The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Strings updates

I have Newtone Masterclass double wound roundcore 13-56 on my Larrivee OM and Guild D-120 for the past 2 weeks and they really sound fine. I play in dadgad and other lower tunings and I can play for hours with these.

I also have a set of Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum 13-57 on my Avalon and these are a great string also.

I think with the above strings and the Pierre Bensusan DADGAD Wyres strings I'm pretty well set in what strings to use finally.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

The medium gauge Newtone Masterclass Doublewound strings saved me from making a bad mistake and selling or trading my spruce / mahogany Taylor GO... (just thought i could not make that mahogany guitar come alive to my likes)... A great tone.. and just seem to very "alive"?... i really liked them. Soon to put in my next order!

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 05-05-2019, 04:03 PM

Default Strings updates

I have gone on a similar journey and think you and I are on the same page. I have got Spectrum’s on my G23 at the moment and like them but don’t think they are the answer. I am about to put Newtone double wound on next on both my G23 and my OM24. I think Newtone and DR Sunbeams are my favourite on most of my guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 05-05-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I have gone on a similar journey and think you and I are on the same page. I have got Spectrum’s on my G23 at the moment and like them but don’t think they are the answer. I am about to put Newtone double wound on next on both my G23 and my OM24. I think Newtone and DR Sunbeams are my favourite on most of my guitars.
Playing daily, how long would the Newtone's last? Ditto the DR Sunbeams? I've always used coated strings - mostly lights, many D'Addario, but also Elixirs. Simply curious, as budget is always a factor, but tone is more important.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-06-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
Playing daily, how long would the Newtone's last? Ditto the DR Sunbeams? I've always used coated strings - mostly lights, many D'Addario, but also Elixirs. Simply curious, as budget is always a factor, but tone is more important.

Playing around an hour a day on these I have found they last quite well , say around 6-8 weeks or so. I don’t tend to wear strings out quickly in general with my body chemistry.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 05-06-2019, 09:33 AM

Just put John pearse silk PB on my G23 not sure if I like them yet maybe give it a few more hours in the saddle to make sure otherwise it’s back to the d’darrio ej 16..
Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
Just put John pearse silk PB on my G23 not sure if I like them yet maybe give it a few more hours in the saddle to make sure otherwise it’s back to the d’darrio ej 16..
Do they (silk) have enough to drive the top? I've never used them on anything larger than a folk.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:37 PM

In my opinion they wont compare well to the EJ16 which I think is a superb string but I cant use them because of the tension.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:23 AM

To be honest the difference I think I in the strumming the silks have a more folky sound to them and can strum quite hard , while the EJ 16 are more ( mmm best way to discribe ) is scratchy , but still sound good , fingerpicking the EJ16 are better while the silks are duller
I need 2 G23 one with EJ6 on it ,other with the pearse silks, strumming on one fingerpicking on the other, overall its a draw, I prefer to fingerpick ......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion