The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2020, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the good info on the laminated backs of some Guild guitars like the one pictured. I know laminated holds up well to temperature and humidity changes, better than solid wood. When a back is laminated, what is the 'wood' on the inside of the back? Is it a tonewood or something else entirely?
Old 09-22-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Thanks for the good info on the laminated backs of some Guild guitars like the one pictured. I know laminated holds up well to temperature and humidity changes, better than solid wood. When a back is laminated, what is the 'wood' on the inside of the back? Is it a tonewood or something else entirely?
I believe it's a tonewood. My Guild is a maple, it's a wonderful guitar. Great strummer or fingerpicking. I love it.
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 09-22-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I’m almost certain the inside wood is the same tonewood as the outside. The backs are three layer, all wood. Guild has their own press that they’ve moved to each new US factory for over fifty years now. Here’s a post from Wade Hampton on some Guild history:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...7&postcount=10
If you visit the let’s talk Guild forum you can get much more information.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:53 PM

Here's a great clip for 2 reasons,

1. - It's filmed in front of the actual press used to make the Guild arch backs.
2. - It's a superb sounding maple jumbo.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-22-2020, 11:28 PM

Xlnt info on all this here. I really appreciate the explanations of the Guild archtops and Wade's history of Guild was very interesting and relevant. I do want the very most guitar for accompanying me solo but it has to be maple at this point. I have other guitars to cover other frequencies when needed. When I play a series of softer songs or in a quiet venue I play my Bourgeois Redwood/Koa.
Thanks very much to each who has been helping out on this thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion