The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
That Guild F512 I mentioned was also a very risky purchase, so I know the feeling. It was known to have two cosmetic gouges on the edge of the top - through the finish but not through the top. But there was barely any additional description from the ebay ad, and the seller (who I contacted) couldn't add anything since it was already boxed up. The real problem was that it was listed as "for parts or not working." So it was unknown whether there were additional serious problems, and I couldn't find out!

In my case, the seller said he'd pay for return shipping if I didn't like it. That certainly got me off the fence. I couldn't lose!

And I totally won on this one! The cosmetic gouges were the only issue, which I had sealed up to near invisibility. Otherwise it was a near new holy grail Guild F512 burst built in Guild's new Oxnard, California plant at basically a 65% discount. On occasion, taking a risk really pays off!

What a find! I will always have a soft spot for American made Guilds. Yours looks amazing!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-07-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
That Guild F512 I mentioned was also a very risky purchase, so I know the feeling. It was known to have two cosmetic gouges on the edge of the top - through the finish but not through the top. But there was barely any additional description from the ebay ad, and the seller (who I contacted) couldn't add anything since it was already boxed up. The real problem was that it was listed as "for parts or not working." So it was unknown whether there were additional serious problems, and I couldn't find out!

In my case, the seller said he'd pay for return shipping if I didn't like it. That certainly got me off the fence. I couldn't lose!

And I totally won on this one! The cosmetic gouges were the only issue, which I had sealed up to near invisibility. Otherwise it was a near new holy grail Guild F512 burst built in Guild's new Oxnard, California plant at basically a 65% discount. On occasion, taking a risk really pays off!

I agree that taking a chance can sometimes be worth it - I bought a guitar that per the seller had a ding that when I got it I had to hunt for it, and it was so small that I had a hard time finding it! No problem - the guitar was less than half of the new price, and otherwise perfect.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
What a find! I will always have a soft spot for American made Guilds. Yours looks amazing!
Thanks, Pieter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
I agree that taking a chance can sometimes be worth it - I bought a guitar that per the seller had a ding that when I got it I had to hunt for it, and it was so small that I had a hard time finding it! No problem - the guitar was less than half of the new price, and otherwise perfect.
Gotta love a great deal! My used but great condition Martin 12-string was an ebay auction that I got for half of new price. It seriously needed a setup, but since then it's been great.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-07-2020, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Love the burst on the Guild. It seem that, with the possibility of a return as part of of the equation, it’s less of a gamble and more of a calculated risk, with only a small bit of down side if it does not work out. The seller agreeing to pay for return shipping is rare. Good for you and glad it worked out. The pics are Kinda giving me GAS for a 12 string.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion