!
Hi Beth! Thanks for the comments regarding the headstock and my guitars. I'm sort of a plodder, and being semi-retired opens the door for travel and other things, so I don't get as much time in the shop as the full time builders. But the time I get keeps me sane and close to wood, which I really enjoy. The shop dog is doing well. We just came in from a walk and some frisbee time I'm guessing Annie (?) keeps you exercised as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymarsch
I always love seeing guitars in the white and that back is beautiful. The whole design works together so well. I find it so satisfying to see guitar builds come together so I can only imagine how exciting it is for you - the luthier!
Thanks Jayne! As you imagined, seeing the guitar complete is exciting for us builders too! There are times during a build when things just aren't going right, and other times when everything goes so smoothly. I often wish I could get through a build without any unanticipated challenges. But then maybe the end result wouldn't be quite as rewarding. I used to track how many hours I worked on a guitar in my shop, but then quit as I realized I was spending a comparable amount of time outside of the shop designing, planning, talking to my customer, buying woods and parts, etc. By the time the guitar gets to this stage, I have considerable time invested in it. I do love taking it out of the shop and looking at it in natural light after it is done. But the part I love the most is stringing it up after it has been buffed out, and then again when I get that first email from my customer after he or she receives the guitar. That is the payday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon
Wow, beautiful work Ken! Really nice.
Thanks Jamie. Much different than the capital finance modeling we used to do!
Old 03-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Casper View Post

Thanks Jamie. Much different than the capital finance modeling we used to do!
Yes, you have redeemed yourself! Me, not so much...
Old 03-30-2019, 01:17 PM

It's a fun thing seeing your guitar coming together.It's also fun too read people's responses (until now)in silence.Ken's the best,he's a perfectionist and the perfect gentleman,couldn't ask for a better man too do the job.Happy😌
Old 03-30-2019, 01:20 PM

Ken's the best🙂
Old 03-30-2019, 05:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

It’s looking great Ken. What is this body modeled after?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish View Post
It's a fun thing seeing your guitar coming together.It's also fun too read people's responses (until now)in silence.Ken's the best,he's a perfectionist and the perfect gentleman,couldn't ask for a better man too do the job.Happy😌
Hey Paul! Surprised to see your name on the thread! This one is your baby! Welcome to the Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight
It’s looking great Ken. What is this body modeled after?
Thanks Tim! I'm just a few days behind you. I will be shooting lacquer tomorrow. Nice to see all this gorgeous wood pop under finish. This guitar is my take on the Gibson L-OO.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:53 PM

I am getting underway with finishing. Over the weekend, I applied a couple of applications of filler, which largely filled the open pores:

After a light sanding this afternoon, I gave the body and neck a wash coat of shellac. The color and curl are really showing now:

Tomorrow, I shoot lacquer. Yeah!

Ken
Old 04-06-2019, 06:41 PM

Got lacquer on this week. Here are a couple of pix at the half way point. The color and grain is looking really nice under the finish. I took the picture below just before I level sanded the entire guitar:

Prior to shooting the final coats, I level sand the entire guitar to get a nice level base for shooting the last coats.

The guitar will just hang out now for a couple of weeks for the lacquer to cure. I'll post again in a couple of weeks when I am back to working on it. Check back then!

Ken
Old 04-06-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

That mahogany is just ridiculously nice. Looking good!
Old 04-06-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
That mahogany is just ridiculously nice. Looking good!

Thanks Jamie. It looks even better in person. I really love the black trim with the warm glow of the mahogany. I'll try to capture it with some photos when I am done. We never did talk guitars when we worked together. What style of playing do you do? Personally, I am more of a blues guy than anything else.

Ken
Old 04-06-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

What gorgeous clean lines and stunning woods ... love your work Kenneth!
Old 04-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Casper View Post
Thanks Jamie. It looks even better in person. I really love the black trim with the warm glow of the mahogany. I'll try to capture it with some photos when I am done. We never did talk guitars when we worked together. What style of playing do you do? Personally, I am more of a blues guy than anything else.

Ken
Ken, I agree, the black trim really complements that gorgeous mahogany. Your attention to detail is most impressive.

Back when we worked together, I did not yet play guitar, though I have always heard music in my head. I wanted to play but did not think I had the discipline to "master" it - the curse of being a perfectionist! So I did not even start, until about nine years ago. My wife got me guitar lessons, and I fixed up an old Sigma that I had but didn't play. I was hooked from day one. I play only fingerstyle, in part due to a chainsaw accident that makes it difficult to hold a pick but mostly due to aesthetic preference...I just think fingerstyle is more interesting and beautiful. I am trying to make up for lost time, but I do wish I had started sooner, preferably back when I could actually remember things! Guitars are miraculous things, and I admire their makers. I am lucky to have a few nice ones...and (heh heh) I hope to have a few more!
Old 04-07-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
What gorgeous clean lines and stunning woods ... love your work Kenneth!
Thanks David! Very much appreciated. Only another luthier can really appreciate what goes into all those clean lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon
I am lucky to have a few nice ones...and (heh heh) I hope to have a few more!
One can never have too many guitars!

Ken
Old 04-07-2019, 03:18 PM

Beautiful !!😊

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop