The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 PM

Default Without You - (cover of Harry Nilsson's version of this Badfinger song)

Yes I know....I have no business even trying to sing this but what the heck, I decided to give it a shot because I enjoy a challenge. When I felt good enough to record it I flubbed the first take but kept recording. Then I recorded a second take that at least got me all the way through. I used that second take for the video.

Couple of notes about how I mixed the audio. I took the line at the end of each verse from the first take and mixed it in to the second take. This gives a voice doubling effect that is real. On the choruses I recorded additional vocal with only the mic twice then adjusted levels and mixed the additional two layers in. Some people ask m what software I use for those vocal effects and I have to tell them it's actually real singing, not a digital effect. All came together very fast. I had to tune way way down to sing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WWf4CBqlZA
Old 04-19-2011, 09:05 PM

I remember this song being played once every ten minutes when it was first released. I grew tired of it then but now it's nice to hear again.

Sounds like you have fun making this. I'm pretty sure I'll never get up the nerve to show my mug in YT.

Blast from the past for sure. Thx!

The only nit I have is the vocal level seems to jump 10db at around 1:22. Startling listening on hphones.

Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell