The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-10-2016, 05:34 AM

Got me a 70's Carvin Pre-amp and Power Amp that cranks out 500 watts per channel. Had Some Allison One's from Roy Allison but I sold those. They are still considered to be one of the most accurate reproducers of music ever built. They were rated to handle 1000 watts/channel. Turn the volume on 3 and blow the windows out.
Sold them for Big $$ and replaced them with some vintage KEF's in pristine condition.
I guess I qualify.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:10 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
Not an audiophile, in fact I didn't even know what that meant not so long ago... but I appreciate nice sounding equipment.

One time I was in the market for headphones and found a forum that was for headphones. I didn't realize it was a audiophile specific forum. I asked some questions on what headphones I should buy , between the few I had narrowed it down to. Heh.... I pretty much got "run out of town".. guess they didn't like what I picked out for myself, lol. That is when I learned what being an audiophile meant... probably not the nicest way to be introduced to that culture, lol

PS,
Just took a look and I still had the page bookmarked. This was the site:
http://www.head-fi.org/f/
Don't feel bad. It's like going to the vintage section of the Martin forum and asking "what does vintage mean." People flip out.

The good news is that AGF may be, relative to that, the friendliest place on the Interweb.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:36 PM

The good news for audiophiles is that a lifelong system can be made from not a lot of scratch. Www.parttimeaudiophile.com among others reviews less expensive gear. If I was on a tight budget, I'd get used equipment, electrostatics, a decent used technics turntable, and a NAD amp. Super cheap computers and dacs abound so I wouldn't kill you with detail. Just know that the $800 Takamine may actually sound better than the 5k Martin.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:59 PM

I have a late 70's/early 80's Sony receiver/turntable unit my father bought when I was a kid. He wanted it to look more like an expensive receiver, so he removed the turntable (which was pretty much junk) and made a nice top out of wood to match the side panels. Have an old Technics SL-5300. The old Sony speakers are gone, so I'll probably build my own cabinets for fun.

We also used to have an old console, and my father loved to tinker. So he somehow wired small colored bulbs from some Christmas lighting past the crossover. This would give a really cool light effect when music played. Don't know what the inspiration was, but that was over 35 years ago...
Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 PM

in my living room for my tv/dvd sound, i run a 1961 hhscott 299a integrated amp thru two 12" jensens with four tweeters each side. for cd playback and vinyl playback, i use a dual turntable, a sony es cd player, two 1963 dynaco st 70s in mono with each powering a front jbl 4311. there are two jbl 4311s in the rear running two 1963 mcinstosh 250s, early generation SS amps. this all runs from a 1961 mcintosh sx 110 receiver.

for my garage, i'm running a modern cd player thru a 70s SAE mkIVC 100 watt amp into two 1971 infinity 2000a electrostatic speakers. i bought the speakers in a local garage sale for $7.50, replaced both woofers for $75 and did a cap job on them. total was less than $100 and they sound fantastic!

this doesn't count my computer room with my recording and playback system. everywhere i go, there is music!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-11-2016, 09:39 PM

I have Parasound electronics: P7 preamp, Two Halo A-21 amps, CD-1 for Redbook CDs, ZCD + ZDac for other shiny-disk audio, a Thorens Turntable with a Shure V15 Type IV cartridge (dreaming of a Rega), 2 each custom 10" (fast!) subwoofers, and a pair of MTM mains I built along the lines of the original D'Appolito Gemini design.

There is no stereo, the music just floats in the room. If the musicians are sitting in chairs I can hear the chairs creak as they shift while they play. Turn it on and world can go away, crank it up and there is no other world :-)

*everything* is a tone control
Old 05-11-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
The good news for audiophiles is that a lifelong system can be made from not a lot of scratch. Www.parttimeaudiophile.com among others reviews less expensive gear. If I was on a tight budget, I'd get used equipment, electrostatics, a decent used technics turntable, and a NAD amp. Super cheap computers and dacs abound so I wouldn't kill you with detail. Just know that the $800 Takamine may actually sound better than the 5k Martin.
I wasn't aware of that site, but am I missing something? Most of the reviews on that site seem to be fairly expensive stuff. His editor choices for one, have systems that are $100k:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/most-wanted/

Just wondering if I'm looking at the wrong part of his site.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-12-2016, 04:27 AM

Oh he's got high end stuff, but I'll find his recommendations for the less expensive stuff--stay tuned.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:58 AM

Ok, here are his recs for inexpensive gear:

ELAC speakers (debut series), reviewed here:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/...-loudspeakers/

Here's the link to Amazon for the speakers
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=ELAC+debut

He's also a fan of the Tekton SEAS Pendragon, around. $2500.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/...eas-pendragon/

I can't more strongly recommend Vinnie Rossi's LIO, a modular component that you can price out:

http://vinnierossi.com/configure-lio/.

Now, admittedly that will end up being at least $7500, which is a lot.

So, back in the real world, If I were to really pare down, I'd spend the most on speakers, either the SEAS Pendragons (best sound for the money on the market IMO) or go with a set of used electrostatics, like Magnepan. Trust me, this where spending the most percentage on speakers pays off. $2500 Pendragons could be your Grail speaker.

Let's ignore vinyl input for simplicity's sake. I'm assuming you have a computer, which means you can use that plus iTunes or audirvana to run your digital files. We could find you an inexpensive DAC and a used preamp/receiver (Denon is my favorite, either from eBay or crutchfield.)

I think we could get you through the door for <5k total and you'd have a killer system!

Also, always check Crutchfield's scratch and dent section. Some major deals to be had there. Also Amazon prime closeouts. Focal floorstanders going for 9500 retail is around 17k.

You see where I believe the speaker is the most important part?

Last edited by CoolerKing; 05-13-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:30 PM

Use to be real into it, but have been living with the same system for a lot of years now. At some point a system becomes almost to "revealing" and simply reveals flaws in the recording rather than enhancing clarity, presence and sound-stage.

Hafler Iris preamp, HaflerXL280 power amp into Spica TC-50 satellites and a Spica subwoofer. Rotel CD player. Harmon Kardon T-65C turntable with an Ortofon om-40. Assorted cabling. The oldest bit is a Adcom tuner from 1884. If it works good, why replace it?

TW
Old 05-13-2016, 04:11 PM

Haven't pursued it for years, but I do have two favorite setups:

The old McIntosh MC2200 and modern Martin Logans.

McIntosh mono 40s and Bozak 302 Urbans.

Both setups driven by mainlined CD players.

And I have a few dust collectors in the garage:

Mc MC75, Mc MC250, Mc MC2100, Boulder 500, a surprisingly accurate APT Holman pre, buncha Bozaks, and misc. other junk. I'd get another pair of JBL 4311b if they were easy to get in good shape.

I can't avid using subjective terms in this last statement: If I use a preamp, I like the old McIntosh C-11 (or the nearly-electronically-identical C-22) because I find it "musical", whatever that means. The Marantz 7c is too "sweet" for this old rocker.

Last edited by H165; 05-14-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I have an excellent, though somewhat vintage, setup consisting mainly of:
Allison Acoustics IC-20 speakers
Luxman R-117 Stereo Receiver
JVC-K2 CD player (with extensive after market modification by Paradox)
And of course great music to listen to

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Ok, here are his recs for inexpensive gear:

ELAC speakers (debut series), reviewed here:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/...-loudspeakers/

Here's the link to Amazon for the speakers
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=ELAC+debut
These ELAC look interesting. Made in China but apparently designed by Andrew Jones and appear to be cutting cost by direct marketing

Another excellent speaker (said to be budget audiophile class) I would definitely consider also with direct marketing, although a bit more expensive but made here the US is SVS.... For example the SVS Prime Series Tower is $499 ea. where the ELAC Debut F6 Tower is $379 ea. link here http://www.svsound.com/pages/prime-systems

Quote:
He's also a fan of the Tekton SEAS Pendragon, around. $2500.

[url]https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/01/24/review
So, back in the real world, If I were to really pare down, I'd spend the most on speakers, either the SEAS Pendragons (best sound for the money on the market IMO) or go with a set of used electrostatics, like Magnepan. Trust me, this where spending the most percentage on speakers pays off.

.You see where I believe the speaker is the most important part? [/QUOTE]

It would interesting to hear the Tekton SEAS Pandragon , the web sight does not say the actual type of cabinet ? I notice Tekton also make a studio Monitor (albeit not w/SEAS) .... Having SEAS drivers in my Amphion studio monitors I do think they are outstanding accurate transducers

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 05-14-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:05 AM

1960's era Fisher 400 receiver w/ brass faceplate,
(8) 6" Celestion speakers installed in ceiling
Thoren's turntable
Nice clean stereo sound.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Use to be real into it, but have been living with the same system for a lot of years now. At some point a system becomes almost to "revealing" and simply reveals flaws in the recording rather than enhancing clarity, presence and sound-stage.

Hafler Iris preamp, HaflerXL280 power amp into Spica TC-50 satellites and a Spica subwoofer. Rotel CD player. Harmon Kardon T-65C turntable with an Ortofon om-40. Assorted cabling. The oldest bit is a Adcom tuner from 1884. If it works good, why replace it?

TW
ha! 1884! that is an old one.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN